Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read a little about them and decided that I might as well add it to the preps. Can be useful plus they make good decorations sitting around the house. So which brands would you suggest and what type of oil will they run on? If SHTF and you run out what can you use as a substitute? Is V&O or lamplight any good? That's what I have found locally

·
A Round American Woman
539 Posts
Basic oil lamps, the kind that use a clear oil liquid and have the glass hurricane top are pretty basic. I haven't bought one for myself, all of mine have been handed down.

Have extra wicks on hand, and the fuel is called "lamp oil" or "liquid paraffin". We used to have a store that carried these, but I am having trouble finding the gallons of oil locally.

I would not keep them all full, I have seen my little one (kept in a windowless bathroom for emergencies) lose fuel over time, so I keep one with oil and the others in storage, empty just in case.

Brands? I can't help there, mine are old. I do know that you can even buy a kit to turn a canning, mason jar into a oil lamp. I also am learning candle making and my stocks include paraffin and wicks.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,887 Posts
The basic simple ones work fine. They burn lamp oil, olive oil or kerosene. They are fine for general use, though few put off enough light to read by.

The brightest lamp is the Petromax BriteLyt. They burn any flammable liquid: lamp oil, olive oil, kerosene, gasoline, lard, ... These guys put off enough light that one lamp in a room can allow a dozen people to all read books.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have several, some passed down from family, some from ebay, bought a few from a local antique mall, a few are new. I used to Civil War reenact, and found them to be very handy when the power failed (especially when the grid went down back in 03) You can buy oil in gallon containers from a variety of stores.

I suggest getting antique lamps and replace the wicks. They are better made for heavy usage then the decorative new ones. They are not expensive either.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Somebody will probably come in here and suggest Dietz lanters. I bought a few. They came with "made in China" stickers on the bottom but they seem to work fine.

YMMV

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
I am a cheap skate.
I went to the Amish general store near Marion, KY and picked up several oil lamp burners (with wicks) for $1.50 each. These are the kind that attach to mason jars.
I also got the chimneys for $4.00 each.
So, for a total of $5.50 each and a few mason jars that I already had, I got a half dozen servicable lamps.
Fill them about half full with pretty rocks, marbles etc before adding fuel and you don't have to worry about them tipping over like some lamps do.
They work great and I didn't have to break the bank get what I needed.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. There's really no place around here ik of that sell those kind of antiques. Most are usually furniture and such. Hopefully I can find something good soon

·
Registered
353 Posts
Walmart currently has cheap yet well made lamps for ~$7.00, 32oz Clear Lamp Fuel for ~$6.00, and flat style wicks for $.99 each. The decorative style lamps seem to burn hotter than the style that can be carried around and are usually hold a lot more fuel. Keeping them full will have them ready for an instant light but you will lose fuel to evaporation over time. I have 2 decorative lamps from my grandmother I keep roughly half full and probably lose half of that fuel to evaporation each year.

·
Registered
498 Posts
A few years ago when I was still smoking I used to go into this little cigarette store and over in the corner was the owners (someones) cheap junk display, knick knacks and dishes mostly. I picked up 6 old oil lamps...some with globes, some without...for $5.00 each. They all needed cleaning up and new wicks but they work as well or better than anything new I've bought.

Likewise I've picked up a couple at a place called "Papaws" that is someones converted garage turned junk store.

Try yard sales and flea markets.

Any place with the word "antique" on the door is going to over charge you for every thing.

·
Banned
473 Posts
"lamp oil" or "liquid paraffin". We used to have a store that carried these, but I am having trouble finding the gallons of oil locally.

Checkout Westmarine.com they are a large marine supply distributor and they carry it by the 5 gallon jug or smaller. The liqid parrafin is popular amongst the boating community because it has a very low flashpoint and is very stable. Might be able to find a distributor that is a little cheaper but they are very reliable and good company.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lots of choices

WalMart seems to be the best place for fuel though I would probably keep an eye out and get some when you can. I noticed it is often out of stock and toward December the problem will be worse. Their oil burns clean. There is also oil at building supply places for kerosene heaters. It burns just about as clean and may be cheaper. Do not buy paraffin oil unless you have liquid candles - it will mess up wicks on real lamps.

Lanterns are better than lamps. WalMarts lantern has a small wick and a small tank and provides enough light to read by if it is close. The Air Pilot from Dietz sold for around $15 at Lehmans is much more durable and has a bigger wick / brighter.

Now, here is my real advice .... http://www.lanternnet.com/ is the best site on the Internet. It is full of good info on lanterns. Since most of the fun in getting preps is understanding why you are getting what, drop by there and spend a while... I studied the whole site, settled on the Air Pilot from Lehmans, and got a WalMart lantern for secondary usage. Your needs and mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if not paraffin then what oil? That seems to be all I find. And I haven't seen gallon containers of it, just the small bottles. I think quart maybe

·
Banned
473 Posts
Do not buy paraffin oil unless you have liquid candles - it will mess up wicks on real lamps.

That is simply not true. I have several lights by the Anker company. Anyone that knows about maritime vessel lighting will know of them. They are extremely high quality lamps. I have exclusively burned liquid paraffin in them for the last 15 years with zero problems. The paraffin does work very well and does not give off a foul odor when burned. Its extremely low flashpoint also makes it a much safer fuel to burn rather than other oils and stores extremely well.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You right, they do make a usefull decoration, We have them in every room. I prefer the lamps with a glass bottom. I have bought several of the el-cheapos that have the metal bottom and, have had some of them leak from seams of construction.. Yet, I still have 3 that have held up.
Pros and cons..glass breaks and metal leaks..Can't win..lol

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
I have a few, but I rarely use them during power outages. I prefer big fat candles with at least 3 wicks.

I am paranoid about them being knocked over and the oil spreading and causing a fire. Same reason I do not have thin, tall candles.

And altho I keep them up high, I worry that my dogs' tails will knock things over.

·
The Mountaineer
66 Posts
Old Warrior is right about this

Kerosene or even diesel fuel in a pinch. I expirimented with red dyed diesel, and it burn just fine.

I've always used Kerosene.
It cost less to buy it by the gallon at the pump.

A friend of mine is totally off the grid.
He's using a mixture of Off-Road Diesel & Kerosene 50/50 Mix
sometimes a much richer mix on the Diesel side, and it works well for him.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts