Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't feel dumb. I wasn't aware of that. I knew both will work. GO and by some extra wicks and a mantles as they are cheap. Lamp oil can be bought at places like Walmart in clear containers. I keep at least 4 gallons on hand at the house.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
We keep kerosene on hand in 5 gallon jugs for the kerosene heater, just in case everything else fails us. We have kerosone lanterns, coleman fuel lanterns, combo lanterns (gasoline and coleman fuel), a wood stove to cook on or to heat with, candles, a generator (gasoline) and a 5000 watt inverter (under the hood of my F350). And we can be self-contained in our horse living quarters trailer in about half an hour...and stay for several weeks remotely, without external power.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What if you put a metal container full of wood chips above you kerosene heater. then ran a line off it, you would have a wood gas generator!!! You could heat and cook with it.:thumb: You could even make small ones out of cans that could go above lamps and you could turn that wasted heat into light!!!

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
lamp oil might be a little more refined to burn a little cleaner. But from what I understand, there is no real difference.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
Kerosene does have a bit of an odor to it...we use the kerosene mixed with pine shavings in an old laundry soap bottle...as a good fire starter. Pine shavings are our horse stall absorbent...mixed with kerosene, will get just about anything lit, even wet quartered logs.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
I have a good supply of kero, but also tried diesel in my oil lamps.
It is a better price here in Aus. than kero and, there is virtually no smell with it, burns just as brightly.
The wick tends to carbon up a bit more, but not a major issue.
At least i know, for my own purposes and requirements, they have a dual fuel function.
It might be worth a try for yourself, don't know what your diesel is like, so safety is the most important factor.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I dont think lamp oil and kerosene(sp) are the same thing. They work the same, but I dont think they are the same. I want to say that lamp oil is a parrifin wax based oil. I have heard kerosene will create an oily residue in your house if you burn it alot, and lamp oil does not. I burn lamp oil all the time and it does not smell, or smoke. I think it would be best to have both on hand, but keep the kerosene for your backup because its cheaper. Just a heads up, Walmart is the best place(cheapest) to buy lamp oil. You can get a gallon for what it costs to get 1/2 gallon everywhere else. So I stocked up when I saw that. I also have bought 4-5 different oil lamps over the ages. Oh, dont forget to get wicks. Somewhere online I saw where you could buy a spool of wick, like 25-50' for really cheap. Way better than paying 3-4 bucks for 2 wicks in a pack. If I am wrong about the differences please let me know and provide some links. Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I did some reading and I could be talking about something different that I use in my lamps. I use 99% parrifin. But after some research some places dont recommend that in oil lamps because they say because of the type of wick they dont burn well. I have used them for a long time, but maybe they arent as bright as they are suppose to be... I dont know, I will do some more looking.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Only use No1 kero in lamps. Other grades have bad fumes you don't want to breathe. Never run a lamp so it smokes. No smoke ever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
lamp oil

The time of the year is at hand to start to stock up on oil etc as the stores are getting rid of the oil etc as it is seasonal and can be picked up cheap.

I just picked up 10 1 gal jugs of lamp oil from target for $1.20 a jug. Clearance section.

Ozziepom.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts