Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
regular
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/oklahoma-to-charge-homeowners-who-install-solar-panels/

Disclaimer: This link popped up on Survival Blog.

I read this article, and honestly, it struck me as badly as the western states who claimed that all rainfall was theirs, and anyone gathering rainfall from their roofs or otherwise were law breakers.

Can anyone on the ground from Oklahoma address this?

I don't live in Oklahoma, but recent news events painted the state as pretty progressive regarding gun laws, allowing open carry, etc.

·
regular
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be interesting to here what Oklahoma residents have to say on this one.
I agree. From the state's perspective, it really seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

However, its just one article, and I'm hoping someone on the ground can reply and possibly provide some perspective on this.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I would think a State like Oklahoma would do everything they can to have people move there, and not leave. I wouldn't want to live there, mostly flat and boring, extremely hot in the summer ( been there), tornadoes, dust bowl

·
Indefatigable
20,525 Posts
I'm on the ground and have no new perspective for you. OK is the land of contradictions. People will run their mouths about smaller government while signing off on more regulations.

·
Registered
682 Posts
They keep it up and the grid tie systems will become stand alone systems and then they are back in the same place they were years ago, an aging infrastructure that can barely keep up with demand. How about they just say thank you to the customers who have bailed them out by over producing energy and supplying it to the grid. This is such a sad story but goes to show no good deed goes unpunished. Of course they could pull out the Florida ruling and say no matter what you have to be hooked to the grid and then be supported by the government on giving a bill to someone who doesn't use the service. Oh what a great country this has turned into.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I read this article, and honestly, it struck me as badly as the western states who claimed that all rainfall was theirs, and anyone gathering rainfall from their roofs or otherwise were law breakers.

I would suggest you re-read it. Grid tie systems have taken advantage of special benefits that have increased prices to utilities. The bill in Oklahoma simply addresses the fact that selling power to the grid from small scale generation is a cost. It allows the utilities to charge people for that cost. If you are not connected to the grid you have no charge. If anything it encourages people to go grid free.

Comparing this to who owns the water falling on your property is simply without merit. As is talk of crony capitalism used by the author of the article that you linked to. It hurts the alternative crowds feelings that alternative energy is not free.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well as I understand it through my research in my home state it works this way.

You have to buy a 5 KWH system and have it installed. Then you apply for a lottery, again only the 5 KWH systems can apply. If you are drawn the utility company pays you at the time of my research .11 a KWH for the power you put into the grid. If you are not chosen you get zero. Either way the utility company would still sell the power to another customer at the usual rate which was .15 a KWH. This gives the utility company a .04 a KWH profit on the power sold. Much larger a profit when you add in all the systems that were not lucky enough to be drawn in the lottery.

The utility companies no longer want to pay for the power they get from the systems so they are claiming it is still attached to the system and is causing wear and tear on the infrastructure so they want to charge a base fee while the person is connected to the grid.

Now a person with the system could unplug from the grid and therefore would not be causing the wear and tear on the grid and all would be well and good. The power company would have no one to blame now and would still raise the rates on the customers as they could say it is the alternative crowds fault because someone has to pay for the up keep of the grid so they are passing it on to the remaining customers.

There is also a ruling in Florida that states you have to be connected to the grid or you could be removed from your home. I am not sure the details of this one as I cant see that holding up if you have a system that actually over produces. A system that doesn't produce the basic needs of the people in the home would definitely be an issue but who is to say what that basic need is as it is different for each person. It will be interesting how this plays out.

My opinion is the customers who use the grid should pay for the usual upkeep, which means the fewer people on the grid the more each pays. Those that have a grid tie system should unplug it immediately from the grid.

·
BeerSmurf
15,715 Posts
I'm on the ground and have no new perspective for you. OK is the land of contradictions. People will run their mouths about smaller government while signing off on more regulations.
I've grown tired of your constant bitching. You know nothing of Norman or the State of Oklahoma but yet you whine every chance you get.

Here's an idea...Don't want to be "Blue in a Red state" THEN MOVE!!!!

Oklahoma, like every state has their issues but we do get some **** straight.

And..... I've never seen another state try to do more for people then Oklahoma.

In conclusion....you should probably post less. Because you suck at it.

-dave-

·
Registered
682 Posts
Go easy on JoJo she wasn't bitching here. The Op asked for a OK resident to give some insight and she did. I don't see it as a knock on OK, most states can be described in this way. I disagree with her often but this time she wasn't complaining or at least I didn't take it that way.

·
Yo soy es tu papa!!
2,437 Posts
Unless that person complains and show proof of ownership, including a copyright, you can go pound salt. I found it on the internet the same as they did.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts