Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
We've used lamps extensively over the past decade or so. This rural area has power outages on a regular basis. If a dog pees on a light pole, we get a power outage. If a storm comes through and the power goes out, we will be without for a week or more.

My wife and I have gotten to the point to where we don't use the Kerosene lamps in the house. The smell. the added danger of having one fall off of a table or shelf, just adds to the inconvenience. We have pretty well gone to oil lamps with regular lamp oil and lately we've added have several homemade olive oil lamps. Even if you knock them over, they go out. Very low smell or smoke factor and they put out just as much light as any kerosene lamp. It also pretty easy because you store only olive oil for cooking and fuel. If it ever becomes too rancid for food, it will always be fuel.

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
I've had several of you send me a PM asking about the olive oil lamps. I grabbed a small one out of my prep room and snapped a few photos. Hope this works, as I am not the photographer type. This little lamp is a small one made out of those mason type jars with the handle for use as a drinking mug. It uses a small wick. I ordered it from Lehman's Catalog about 10 years ago. However, when I saw how easy they were to make, I got some stiff wire at the hardware store, some wider oil lamp wicks at Hobby Lobby and used mayonaise jars and even a large pickle jar to make my own. The only objective is to keep the flame well above the oil, the wick under the oil and the wick adjusted so as to not over burn and give off smoke. If that happens, pull the wick down a little more to make the flame smaller. No bad smells, smoke or highly flammable liquids. I experimented by knocking over the lamp to see if it would flame up. The lamp goes out if more oil pours over the flame or is knocked over. Pour in a little EVOO and fire that mutha up. Here are some photos.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.