1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
182 Posts
Feeding your kid too much is seriously harming their health. If I had a baby and gave it cigarettes or crack cocaine, or if I had a baby and beat it up, or stabbed it with a knife, would you not suggest the child be removed from me? WHAT difference is that to giving the baby far too much fatty foods and little exercise, which will GUARANTEE it huge health problems throughout its entire life?

A parent who lets their baby/young child get hugely fat is DELIBERATELY HARMING their baby, just as if they punched it in the face or starved it. There is NO difference.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I'm NOT condoning it, I don't see it as the same as the physical abuse you mentioned sigd. Punching a kid in the face is life threatening IMMEDIATELY. Obesity takes time to be a problem. Some people are genetically predisposed to problems with Obesity. For them it is a life long problem, from the cradle to the grave. It NEVER goes away.

While it is a problem that need to be addressed, I don't see removal as the necessary step either. Likely the parents ALSO have a problem as well. The WHOLE family needs help, and taking a child from a loving home is NOT IMO a good thing. No matter what the Government thinks.

·
Indefatigable
21,058 Posts
Ok so a parent that deliberatly lets a child get fat, has their children taken away. What about a child who is exposed to second hand smoke? A smokers children as just as likely to tax the health care system as a fat child. What about children of supposedly "functioning" alcoholics? I know more people who's lives were screwed up by the adults around them abusuing alcohol than from being overweight. IMO Until overeating is seen an eating disorder and treated like an addiction (especially from an early age) and until parents take the responsibilty for doing this, the problem is not going to get any better.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I have one kid that is 38 and an attorney. The other kid is 23 years old and is a security guard. Tell you what... We can make a deal here if you make the pot sweet enough....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I... uhh... I just... I don't really know what to say about this.

It just seems so wrong, but it's rooted in something that is valid to these times. I work as a server/bartender at an English pub, I see a lot of families. And damn if it isn't true that a huge number of these kids are overweight.

Parenting is part of it. Our culture is too. Things like soda and fast food are a huge part in our lives, and the marketing towards kids is unreal...

Taking kids away from parents is extreme... But at what point is too far in endangering one's kids. I was at the hospital getting a checkup about 2 weeks ago. Before my Doctor came into my room I overheard her talking to a nurse saying she was appalled that it was 2 in the afternoon and she had already diagnosed 16 new cases of diabetes that day... My jaw damn near hit the ground. I made mention of it and she said that it was something they did daily.

Ugh... Definitely one of "those" topics... And that said... No, our gov't doesn't trust us to do anything...

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now in the cases they cited, the kids were Grossly overweight. Still if this is the ONLY problem, I just think there are other viable options available that could benefit the whole family. I DON'T think removal of the children is the right thing to do if this is the sole reason. Reasons for removal usually have some negative connotations, like Neglect, Abuse, Starvation, Maltreatment, etc. Overfeeding just doesn't sound negative. I know, I know, there ARE Health concerns involved, But is it so drastic that removal is the only option?

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Near future Amerika

we are taking your children because they are 1.7 micrograms over the legal limit. we are also taking you to retraining camp where you will be givin a 700 calorie a day diet.

upon 2nd offense your children will be enrolled in Obama youth and forbiden to speak your name.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Ok so a parent that deliberatly lets a child get fat, has their children taken away. What about a child who is exposed to second hand smoke? A smokers children as just as likely to tax the health care system as a fat child. What about children of supposedly "functioning" alcoholics? I know more people who's lives were screwed up by the adults around them abusuing alcohol than from being overweight. IMO Until overeating is seen an eating disorder and treated like an addiction (especially from an early age) and until parents take the responsibilty for doing this, the problem is not going to get any better.
I don't smoke or advocate it but I think the second hand smoke stats are primarily politically driven.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I wonder if a child who eats himself to Obesity has other health or medical issues. Most children will not continue to eat once they feel full. I cant blame the parent, are they forcing the kid to stuff their face? I have 4 kids and none of them are overweight. They eat a wide variety of foods including snacks and dessert, I dont play "food police" with my kids. I dont agree with taking the child out of the home, that could only cause more problems for the child.

·
Banned
182 Posts
I wonder if a child who eats himself to Obesity has other health or medical issues. Most children will not continue to eat once they feel full. I cant blame the parent, are they forcing the kid to stuff their face? I have 4 kids and none of them are overweight. They eat a wide variety of foods including snacks and dessert, I dont play "food police" with my kids. I dont agree with taking the child out of the home, that could only cause more problems for the child.
This mentality is just absolutely ridiculous. The diet of the child is 100% the responsibility of the parents, end of story. A baby/young child does not know the difference between healthy/unhealthy food, and nor would it care. If a child is hugely overweight by the time it is, say, 10 years old or anything younger than that, it is COMPLETELY the fault of the parent, and is just simply child abuse.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Feeding your kid too much is seriously harming their health. If I had a baby and gave it cigarettes or crack cocaine, or if I had a baby and beat it up, or stabbed it with a knife, would you not suggest the child be removed from me? WHAT difference is that to giving the baby far too much fatty foods and little exercise, which will GUARANTEE it huge health problems throughout its entire life?

A parent who lets their baby/young child get hugely fat is DELIBERATELY HARMING their baby, just as if they punched it in the face or starved it. There is NO difference.
Well all the things you mention a human being can survive without. Crack = Not needed. Tobacco = Not needed. Stab = Not needed. Beating = Not needed. Starving = Not needed. Feeding = Definitely needed. They are NOT "Deliberately Harming" their kids. They are feeding them....too much, but still they are JUST feeding them.

What's next on the reasons list of grounds for removal? Pampering? Helping with Homework? Why not? Pampering if taken to extremes can lead to severely unbalanced kids emotionally, which could lead to serious problems later. Helping with Homework to an extreme would be doing it for them, resulting in low education/illiteracy. The way I see it is these parents are literally "Loving their kids to death". The kids don't need to be removed, the family needs to learn balance and moderation.

I guess the thing that is really bothering me is that the government is making more and more illegal, and more and more reasons to take what is yours/ours. Before you know it we'll all be criminals for breathing Gov't. air without paying taxes or some such nonsense. Laugh if you want, but just a few decades ago there were less laws, and anyone trying to take your kids would have been shot dead by you. The kids that were taken, were taken for VERY good reasons. Not some BS like this. Next thing you'll know you won't have the right to your own kids period, the Gov't. will take them and raise them for you.

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
I dont think they should be taken away, if they are put in foster care then it can cause depresion, and that can cuase more wieght gain

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
When I was younger I had a friend who had an issue with how his body retained water. This made him gain a lot of weight and he ended up dying because of it. I understand there are issues with weight. What I dont understand is the fat **** who is munching down a whole bag of chips, burgers and a large diet coke telling me he is just big boned and its genitic.

I dont think the government should take a child away but I damn well know there is a serious issue in this country with obesity. And because everyone seems to have there feeling hurt when the truth is dropped on their lap, nothing gets done to counter it.

As a poster mentioned above, the childs welfare is 100% the responsiblity of the parents. And we are not short of ****ty parents in this country.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
These kids are going to be so limited in their life due to social and physical limitations that are automatic when they carry that much extra weight. All of the excuses aside, the parenting here is an issue, but it doesn't make any sense to remove a child from their parent. If it is that big a deal, have the family go to classes and monitor them or cut off their welfare.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts