Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres the story. My daughter and I went to our local china-mart for a couple of things. First and foremost, one of those camp-toast-things that hold the bread over a propane camp grill. Made by coleman. Holds 4 slices and you just rotate the bread as needed. Were leaving to go camping Thursday, and for less then 3 bucks, my kid can have all the toast she wants:D:

After that, we hiked back over to the other side to price beans and rice. I have been buying mine from the Dollar Tree. Based on prices, it evens out. I did buy some "Powered Buttermilk", just like powered milk, to make pancake mix while were roughing it.

Then I spotted it. The SPAM section. I decided on a pack of the single serving. My daughter asked what it was. I tried in the nicest way to kindly describe it. She wanted to try it as well:eek: She is as picky as the typical 9 year old girl can be. But we always encourage new things. We headed home.

She ate her spam, cold, on plain bread. She said she like it:eek: I decided to pan fry mine, topped with a slice of American cheese, and mayo.

I can honestly say.. its "ok". I have definitely ate worse things. I then decided to add some horseradish! Now were talking!:thumb:

I can see putting a couple cans in the food stocks. Nothing wrong with that. If it came down to having nothing to eat, that SPAM would be gladly accepted.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
LOL I always liked Spam. I like it on plain bread with mustard. Or just about any other way. People either love it or hate it. But the stuff is supposed to last forever and we stock it. Have you ever seen tv shows on the Spam festivals people have and contests for different recipes? Pretty wild. I can eat it cold out of the can.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Now that you have embarked on the journey to a larger spam filled world here are some recipes you can try.

http://www.spam.com/recipes/default.aspx

My mom used to make spam enchiladas. They were great. Wish I had the recipe.

She also used to make a quick dish.

Chopped up spam.
fried potatoes, sort of like hash browns
whatever left over vegies she had in the fridge (drain before adding)
Warm it all up in a skillet and when it is good and hot scramble a few eggs over it.

Delicious. Dad like his with A1 sauce.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I've noticed that the Spam up here in Wally World has those pop-tops. I bought one, and didn't notice the top must have come away from the sides of the can a bit (couldn't SEE anything amiss when I put it in the cupboard); when I opened it, the whole top was moldy and black...disgusting! I can buy tuna, canned ham, canned salmon,turkey and chicken for less than the Spam, so I think Spam may not be one of MY preps.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
I can honestly say.. its "ok". I have definitely ate worse things. I then decided to add some horseradish! Now were talking!:thumb:

I can see putting a couple cans in the food stocks. Nothing wrong with that. If it came down to having nothing to eat, that SPAM would be gladly accepted.
All things are improved with horseradish...well, almost.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I've noticed that the Spam up here in Wally World has those pop-tops. I bought one, and didn't notice the top must have come away from the sides of the can a bit (couldn't SEE anything amiss when I put it in the cupboard); when I opened it, the whole top was moldy and black...disgusting! I can buy tuna, canned ham, canned salmon,turkey and chicken for less than the Spam, so I think Spam may not be one of MY preps.
That is strange. Usually SPAM has the life expectancy of somewhere between irradiated Twinkies and the Egyptian pyramids

I'd try another can and see how you like it. Just remember even if your not a fan of SPAM there are plenty out there who love it, and if a survival situation occurs it'll be worth its weight in gold. Stock it for trade.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts