Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen similar topics, however I think this is too imortant not to go over again.

I read the thread regarding "looking tactical" and came to the conclusion that that is probably only a quarter of the issue. I think what defines you as a victim or not is your overall appearance, not how many buckles you have on your backpack.

I can tell you that working in law enforcement, I learned very quickly that your appearance determines whether or not suspects fight, shoot, or run from you 95 percent of the time. It's just nature. Predators determine prey based on the likelyhood of perceived success. Criminals/Raiders/D-bags do the same. Could this person wound/kill me? Does this look like it could be a long fight? Etc. These are the factors that determine whether you are attacked, followed, or generally screwed with. Could the tactical look keep you from getting screwed with? Of course, but the trump card will always be how you carry yourself and the likely hood of their perceived success against what you look like.

It pains me to say, but law enforcement is the epitomy of this concept. What do you think when you see a fat officer/deputy on the street? I think: someone is going to beat him and kill him with his own gun. What about the in shape/ I look like I just got back from the sh*t jar-head looking cop? You probably think: I don't even want him to see me because he is probably looking for someone to screw with. Yeah, sure you might think he is all gym but if you are fighting a cop, it is most certainly the fat slob. The meathead will be a nightmare far more times than the the slob will surprise you. There is only a few Fedor Emelianenko's, Roy Nelson's and Rulon Gardner's out there (cauliflower ear in general should steer you clear). Just remember: there are always exceptions.

The key to most things (prepping, self defense, work, life, love, family) is being well rounded. If Average Joe has a tactical backpack in regular clothes, isn't stick skinny or obese and looks like he knows where he is going, nobody will probably follow him or care. If the same guy is decked out like a swat team member, leap frogging, and cutting the pie down the street, they know he probably has something they want. As much as I hate to say it: If either of those guys is 100 pounds overweight, he looks like prey. Skinny Joe could go either way. I know that when I see a skinny dude looking for a fight, I always consider that he might be a "scrappy" guy. Nobody thinks that of a slob. They think: He will gas before he gets to me.

I don't mean to hate on the plus size members of society I just think that your build probably determines your general appearance/ability to blend in more than your outfit.

In closing, here is a humorous article I stumbled upon while researching this subject.

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/...he-dvm-from-fat-body-to-not-so-fat-body-diet/

Sorry it was such a long post, but I think the discussion is always worth it.

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
pfft my fat ass topped out to about 380 by my sophomore year in highschool. I dropped it down to 240. You do stand out when you are huge.
I'm still fairly big, but my size doesnt make my stand out, just my dashing good looks.
I tried to join the CIA but they where all like "noooo Cordero, your dashing good looks would blow your cover"

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
it's socially acceptable to to "rag" on the fat people so don't feel too bad. Just go ahead and do it. that way everybody else who thinks they're "smokin hot" and skinny will like you. No worries.
I think some of the "fat slobs" will surprise all of the "smokin hot" skinny people IF something went down.
I don't trust anyone. I wouldn't turn my back on anyone either. I don't care what they look like. Especially the female of the species.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I wont say fat, but overweight will no help you in a SHTF scenario. I love hearing people here say "I will have more energy cause I have more stored fat to make me last longer" it just makes me role over laughing. Granted they may have some strength, but they will never be able to chase down a suspect, or be able to maintain physical activity for any duration of time. Which means if I go up against overweight you (whom ever you are) I am going to last longer and fight longer with more ferocity and will most likely win the battle. If you don't want to be in shape then you plain and simply wont be ready when S does HTF. It needs to be part of your preps. But then again Genevieve is right, i wont and don't underestimate/trust anyone. Regardless of what your wearing or look like.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The way we see ourselves and the way others see us are often 2 different things. I dropped 24 lbs in the last 3 months (just eating better mostly) and now weigh 225. (I am 6'2") and I dont think I look a whole lot different but lots of people have commented on the weight loss. Also, I feel like I am a approachable guy, little kids like me immediately, etc. With that said my wife, and sometimes my friends say I look like I would kill somebody on a regular basis during initial interactions with people I dont know in particular. While I am always tuned into my surroundings I am not looking for a fight 24/7 and dont see myself coming off as an angry guy. So, like I said we often see ourselves differently than others do.

I will say this, when I see a guy, particularly an MMA wannabe or guy with lots of ink and huge ring gagues in his ears wearing shorts in 10 degree weather to show off his tats I think insecure douch bag. (And those of you who think I am anti ink dont, I have had a shaved head for the last 4 years (my hair aint what it used to be) and tats on my back. The tattos are for me and have meaning, I dont need to show them to the rest of the world and most people dont even know I have them.)

My point is I often get a gut feeling of either threat or victim from anybody 'trying too hard' to potray a 'look', I think its the trying to hard that draws attention. Be comfortable in who you are becuase you know yourself and you will most likely be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Genevieve: I don't dissagree that SOME large people will provide some surprises. My point was that if (indeed IF) by some stretch of the imagination, a nightmarish SHTF situation arises, the obese will be likely be looked at as possible victims in my opinion. Thus, the more you are seen as a target, the more likely someone hits their mark.

However, I remember reading about Andrei Chikatilo (the russian serial killer) and there was talk regarding his growing up durring WWII in Russia. As some know, there were some serious incidents of cannablism during this time. I rememeber what stood out the most were people talking about how feared the well fed were during that time. If you saw a fat man walking down the street, you went the opposite way. So I guess in their particular SHTF, size trumped all. Not super relevent but an entertaining thought.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
This topic has been way over thought.

Bottom line: You need to be flexible. Be aware that you may be judged by what you are wearing and carrying and be ready to deal with the consequences. You may not plan to go through roadblocks or get rounded up by thieves or military, but how many times does life go by your plans during a disaster. Be prepared for anything and everything. And your choices are not either/or. You can do stuff like have a military backpack but have an orange rain cover. The rain cover isn't for rain, it's for social camouflage. You can also have a civilian backpack and put a camo rain cover on it. Presto chango, you are a chameleon.

And I'm sorry if it hurts your feeling to be called heavy, out of shape or fat. It's a simple fact that fit people are going to be able to handle more physical stress. If you are overweight and out of shape, do something about it other than make excuses. If you are disabled, do what you can and prepare for your limitations. During a disaster, very few people will care about excuses. If you think you're in shape, test yourself. How fast can you run a mile? Can you hoist your BOB and walk all day? If you haven't done it in a while, try it.

If there is a disaster, you may not get a second chance. You have to be prepared.

Az

·
Registered
210 Posts
How is an anti fat people thread related to looking tactical?
I never loooked at a fat guy and said, he looks tactical. Are SWAT or military people fat where you come from?

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I am probably less likely to shoot a fat guy wearing military gear. He looks less threatening than the buff jar head individual. Might not be that he is less of a threat, but I mistrust the lean hungry looking individuals.

But than again I am not predatory. I just don't allow poisonous snakes in my living room.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
I think, atleast around my parts, you have to be fat and bald headed to be an officer of the law. Gray man is my approach. I still have camo, but it is for the most part, civilian camo. I have an ALICE but with a proper, earth tone, rain cover, guess what? It is not an ALiCE, it is just a pack. You can still be tactical with your approach just compensate and make it a little gray. I have military web gear, but guess what? When i throw a jacket on over it, i have no more web gear. There are so many ways to use tactical gear and still blend in. Just use your imagination. We are all only limited by our brain capacity. The only thing i have yet to figure out how to gray man is my RPK. Any ideas?

For the most part, i do plan on bugging in. I am in a good, easily defensible area. I have food, water, and ammo, to last me a good while. Also if things get really bad i have a BOL.

·
Custom User Title Member
238 Posts
I wont say fat, but overweight will no help you in a SHTF scenario. I love hearing people here say "I will have more energy cause I have more stored fat to make me last longer" it just makes me role over laughing. Granted they may have some strength, but they will never be able to chase down a suspect, or be able to maintain physical activity for any duration of time. Which means if I go up against overweight you (whom ever you are) I am going to last longer and fight longer with more ferocity and will most likely win the battle. If you don't want to be in shape then you plain and simply wont be ready when S does HTF. It needs to be part of your preps. But then again Genevieve is right, i wont and don't underestimate/trust anyone. Regardless of what your wearing or look like.
Im 6' about 275lbs currently....overweight? most would say yes.

I don't have to last longer or fight harder...I just have to shoot faster and more accurately. :D:

I have always been somewhat overweight, I do feel I carry myself well. Most people usually guess I'm around 230ish, not 270.

Growing up it was perceived I was slower, or easier to run from. I surprised many friends and/or bullies when I was able to chase them down or hang with them all day long in the paintball woods, or hike all day with a 50 lb pack, etc etc.

Not everyone who appears "overweight" or "out of shape" is an easy target.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Perception is usually wrong and those that think they are superior to others usually find out the hard way they are wrong. In the situations outlined, it will probably kill those that think they are so much better than others.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Size does NOT matter. Where looks come into play is when it involves camouflage. Camouflage is your friend.

The grey man concept is valid if there is a structured element of society in place. The idea behind the grey man is for a person to be able to move around an urban area without drawing attention to himself. That's why he would dress as a telephone repairman, a utility worker and so on. But this idea doesn't work if society has completely collapsed.

As to people being fat and such, I have seen what most people would consider to be "fat people" that would fool them. Some of the heavier people are not good for long distance jogs but they can be overwhelming at short distances and at very high speeds. I know of one police lieutenant that used to tend a farm and used to weigh in at over 400 pounds. He could wad a guy up like a piece of paper in the blink of an eye. Seriously, if you blinked, you missed the fun.

When or if the SHTF, camouflage and forethought will be your best allies. Don't be seen by prying eyes and you can't become prey. Don't be seen and the runners don't know that you're there to chase you down. Don't be seen and nobody can aim to shoot you. Don't be seen and you can move past an area of danger without having to fight. Snipers, recon people and other elite forces people understand this rather well. Information is often much more important than a fight. Information is what finally undid Osama bin Laden. When they got the good info, they got the bad guy.

·
phoenix rising
25 Posts
6'and275lbs.?That calculates out to a BMI of over 37 and that's knocking on the doors of morbid obesity.If you're over 30,have a waist over 40 or so,then your triglycerides are up,and your HDL is down,andyou'r at a minimum at least pre diabetic,hypertensive,and have endothelial dysfunction, a tendency to gout and psoriasis, and early osteoarthritis of your hips and knees.All this means that your eventual diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy and peripheral vascular disease will prevent you from seeing your target,pulling the trigger with your numb or tingling fingers, and not being able to run your 4ass second 40 yard dashes anymore.And we haven't even mentioned atrial fibrillation,sudden death,or depression yet.Drop 100lbs and and survive.I did.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts