Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a firearm, haven't really had a need. I don't hunt- no objections to hunting, just never been- and haven't felt threatened enough to carry, even when working in the crack hood.

I'm open to the idea, not looking for 2nd amendment speeches, just good, solid, logical argument for owning a firearm.

Recommendations for a first firearm are welcome, along with a reason why.

Thank you in advance for any help :thumb:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I will use an old saw.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A gun is a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

I won't make a specific recommendation for a firearm, other than go to your local shooting range and rent a couple of different guns. See what you like, what fits you the best.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Great challenge to make for this forum!

I never owned a firearm, and I'm in my 40s, until about 18 months ago. the fact is that rifles, revolvers and pistols are loads of fun to shoot! It's a whole new skill set, in addition to potentially being important if TSHTF, or for personal/family self defence, can be a wonderful hobby in and of itself.

If you were to compare shooting with golf, I would say that shooting is actually cheaper, more relevent to modern life and modern history, and definitely more relevant surviving potentially tough times, than is golf.

When my friends ask things like "OMG, you have guns?" I'm like "Yeah, I mostly shoot at targets, and it's a great sport to be involved with." Other people immediately "get it" that being able to shoot well and havibg firearms might be an important advantage to have, such as in supplementing your food a little bit in a normal situation, or relying on your hunting skills in a SHTF situation.

Most of my friends are NOT gun owners, and yet ALL of them have been more than willing to go to the range with me, and every one has has a blast (pardon the pun...) once they get there.

Tom.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will use an old saw.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A gun is a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

I won't make a specific recommendation for a firearm, other than go to your local shooting range and rent a couple of different guns. See what you like, what fits you the best.
Hmmm... wasn't aware you could 'rent' a gun.... that would be a logical start.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the endorsement by 'hippie' is probably better than ten by life long owners. you can see why.

but from the other end, i can say that owning/shooting a gun is just plain fun. I'd recommend a ruger mark 2 .22, or perhaps a .357 mag revolver (double action with a 6" under lug barrel) and what 'budget' said.

on a more rude note, i was going to say, if you need us to sell you on reasons to get a gun you may as well just stick your head in the sand. thats as rude as i am tonight.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the endorsement by 'hippie' is probably better than ten by life long owners. you can see why.

but from the other end, i can say that owning/shooting a gun is just plain fun. I'd recommend a ruger mark 2 .22, or perhaps a .357 mag revolver (double action with a 6" under lug barrel) and what 'budget' said.

on a more rude note, i was going to say, if you need us to sell you on reasons to get a gun you may as well just stick your head in the sand. thats as rude as i am tonight.
Well, I want good reasons from intelligent people for owning a gun. I wouldn't go to a pottery website for such info. I suppose you could say that I'm pulling my head out of the sand.
Don't worry about offending me. That really isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I don't own a firearm, haven't really had a need. I don't hunt- no objections to hunting, just never been- and haven't felt threatened enough to carry, even when working in the crack hood.
owning a firearm is a right it has nothing really to do with need but it is there if you choose to use it or not....looks like you have chosin not too so i wont try to persuade you one way or the other.....

since you asked......
my standered recommendation for a first and possibly only firearm is a .38spl revolver they are cheap to shoot and carry enough punch to make it fun and the .38spl has a great track recored for saving lives.........

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

I'm open to the idea, not looking for 2nd amendment speeches, just good, solid, logical argument for owning a firearm.

Recommendations for a first firearm are welcome, along with a reason why.

Thank you in advance for any help :thumb:
It's 3am two large men are are breaking into your house, they have cut the phone line (common w/ home invasions) they're armed with a handgun and a knife. They're intent of stealing anything you have raping your wife ans kicking the ever loving crap out of you. How do you respond.

a. "Mr home invader, please don't hurt me"

b. "BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BMAL BLAM, honey call the coroner and be sure to get some wall patch tomorrow.."

I'll take option B.

As the economy sours, home invasions will rise dramatically.

First gun?

Cheap, reliable, accurate, and concealable.

Go hammerless, if you have to draw it from a concealed location, there isn't a hammer to get caught on your clothes. If you carry a revolver concealed, hammerless is the only way to go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well I'll have to pass on the 'good reasons from intelligent people' and stick with what i said. fun. also it satisfies that need for doing something different or a little dangerous. nothing like the feeling of magnum recoil.

really, there aren't any "good, solid, logical reasons" the reasons are more primal, visceral and related to testosterone levels.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
My guess is, pretty soon you will be WISHING you had one...several in fact, and the ammo to feed them.

Here's hoping you do not wait too long to extract head from sand...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I own one for home protection and recently bought another. I never thought of owning a firearm but went to the range with a friend and got hooked. It's fun and you can use the self defense aspect as well. I recommend a remington 870 or mossberg 500. It can be used for defense and for all kinds of sporting.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Why Am I Armed?

My old grandpa said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'."

I don't carry a gun to kill I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First gun?

Cheap, reliable, accurate, and concealable.

Go hammerless, if you have to draw it from a concealed location, there isn't a hammer to get caught on your clothes. If you carry a revolver concealed, hammerless is the only way to go.
Cooooollll...........

Sure would be easier to use than my great-grandfather's Custer-era double barrel shotgun.
(found it in the attic of my grandfather's garage, in a barrel of baseball bats. As far as I know, it hasn't been fired since the 1890's)

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Cooooollll...........

Sure would be easier to use than my great-grandfather's Custer-era double barrel shotgun.
(found it in the attic of my grandfather's garage, in a barrel of baseball bats. As far as I know, it hasn't been fired since the 1890's)
Don't trust the shotgun until a gunsmith looks at it, modern loads are much more powerful than the old ones from that era. Kaboom ! Face full of shrapnel sucks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are on a survival forum then you probably think that one day things could get to the state where you will have to rely on yourself for some of the basics of survival, like food and protection. In that case a relaible gun that you know how to use could mean the difference between life and death. Guns look like really simple tools that are easy to use and maintain. But that's deceptive. There is an enormous amount to learn that you can only learn by owning and using the gun regulalry. But it's not the sort of thing you should just have laying around as something that might come in handy one day. If you adopt the latter attitude it would probably be more of a liability.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts