Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Only reason I mostly have automatics now is that manuals have become hard to find in any vehicle less than 30 years old. Which itself is not a problem but 30 year old vehicles start to have a lot of rust and hard to find parts compared to just 20 year old ones.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
And folks wonder why I own a 33 year old truck and 29 year old Camaro both with Manual Transmissions! Hell half my Drivers Ed students that have been watching Mom and Dad drive an automatic for the last 15 years dont even know how to start a car or put an automatic in gear, lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
And folks wonder why I own a 33 year old truck and 29 year old Camaro both with Manual Transmissions! Hell half my Drivers Ed students that have been watching Mom and Dad drive an automatic for the last 15 years dont even know how to start a car or put an automatic in gear, lol!
Wait until your knees go bad, automatic is a blessing, I drove standards until it hurt, now I have an auto truck. I still have one standard toy, 1996 Jeep TJ. Another reason a manual is great is you can bump start it with an almost dead battery and a little slope in the driveway.

I call it my portable winch.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,107 Posts
Wife and I own four vehicles, all with a five speed manual. We talked about buying an SUV with an auto, but we both hate slush buckets. Maybe when we will at age 90.

·
I have control issues
6,127 Posts
Besides the fact that the youngsters can't drive a stick (I learned on a stick - 3 on the tree in driver ed, and 4 on the floor that my parents had) the OTHER benefit is that if you lose your brakes on a downhill, you can gear down with a manual and use the engine to "brake"/. Lose your brakes on a downhill in an automatic, and you're pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Some you can, some you can’t.
Every one my family has ever owned has that capability. Maybe the CVTs or dial-o-matics don't?

+1000 on the manual transmissions. My DDs since Junior in college have all been manuals. My wife likes autos, but I would take a manual any day for actual driving not sitting in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
You can steal a manual easier with a couple guys and a trailer. Pop it out of gear and push it on.

But I own 2 manual cars. I like driving them much more because I can choose engine rpm and therefore place it where I want on the power/torque curves.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My '63 Falcon with the 2-speed Fordomatic only had to be goin' maybe 15mph to start when you dropped it into Low. Damned thing had to be rebuilt at 495,000 miles. POS tranny didn't even make it to half a million. ;^)

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,053 Posts
I WENT out of state to buy my HEAVY truck('94 3500 dually ) just because it had the 5spd manny tranny to go with the 454BB along with 4WD. Hard to find and just about as bullet proof as you can find for something that will haul tons on a full size PU.

I prefer a manny tranny but sometimes you just cannot find them in the vehicle you are looking for.
I don't even know if you can get anything in a GM Ford or Ram NOT DIESEL with a manny tranny anymore.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts