Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE been watching the weather channel and you folks are dealing with 100+ every freek'n day this week it seems.

I have been visiting friends out there when it was mid 90s and kept hearing "But it is a dry heat."
I was withering and dying just walking to my motorcycle.
It was like riding in a blast furnace.

It is now much hotter than I experienced. Whenever I hear the line "But it is a dry heat." I reply "Tell that to the turkey in the oven...it is a dry heat."
I mean really...

Do you ever even go outside at all?

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,772 Posts
W/O AC life slows down about 10 and picks back up around 4…I hang on my porch on my off days…above 95 and I may as well put a fan in front of my oven and bake…Its a time thing…minute at a time til it cools down…only hit 98 here today but Ive been flat on my back all day w a crud so I just thanked everything and everybody the AC was on the ball

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I HAVE been watching the weather channel and you folks are dealing with 100+ every freek'n day this week it seems.

I have been visiting friends out there when it was mid 90s and kept hearing "But it is a dry heat."
I was withering and dying just walking to my motorcycle.
It was like riding in a blast furnace.

It is now much hotter than I experienced. Whenever I hear the line "But it is a dry heat." I reply "Tell that to the turkey in the oven...it is a dry heat."
I mean really...

Do you ever even go outside at all?
No kidding. I start swearing and suffering when it gets to 80. I’ll take hard winters if it means I don’t have to endure slow motion mummification 9 months a year. I couldn’t hack it.

·
4,789 Posts
Here in E TX we bump 100* temps from sometime in June (99* here today), maybe as early as late May till sometime in Sept. If we have a mild summer we may not go over 100* but a hand full of times or we may spend three months over 100 with some days hitting as high as 110 to 115*. But one thing we can count on, it WON'T be a dry heat, we will run as much as 100% humidity without a cloud in the sky from moisture drawn up from the Golf Of Mexico by our prevailing winds. LOL Then you can have something to bitch about!

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Here in E TX we bump 100* temps from sometime in June (99* here today), maybe as early as late May till sometime in Sept. If we have a mild summer we may not go over 100* but a hand full of times or we may spend three months over 100 with some days hitting as high as 110 to 115*. But one thing we can count on, it WON'T be a dry heat, we will run as much as 100% humidity without a cloud in the sky from moisture drawn up from the Golf Of Mexico by our prevailing winds. LOL Then you can have something to bitch about!
Gawd. I'd be curled up on the concrete floor in the basement covered with wet towels and a fan blowing on me. Doesn't heat like that kill people now and then around there? My sister in law lives in East Texas, wants us to come visit. OK, I told her, but it's going to be in January.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,803 Posts
I worked at NWC China Lake for 30 yrs, which meant that I lived in the northern edge of the Mohave Desert. Summer temps reached 117F one day, while I was working under my Classic Mustang. It was the best engineering job I ever heard of or I would not have stayed there.

Life in the summer was based on swamp coolers and shade, and any excuse to retreat to higher elevations. Before electric power, no one lived in the valley floor, during the summer. Not even to work the gold and silver mines.

Which also tells you what life would be like if the power grid failed for about a week in mid summer. I used to tell folks not to waste their fuel stores running a generator if the power failed. Put that fuel in their best truck and drive the **** away from there.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The key is to allow your body to acclimate. Which means if you must use ac don't crank it way down.

Keep your clothes on! Two reasons for long sleeves in hot weather. First, keeps the sun off your skin. Second once you bust a sweat and get that shirt damp this will cool you down some.

Drink plenty of water, even if you don't want it. Just don't forget the salt.

Cowboy up.

I grew up in the far north but have spent most of my adult life in hot weather climates. Dry heat DOES make a difference. For example I suffered much more when I was stationed in the tropics with 85 degree 110% humidity than I did in Saudi which regularly broke 110.

Could actually be because I had AC in the tropical environment and took full advantage which kept my body from proper acclimation. In the desert AC was a rare luxury so I acclimated and just got used to it.

Which isn't to say I liked it but you can learn to live with it.

·
Over and Out
5,507 Posts
One of the Best 'DIY tricks', for when yer Outside in this kind of Heat, is make a 'soft collar' out of a towel / t-shirt - Roll it up like a burrito, and get it Near sopping-wet (but Not 'dripping').. It, wrapped around yer Arteries going up / down the neck, has a Huge affect on yer 'perception' of heat (and obviously cools the Head / neck, etc) and works wonders, I have found..

jd

·
Purposeful Prepper
2,036 Posts
It's not just the heat, Dallas also has humidity. Mowing starts at sunup which in June might be 6:30 or so. Most outdoor work is shut down by 10:00 or 11:00. Things slow down at that point.

This year looks like it could be a long summer, hot until October. Younger people have less trouble with it. Growing up we didn't have air conditioning.

·
4,789 Posts
Gawd. I'd be curled up on the concrete floor in the basement covered with wet towels and a fan blowing on me. Doesn't heat like that kill people now and then around there? My sister in law lives in East Texas, wants us to come visit. OK, I told her, but it's going to be in January.
LOL You won't get away from the humidity even in January, it's just a bone chilling cold that soaks into you, even at 30*. We learn to live with it and how to watch out for it but still each summer when the kids are out in sports there's going to be some with heat exhaustion, gateraid and things like it are big sellers this time of year, I keep Medi-lite Electrolyte tablets both at home and in my truck, LOL I've seen families from up north move down here with cars w/o AC, they can't get rid of them. Families with kids where the kids accuse the parents of trying to kill them with the heat. People that work outside tend to start work as soon as it's light enough to see good and about 2 in the afternoon shut down work till about 5 and work till 8 or so...We're a firm believer in seista here and it isn't just the Mexicans! LOL

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,876 Posts
I LOVE it when it's like this. I get up at dawn, work the kinks out and then get all my outside chores done before 11. Then the dogs and I have a beer and sit on the patio for a bit before we check everyone's waterers and then go inside to do inside stuff until about 6:30 or so ... Then back outside to check on everyone again ... Piddle in the garden until dark. Then go in, sew ... Or make stuff -- right now I'm trying to teach myself woodworking.

It's not nearly as bad as the cold weather **** ... Bleh ... Lol

·
Registered
922 Posts
One of the Best 'tricks', for when yer Outside in this kind of Heat, is make a 'soft collar' out of a towel / t-shirt, and have it Near sopping-wet (but Not 'dripping').. It, wrapped around yer Arteries going up / down the neck, has a Huge affect on yer 'perception' of heat (and obviously cools the Head / neck, etc) and works wonders, I have found..

jd
Learned that from the Nam vets when I went to Paris Island back in the summer of 1986... talk about your black flag days lol
I dropped 50 pounds just from marching all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 260 Posts