Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any had a problem with leaving their HTs in the car during winter (not talking about theft, more life of the device)? I guess it's a silly question since there are so many electronics in the car by default, but for some reason I'm nervous the cold will mess with the LCD screen somewhat.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,197 Posts
I've had LCD displays pop in the summer heat. I've not had one freeze and break. Newer displays are even less prone to damage.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,262 Posts
Mine have done fine in the winter and I haven't had any problems with cold.
But did leave one on the dash back in the summer and the screen would not work till the unit cooled down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My mobile has an LCD and it lives in the vehicles sun or snow... The display is slow to change when its cold and power is off but quickly warms up when power is applied. The big thing is keep it out of direct sunlight.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
The only real problem I can think of would be condensation; taking it from a warm area to a cold area. But that would not be all that much of a problem or very likely. If you were worried about that, then putting it in a container with a desiccant would help.

Most HTs today will have Lion batteries and they won't be harmed by cold, they just won't do as well as in warmer temps.

My car has LED displays and some of them (like the radio) won't display correctly when cold until they warm up. But it causes no harm. For LCD I have seen the same thing for some displays, but usually not.

In short, I don't think you will have any problems.

Personally, my HT is in my work bag and goes into my office with me.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I don't keep radios in my vehicles due to the risk of theft, but this has been a pretty mild winter lately here in Minnesota. I've not heard of any scientific studies about the effects of cold, but in addition to battery and LCD, there's the lifespan of capacitors. Your rig may work fine once it thaws up, but you may be aging it prematurely. I didn't catch where you're from, but my idea of cold is -10 to -50(+), before windchill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your battery amp hour output (battery life) may drop during the time it is cold and the radio might be off freq a little until it warms up.

You should never charge a cold battery also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you

Great replies all. Thank you very much. I'm in the U.S. northeast, so the worst it gets here is zero. I feel much better.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If your worried about any cold sensitive item kept in your car during the day while you are out and about or at work they can be kept in a standard "ice cooler".

A small Play Mate type one doesn't have insulation on the lid so things should be wrapped or have a towel just under the lid.

If you park in a garage overnight you can likely just leave it in you car otherwise a small cooler is easy to carry into the house overnight where it will warm back up and be ready to go again when you are.

SD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts