Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
F.O.S. like everyone else
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was in a local discount store, and they had a big display of cast iron. It was Old Mountain Cast Iron. It's made in China, but was really inexpensive for most of the items. I have a good set of Lodge, but I wouldn't mind having some backup stuff. Anyone had any experience with Old Mountain?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, they are good. Not quit as thick as Lodge but they cook well. Friend has a set he has been using at least 10 years. I have used them two years in a row for two outings cooking for 10-60 people.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had good luck finding cast iron cookware at yard sales. Most of it needs re-seasoning, but it is easy to do. I bought a covered dutch oven for $2. I was at the flea market and heard a guy complaining about the prices on cast iron, saying he just wanted something for the deer camp. I still had the $2 dutch oven in the trunk of my car, so sold it to him for $20. I didn't need it....I have so much cast iron, it is amazing that the floors haven't fallen in....and he did. I just bought it because I couldn't pass it up for $2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I was in a local discount store, and they had a big display of cast iron. It was Old Mountain Cast Iron. It's made in China, but was really inexpensive for most of the items. I have a good set of Lodge, but I wouldn't mind having some backup stuff. Anyone had any experience with Old Mountain?
Ive been cooking on Old Mountain for years. For the price, its a good cookware. It does just what I need it to do.... COOK. I'm happy with it. Iv'e heard folks say the lid dont fit tight and the bottom is not exactly flat. I dont have that problem. If they want a perfect fitting lid and flat bottom, go take out a 2nd mortgage on their home and buy a Griswold and sell me your Old Mountain..

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Scrape off some metal filings from the Old Mountain, or just about any other Chinese-made cast iron and send it in for analysis. We're close to the Lodge factory in TN, and were using both some Old Mountain and RedStone. We didn't see a reason to spend more on "Made in the USA" Lodge, until we saw what was found in virtually every cast iron product that comes out of China. Traces of LEAD, chemicals left behind in the forging process, coatings chock-full of carcinogens, you name it.

We immediately TOSSED about $200 in Chinese cast iron (Old Mountain, RedStone, Camp Chef) and bought about a dozen Lodge pieces. We also have some 1800's US made cast iron (forgot the makes).

No thanks. It may cook fine and the food may taste fine, and you may be fine using it, but after seeing that (this testing was not performed or obtained by Lodge) we'll never knowingly cook on ANYTHING made in China again.

We have an outdoor, wood-fired cast iron open flame cooking setup that we use often. Perhaps if we rarely cooked with cast iron using the Chinese stuff would be OK, but since we cook outdoors over open flame about twice per week there was simply no way we were going to keep using that stuff after what we'd learned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very familiar with Old Mountain cast iron cookware. Old Mountain surpasses all FDA and CA Prop 65 requirements for safety. It contains no lead. If these reports claim to show lead or chemicals in Old Mountain I'd like to see them. I'm waiting...

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Just being alive causes cancer. Look at EVERY person that ever had cancer...yep, they were alive at some point in their life.:cool:

I Just laugh at the folks going bat crap crazy over stuff like that. We are ALL going out eventually, you can go nuts about things and fight for every extra week of miserable existence, or you can relax and enjoy whatever time you are going to have before you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Honestly...according to the experts, cooking over a fire causes cancer...so that explains the demise of the cave man, I guess.:rolleyes:

The reality is, even if they WERE full of whatever scary stuff you want to name, unless you cook in those things 4 days a week for the next 20 years, you will NEVER have enough exposure to do anything bad to you.

Not to mention, once the thing is seasoned right, you aren't going to get much of anything bad out of the pan, regardless.;)

And I'm STILL trying to figure out how lead can be in cast iron that has to be heated above the boiling point of lead to even BE cast. Maybe if it's sand cast, there could be lead in the sand, but that would be on the surface only, and the first seasoning would eliminate that. And since the sand is usually reused, after a while you'd assume the lead would all be burned out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cast Iron Crazy

Complacency is Big Business' best friend. If you accept that "something is going to kill you, so you just are not going to worry about unsafe, toxic products", the wealthy industry LOVES you as a consumer. This way they can poison and kill you and that is ok with you, in fact you will pay them to do it. Here's another one; " They HAVE to put that warning label on there, so they won't get sued". DUHHH! They don't go to the expense of warning you that the product may give you cancer, or otherwise kill you, because they are just being sweet. Were you aware that asbestos has been completely banned in Europe since the 1920's? That is 40 years prior to the cancer causing agent being slowly removed from our schools. Mr Kingsbury of London owned asbestos mines. He lobbied to our government for "Safe level limits." There is no such thing, as a little death. He owns Oriental Gasket (asbestos brake linings)and Certain Teed water tight pipe( which holds our tap drinking water) These are companies to use his product, asbestos, in the good ol USA, because he can not sell it in EUROPE. Certain Teed used to be Kingsbury, but name changed to protect the not so innocent. I myself, want a smarter Nation for our kids. Thank YOU everyone who tries to educate yourself, to hopefully protect you Grandkids, so they will have you to help them be smarter and live longer happier,healthier lives. So YES, IT DOES MATTER! People will KILL YOU & your family for MONEY. Some will even sell you a $2 skillet made in China(A Communists country, "which means NOT FREE and no protection for it's population"), for as much as you will give them. Go ahead and smoke those cigarettes, that warning label is "Just so they won't get sued." the Phillip Morris families, thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lead in cast iron????
Really, Lead melts at around 620 deg.
Cast Iron around 1200 deg.
If there were any lead in the ore used or added during smelting it would become separated during the smelting. The lead sinks to the bottom and won't mix with the cast iron again in the smelter. All metals at the smelter are separated and sold for use else where.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
Scrape off some metal filings from the Old Mountain, or just about any other Chinese-made cast iron and send it in for analysis. We're close to the Lodge factory in TN, and were using both some Old Mountain and RedStone. We didn't see a reason to spend more on "Made in the USA" Lodge, until we saw what was found in virtually every cast iron product that comes out of China. Traces of LEAD, chemicals left behind in the forging process, coatings chock-full of carcinogens, you name it.

We immediately TOSSED about $200 in Chinese cast iron (Old Mountain, RedStone, Camp Chef) and bought about a dozen Lodge pieces. We also have some 1800's US made cast iron (forgot the makes).

No thanks. It may cook fine and the food may taste fine, and you may be fine using it, but after seeing that (this testing was not performed or obtained by Lodge) we'll never knowingly cook on ANYTHING made in China again.

We have an outdoor, wood-fired cast iron open flame cooking setup that we use often. Perhaps if we rarely cooked with cast iron using the Chinese stuff would be OK, but since we cook outdoors over open flame about twice per week there was simply no way we were going to keep using that stuff after what we'd learned.
I agree. I've got a ton of the original Griswolds and love them. I pick up a few hear and there, strip and reseason them and they're good to go..

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
My cast iron frying pans seem to have no brand, just the size numbers. They all came from my mom so no Chinese. My dutch oven is packed under some baskets but the lid is in a drawer and says USA so I think I am good to go. I need to get the dutch oven out and start using it.

edit: Just did a check of my pans they are all vintage according to notched heat rings or other marks but no mfgr names.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,352 Posts
The dangerous forms of lead are when the lead is part of an organic molecule like tetraethyl lead. I used to wash parts by hand in leaded gasoline as a kid and later got my blood lead tested when I worked a couple summers in a lead smelter. When I started I had a pretty high lead level. The organic form passes though the skin easily.

Elemental lead, although not recommended as a snack food, is much less dangerous.

All this hunting nonsense about outlawing lead shotgun shells to protect ducks is just more anti-gun legislation.

Agree that chinese metals may not be so pure though and the quality control also not so good as a rule.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This could be a total wives tale, but I've heard that the old 'good' iron pans are more ferrous than some of the cheap imports and therefore more magnetic. There are definitely some iron pans that are more magnetic than others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts