Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a family get together. I found out that one of my brother inlaws is a serious survivalist. He's stocking up on food, ammo, he's ordering hand tools off ebay like the old crank drills ect. He's looking into smelters and blacksmith equipment. He has several books on wild edible plants. He has 40 acres of land, a huge garden plot, ect ect Bla Bla Bla, and told me that if TSHTF I can bring my preps and are welcome to tough it out with him and his family. When I told him about my own preps, He told me "why dont you use an old dead freezer to store your dried foods in?"..........DING! Well there's a helluvan idea. I was storing rice, beans, and flour in big bulky tupperware containers,and water bottles to keep mice, bugs, and moisture out because I don't trust ziplock bags. So that same day I got myself an old freezer. Cleaned it out. Took everything out of those old klunky containers and put it into ziplock bags. It's amazing how much space I saved. The freezer is sealed so It's dry, and the mice and bugs won't get into it. It should work out ok I hope.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My husband just thought of this last week. He is now looking for old fridges, or freezers to store horse feed, dog feed, and grain etc. Just make sure they seal good.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Great idea! I plan on using an older freezer (not dead though) to bury in the ground soon and use as a, well freezer. I will bury it just a few inches below the top, Vent the heat from the compressor up the side through a vent. Figure it will be a lot more efficient and easier to conceal. It will be located inside an outbuilding.

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
Great idea! I plan on using an older freezer (not dead though) to bury in the ground soon and use as a, well freezer. I will bury it just a few inches below the top, Vent the heat from the compressor up the side through a vent. Figure it will be a lot more efficient and easier to conceal. It will be located inside an outbuilding.

So your planning on burying a 'working' freezer ?
Not dissing the idea - just curious.
Don't they work better when vertical??

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Just got back from a family get together. I found out that one of my brother inlaws is a serious survivalist. He's stocking up on food, ammo, he's ordering hand tools off ebay like the old crank drills ect. He's looking into smelters and blacksmith equipment. He has several books on wild edible plants. He has 40 acres of land, a huge garden plot, ect ect Bla Bla Bla, and told me that if TSHTF I can bring my preps and are welcome to tough it out with him and his family. When I told him about my own preps, He told me "why dont you use an old dead freezer to store your dried foods in?"..........DING! Well there's a helluvan idea. I was storing rice, beans, and flour in big bulky tupperware containers,and water bottles to keep mice, bugs, and moisture out because I don't trust ziplock bags. So that same day I got myself an old freezer. Cleaned it out. Took everything out of those old klunky containers and put it into ziplock bags. It's amazing how much space I saved. The freezer is sealed so It's dry, and the mice and bugs won't get into it. It should work out ok I hope.
Brillian, Gunz, very good advice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know people have used dead freezers for root cellaring. Usually they end up putting in a vent to keep mold from forming inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We keep animal feed in old freezers as it does great to keep the mice/bugs/moisture out.
We also turned a dead freezer into a smokehouse so we can smoke our own home-butchered meats.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
sounds like a good idea.. will you need to make a drain or something for when you go to de-frost it? our freezers have plugs on the bottom.. maybe you could remove some extra dirt on one side and board it over, so that you can easily remove the board and be able to reach the fittings and defrost when neccesary?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good idea. especially if you have a BOL. Might be a little tough bugging out if not. I would do some" bug out drills"to see how long it would take to unload from freezer and into a BOV. If burying it I would put quite a few coats of paint on all the metal surfaces so they don't rust, or even use some spray in bed liner for extra toughness. Wish I had a BOL so I could try this......Stupid apartments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts