Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a company makes old school wash boards and crank wringers for washing clothes? Saw an episode of life below zero where a guy used one at his camp, so got me thinking if you could still buy this stuff new or resort to antiques

Super Gassy Moderator
Google for old fashioned general stores. There are several of them. Lehmans for sure has it, but they can be pricey. Wash boards are still fairly common. In fact, you might just google for wash boards to see if you can find a cheaper source. While you're at it, take a look at mechanical washers such as the James Washer. They're pricey, but they are more like a mechanical washing machine and can handle large loads a lot more effectively than doing it by hand on a wash board. Also, the little pressure washers work well. I have used one for about 20 years now and I love it for small loads.

reluctant sinner
My home built washing machine should be finished in a day or two. The can is the plastic OdJob cement mixer. 4" DVW plastic pipe for the rollers. 2x4 wood frame. Power to rotate 12 V windshield wiper motor or a AC sewing machine motor. Haven't designed or built the wringers yet. It will be in the DIY soon.

Amazon Sucks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I鈥檓 wanting manual pre-electricity stuff for off grid camping or survival. The cement thing is cool, but I want to be able to do it without any sort of power source.

I did notice Lehman鈥檚 was expensive, but from what I鈥檝e researched there鈥檚 not much available so sort of stuck. Their full system was like $8-900, but we鈥檝e already got tubs, just need the wringer and plunger thing

Registered
Here you go. Use a new plunger, used plungers are so gauche.
We use these at scout camps all the time, they work great.
Pro tip...you REALLY don't need soap to get a basic clean, though it is nice to add some scent.
Just wring out by hand, and hang to dry.

If I'm reduced to muscle powered washing...max cleanliness in my clothes isn't a priority.

******* Washing Machine

Work in progress
Calliger brand wringer can be set up with tubs on either side, so you wring out the wash water before putting items into rinse and wring again before hanging.

reluctant sinner
I remember the power wringer was really hard on big buttons. Seems to me someone at school had a mangled hand from one. Hands and washboard no thanks, even the glass ones.

Amazon Sucks!

Premium Member
Yep, Lehman鈥檚. Cabellas/bass pro also. I鈥檓 in Montana and the feed/farm store I use carries them also

Super Gassy Moderator
Wringers are expensive. Or at least they were when I was shopping for one. I bought a janitorial mop bucket with wringer for a fraction of the price. It probably doesn't wring as well as a specialized unit, but for the price, it works just fine.

Registered
I just lucked into 4 vintage power clothes washers wringers. 3 Maytag and one Zenith ('50's Western Auto). We're refurbishing them and tweaking the old motors and they'll all get a new paint job. I must have been living right that day!

Registered
If I remember rightly the gasoline engine powered washing machines are still made.
But if you're into doing it by hand you might look for an antique 10-gallon butter churn. they spin the barrel end over end.

Registered
If I remember rightly the gasoline engine powered washing machines are still made.
But if you're into doing it by hand you might look for an antique 10-gallon butter churn. they spin the barrel end over end.
Maytag was the first to make a dedicated gas powered washing machine - before that the washing machines were universally belt driven off the farm hit & miss engine - Mom had to fight for laundry time .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts