Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One item that is overlooked a lot of the time is flares. The 15-minute flares are great for emergency lighting and a form of heat and if you have the 30-minute flares sometimes they will last long enough to get damp (not soaked) wood started for a fire.

They are easy enough to pack in your packs as you can stand them up on end and they do not take that much room… I keep them in the truck, boat, packs and at the cave.

Gunner...

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Rock on. I was thinking about flares the other night and put them on my list of things to pick up this weekend at the store. I think I'll pick up a few more than I originally intended to now.

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
I had a friend at the local VFW club that was a retired railroad conductor. He gave me a whole case of new 15 min. RR flares ! He said they fell off the train :D: I vacuum packed several dozen individually and still have a sealed five gallon bucket full.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good, nothing wrong with that. It just surprises me that not too many people talk about these in their packs. Some do but most times you never hear about flares.

When you need one, you will be glad you have them along..!

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Could be very handy,they do burn hot and could actually be used as a weapon to ward off predators. On the negative side , the smoke they give of will choke you to death,if there is little or no wind the smoke will hang around you forever,irritating ,eyes nose, and throat.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great point I guess I should have wrote that in there... use in open area or with ventilation!!!

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you King, thank you very much...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Please, please, please be careful when you use flares. You're all intelligent people, but I'm aware of some negative outcomes from well meant flare lighting. Just a little thought to keep in your mind.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Ok , does anybody know where one can buy new 15 min flares? I can only find OLD ones at flea markets and some of them are questionable.

Rifleman 336

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check wal-mart and online... You should have some luck there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts