Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, what do you think about all these earthquakes that have been happening all over the world? Is it just me or have there been like 4-5 major quakes in the last year?

Could it be normal and the media is just hyping them up because since Haiti ist a hot-button topic? Or have there really been more frequent or higher magnitude earthquakes happening? I just never remember hearing about so many major quakes in such a short time frame.

If so what do you speculate they may be a leading up too? Could a major earthquake set off the Yellowstone Super-volcano? Im not sure but all this news is giving me an ominous feeling!

·
Registered
703 Posts
well, it could be media hype, as earthquakes occur hundreds of times a day, if not thousands. But it is the size of the quakes that worry me, but even that worry is minimal. Look, the earth needs to balance out some things, and earthquakes somehow are helping to balance things back out. Once things are balanced, then they will quiet down.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
It does seem like we have been getting many more major quakes this year.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Of course our detecting and reporting techniques have become much more high-tech as well. We all heard about the quake yesterday within minutes of it happening, whereas a hundred years or fewer ago, it may have taken days or weeks for the info to reach us.

I do agree, however, that the quakes are getting stronger and much more intense, probably a precursor to ... ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, there are a few things that could be happening with the recent quakes:

1. We're just hearing about more of them. In the past, information didn't move as quickly or as broadly as it does now, so it could be that large quakes have been happening at the same regularity for a long time, we just didn't hear about them because they were too far away to be part of our information network.

2. We're having more quakes in the last couple of years because we had one or two large geological events that caused friction to build up on other plate surfaces, resulting in more earthquakes. Imagine the tectonic plates as a big, imperfect sliding puzzle. When you move one, it bumps against all it's neighbors, which bump against all their neighbors, and all the plates are moving slowly all the time, so one event is likely to have at least a small affect on other stressed faults.

3. It's sheer coincidence, the same way if you roll a dice long enough you'll eventually roll 1 ten times in a row.

·
Banned
426 Posts
Hey everyone, what do you think about all these earthquakes that have been happening all over the world? Is it just me or have there been like 4-5 major quakes in the last year?

Could it be normal and the media is just hyping them up because since Haiti ist a hot-button topic? Or have there really been more frequent or higher magnitude earthquakes happening? I just never remember hearing about so many major quakes in such a short time frame.

If so what do you speculate they may be a leading up too? Could a major earthquake set off the Yellowstone Super-volcano? Im not sure but all this news is giving me an ominous feeling!

I read somewhere that earthquakes happen in swarms, and that every so often, there is a whole bunch of them around the same period of time. Earthquakes happen all the time, but they also swarm. Seems like we are in the midst of a swarm. Just something natural.
It amazes me how man hasn't changed very much in many ways from our primitive ancestors. Whole religions were created due to the weirdness of the weather. The sun, the night, the heat, the cold, the snow, the lightning, the rain, the wind..... all must have been either created by a god, or were harbingers of things to come. The earth shaking underneath? Must mean the world is falling apart. Hey, where did the water go? Must be the water god being angry. Oh wait, no, here it is coming back.
Millions of years later, and here we are, still talking about how the earth's pulse and rhythm are going to spell certain doom.
LOL. We are a strange creature.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Well, there are a few things that could be happening with the recent quakes:

1. We're just hearing about more of them. In the past, information didn't move as quickly or as broadly as it does now, so it could be that large quakes have been happening at the same regularity for a long time, we just didn't hear about them because they were too far away to be part of our information network.

2. We're having more quakes in the last couple of years because we had one or two large geological events that caused friction to build up on other plate surfaces, resulting in more earthquakes. Imagine the tectonic plates as a big, imperfect sliding puzzle. When you move one, it bumps against all it's neighbors, which bump against all their neighbors, and all the plates are moving slowly all the time, so one event is likely to have at least a small affect on other stressed faults.

3. It's sheer coincidence, the same way if you roll a dice long enough you'll eventually roll 1 ten times in a row.
Chart and record Keeping Takes out the guessing equation, there are more destructive earthquakes and Killer storms than ever on record.
http://www.thehorizonproject.com/earthquakes.cfm

Of Course the non-faith people want it to be otherwise as they don't want to believe the bible is true.
I got news for non-believers, I know where I'm going if I die, Do you ?

There has being 3 small quakes 2.8 to 3.0 ITRS iN Yellowstone park Today.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.