Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been of the *survivalist/prepper* mindset for many years. As the mom of 7, I have HAD to be frugal and resourceful.

I have noticed, especially as the economy has faltered in the past 6 months, more and more people coming *on board*.
I see them on forums I frequent.
I run into them in stores.
Friends and acquaintances that never thought of having more than 3 days worth of food are asking me for advice.
Part of me, I have to admit, is annoyed.
I mean, I've been telling folks for years. Couldn't they see the same signs I did? Part of me wants to treat them like they are a *little slow*, (as my grandpa used to call those people that took a while to catch on)

Another part of me wants to encourage them. I want others to come on *board*. I want people to be less dependent on *entitlement* programs, less dependent on living on credit, less dependent on food banks and other charities.I also think that the more people that are *on board*, the fewer people that will become potential *burdens* or threats to those of us that do prepare if the proverbial Sh*t Hits The Fan.
I mean, why would my neighbor want to steal my preps, if he/she is equally prepared?
I have also noticed that when a non-prepper starts turning into a prepper, they also take interest in things such as the Constitution, politics (local, state and national), their community, even the environment.

So, I go with the part of me that wants to encourage them. I have showed others how to can or garden, how to put together a BOB, what to stock in a first aid kit. I talk to some of them about the dangers of Gm foods and Monsanto.I share my views on Constitutional issues.
I know some of what I say and show them will be cast off as *too extreme* or *too difficult*, but I hope some of what I pass on will stick with them.

I appreciate the videos that Kev (and others) have posted. I frequently direct people to Kev's youtube site or to here or similar sites online.

Has anyone else noticed more interest in *prepping* from friends. relatives, etc.?
How do you handle the questions?
Do you take the time to talk to others about this?
How do you handle those that think you are being *nuts*?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a natural gift of observation. I see things that most others miss.
I've noticed one neighbor just got another propane pig,set it right next to his first.Set of duelly tracks going up to it tells me he got it filled.
I'm noticing lots of people cutting and stacking firewood,who normally didn't.
I'm noticing the dumpster at the thrift store that is usually filled with donated clothing has been empty lately.People aren't donating,they're saving it.
I'm seeing fewer people shopping walmart.And those walking out have hard goods,not frivolous junk.
I'm seeing its harder to sell on EBay.People ain't spending on toys.
I'm seeing LOTS of people filling gas cans.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i've taken to putting togather my own forum for people who i know and meet. its primarily for my group but also for people near my area. its basicly a condensed version of this forum. that and i hopefully will get around to putting up a web site some time soon as well. other than that yeah i get annoyed some times answering the same questions over and over but thats a good thing like you said if the person who lives next to me has a years worth of food hes less likly to rob me cause hes stocked up to.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Becarful it sounds like you have developed a reputation for storing up food/supplies. if something happens look at all the ppl who will be knocking on your door wanting what you got!!!

i would 1st tell them that you dont stock up anymore, that you only keep about 2 weeks worth of food. then tell them how to do what every they are asking about. but make sure you get accross your not stocking up anymore and havent for a while now. but you do remember what they need to do.

i sure wouldnt want ppl i knew knocking on my door begging. or worse they tell strangers where they can get stuff

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
true cryptkeeper but the town were in where most everyone is now a preper. i've infected the town to this madness that is survivalism.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I try to encourage and educate(with my limited knowledge) every one I know. Those at work, chuch, close family, and a few of my more inteligent clients. I'm not worried about people I know coming to my door looking for a hand out because I'm moving soon. I'm not concearned aboot people knowing that I have preps but peple who don't care what I have and want it any way. Crime is going to jump when the economy goes bust.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Yes! many people I have talked to in the past, now what to talk with me about prepping.

I try not to turn anyone away. if I have the information, I spred it around.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Seems I've been a survivalist/prepper/whatever for years, just never thought of it that way.

I've been called a 'boy scout' for alway planning for a worst case scenario- I was raised to believe it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Saw this economic collapse coming since the late 90's, but honestly didn't expect it to be this harsh. I'm in better shape than most since I've eliminated all debt except for my mortgage, but my income has dropped below what I am comfortable with- so the house goes.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Madmike:
I too have tried several times to warn my family to no real avail. So, now that things are getting tight, I pass along good deals on food sales, and they seem grateful for the tips.

That's the best I can do for them as I cannot afford to prep for them.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have been a prepper for 30 years, yea I'm old as dirt. I have every tool known to exist and some that aren't. Up to and including a backhoe. I live on 30 acres and usually grow a garden if I think I'll have the time that season. I never stored more than a couple weeks worth of MRE's in case we get snowed in. Now however I have been going to Sam's club and buying bulk each payday. I would really like to get an Idea of how much of each food item I need to equal two years worth. I can supplement our food by expanding the garden's size and canning. I have a six foot tiller for the farm tractor,(Massey 165), so it takes me about 15 minutes to till up a garden WAY too big to take care of.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Has anyone else noticed more interest in *prepping* from friends. relatives, etc.?
Yup, seen interest, and helped them some on board.
I handle the questions from individuals independently. If they are good questions, I engage them. If they are the questions of people that seem not to have it straight in their heads, I try to guide them. If those don't work, I change the subject. Lately..... it's been more of the subject changing, since the few that I engage are more in panic mode.
I limit the time, lately. I've actually switched to "quite prep" mode, and generally engage only those that show hope, or already know.
I don't talk to nuts that might think I'm the nut.

As for new people, I'll talk in general terms if they show promise, and point them to websites.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I was called a boyscout as well, I plan for everything....

Ive had a few people who have told me i was a gun nut ask me what gun to get. I got my roomate to build a BOB.

so yes i have noticed, but i dont think many know i do this(hell my GF barley knows), they just know i like guns...

T

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Around here? No way, no how. I spent 30 minutes on the transit system a couple days ago and counted 18 pairs of mug-me brand headphones.
Exactly what I have been saying, some people make themselves a target. The way I dress, 9 out of 10 people will think "no way that guy has any money". I carry a Glock 27 for the other 1 out of 10. I drive a beat up 20 year old station wagon that I keep in good mechanical condition, but otherwise, don't wash or paint it, ect. I mention my preps in college only in reference to my hiking hobby, as in survival skills are important for the hobby. When I frame it that way, people are more likely to listen and say "that makes sense", rather than thinking of me as a nutty survivalist. I also practice weekly with my firearms, and I have a few close friends come over and shoot with me. We are all of the same mindset, and each of us is prepping. All of our handguns shoot the same ammo, and our long guns complement each other's weapon.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have been of the *survivalist/prepper* mindset for many years. As the mom of 7, I have HAD to be frugal and resourceful.

I have noticed, especially as the economy has faltered in the past 6 months, more and more people coming *on board*.
I see them on forums I frequent.
I run into them in stores.
Friends and acquaintances that never thought of having more than 3 days worth of food are asking me for advice.
Part of me, I have to admit, is annoyed.
I mean, I've been telling folks for years. Couldn't they see the same signs I did? Part of me wants to treat them like they are a *little slow*, (as my grandpa used to call those people that took a while to catch on)

Another part of me wants to encourage them. I want others to come on *board*. I want people to be less dependent on *entitlement* programs, less dependent on living on credit, less dependent on food banks and other charities.I also think that the more people that are *on board*, the fewer people that will become potential *burdens* or threats to those of us that do prepare if the proverbial Sh*t Hits The Fan.
I mean, why would my neighbor want to steal my preps, if he/she is equally prepared?
I have also noticed that when a non-prepper starts turning into a prepper, they also take interest in things such as the Constitution, politics (local, state and national), their community, even the environment.

So, I go with the part of me that wants to encourage them. I have showed others how to can or garden, how to put together a BOB, what to stock in a first aid kit. I talk to some of them about the dangers of Gm foods and Monsanto.I share my views on Constitutional issues.
I know some of what I say and show them will be cast off as *too extreme* or *too difficult*, but I hope some of what I pass on will stick with them.

I appreciate the videos that Kev (and others) have posted. I frequently direct people to Kev's youtube site or to here or similar sites online.

I have a couple friends that were or are still in real estate and construction related businesses. I'm always amazed to hear these folks that were literally "cleaning up" for about 4-5 years and know have all these horror stories to tell. I've always acted on the idea of "making hay while the sun is shining." I have some family that were involved in these industries. I told them in 2002 that there was only so many idiots out there that were willing to pay $300K for a $50K chipboard McMansion. They laughed at me and said that was the going price now, it would NEVER go down, etc. etc. I was telling them in 05 to get there sorry arses out of debt (any of them could have), things were going to chance, etc. Nope, bought new ATV's for there kids, took on huge home equity loans, bought $30K new trucks.

Helen Keller could have seen the handwriting on the wall in 2006 IMO, yet these folks evidently still didn't. Still spending like there's no tomorrow. Idea was that there home equity would "save" them.

2007 it was visibly starting to slow down for most of them. Still no change of thinking or patterns of behavior.

2008 cry baby time. Boo hoo boo hoo, how could this happen to us?

Put up plenty for the future (money, food, preps) when your making good bucks, to me that's just common sense stuff. Evidently common sense is dead in America.

I don't laugh at these folks, I just wish they would have used there heads a little bit. Now it's all emergency action on there parts, looking for a "quick fix" while not REALLY wanting to change there lifestyle -which is of course the overall PROBLEM.

For the folks like this that either were on the preparedness bandwagon years ago but didn't actually DO anything or the ones like this that just caught the bug, the problem is they are hampered by DEBT and LACK OF INCOME so they feel helpless to get there preps going in earnest. :(

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I have a sister with a McMansion in Northern Virginia.
Tried to talking to her over the years to no avail. Now things are getting sticky for her as she and her hubby are heading for retirement and still have a mortgage payment.:(
They also have credit card debt, 2 new cars and all the *goodies* they think they *deserve*.
Last time I visited, she had a weeks worth of food in her fridge and cupboards. Said she didn't need more than that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I see a lot of people coming into the group over the last several months. sad thing is I see a lot of them dropping away after a week or two. Many become frustrated since they have been raised in a world of 30 minute fixes. SO many of the folks have the idea that all things have to be immediate. the idea of planning a preparing is so foreign to them that it makes them crazy. My youngest child is that way.

When I give my kids a car to drive I put a test in it. I put some items there for emergency use only. That is something to use if it is life or death. I put cash, prepaid credit card ($50), a Phone card, and a small kit. After a month I check the stash and found that only my oldest one still had hers intact. The two younger ones had spent the cash and the credit card was dry. The emergency was a need for soft drinks, burgers, movies and games. At least I know where their heads are.

What I have seen over the last 40 years or so is that there are a lot of people who talk a good game but only a few willing to pay the price and stick it out over the long haul. As you follow this site you can tell the ones that are serious about what we do.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
It is very frustrating trying to help people that don't seem to want to help themselves. I thought it was a waste of time but recently my yuppy son in the big smoke has started ringing me and passing on information that he has heard and talking about things getting tougher,this is from a man that said a couple of years ago if he couldn't have his shiny toys he would rather be dead. He now has decided that living might be a better option.
It gives me the encouragement to keep on trying to help others to help themselves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts