Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody! I just recieved the Lehmans non-electric catalog. I really wanted to order some oil lamps but I have no idea which one. If you have the catalog Fall/Winter 2010, they are on the cover and on page 9. I like the Jupiter Farmers Friend and the Original Easy light. Has anyone ever used these Dietz lanterns before? I have never used ANY lantern and really have no idea what features to look for. I suppose I would want to have one that burns multiple fuel and gives the best light. Any Ideas? Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The Dietz type is supposed to be VERY good. After that, the look is a personal choice. Make sure you get some extra wick when you buy!

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
Personally I hate oil lamps. They are very dangerous if you have kids around and that smoke just drives me nuts. I use battery operated lanterns inside the house during a power outage. I know it is expensive for the batteries, but my kids can carry them around without me worrying about them dropping them and catching the house on fire.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Those that have and currently use oil lamps: Do you recommend buying new ones (they have improved over the years?) or vintage from second hand stores (Aladdin and the like)??

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm a big fan of the traditional Hurricane type lamps, but they have to be the quality ones made by Fuerhand. The cheap chinese ones are not worth Sh#t. I use one to read with all the time.

Aladdin lamps are great, but they take a bit of practice to learn how to manage them without destroying expensive mantles.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Ikesiked has some valid points. Oil lamps can be knocked over. If the wick is not trimmed correctly or is to high they will smoke. Kev has a good video about using outdoor rechargeable lights as night lites in your home.

Oil lamps burn kerosene or lamp oil. The kerosene should be clear not red died. By adding a little Methyl alcohol (blue Heat) to the kerosene it will burn better. Try to pick a lamp with the widest wick (7/8 inch) as this will give you more light. A taller lamp will distribute the light better than a short lamp. A tall lamp can be tipped over easier. If you live above 2000 feet try to get the taller chimneys. This helps keep the burn clean.

I purchased 2 Dietz Number 8 lanterns from Lehman's. They are well built and burn well. They have a large base and a low center of gravity so they are hard to knock over. The Dietz is supposed to self extinguish if knocked over but I have not tried it. The kerosene will still leak out. I had one of my lanterns out in 15 mph winds with out even a flicker. I have one Dietz lantern that belonged to my grandfather (about 90 years old) and it is still usable.

In a pinch you can burn olive or vegetable oil in the lamps. Be sure to NEVER USE GASOLINE.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Those that have and currently use oil lamps: Do you recommend buying new ones (they have improved over the years?) or vintage from second hand stores (Aladdin and the like)??
DW and I have them from the second hand stores. The technology has not chanced. China mart has some lamps that are good and not very expensive. The china mart hurricane lanterns are junk. They have small wicks and tend to leak.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I use aladdin lanterns with low odor mineral spirits, they don't smoke and burn as bright as a 100watt bulb and the wicks last forever. When the power goes out you'll find that you really don't miss it. You do have to read the instructions to use them properly or you'll end up bitching and moaning like all of the whiners who hate aladdin lamps. Rayo and Cosmos lamps are great too, aladdins are just easier to come by.

I stock lots of mineral spirits as I also use it to cook and can with.

Do not use mineral spirits with a flat or mop wick lamp or stove.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,628 Posts
I have more oil lamps than lanterns, but I have used a few of the older Dietz lanterns that I bought from auctions. They're good units and well built. They'd be the brand I would go for, personally. Though I prefer lamps for around the house. Lanterns are probably more versatile, in that you can carry them around more safely and use them outdoors in the wind, etc.

If you want something really bright to light up a room, consider an Aladdin. They're as bright as a lightbulb. Too bright to me, though they're great for reading. But they consume more fuel to gain that brightness.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,628 Posts
I use aladdin lanterns with low odor mineral spirits, they don't smoke and burn as bright as a 100watt bulb and the wicks last forever. When the power goes out you'll find that you really don't miss it. You do have to read the instructions to use them properly or you'll end up bitching and moaning like all of the whiners who hate aladdin lamps. Rayo and Cosmos lamps are great too, aladdins are just easier to come by.

I stock lots of mineral spirits as I also use it to cook and can with.

Do not use mineral spirits with a flat or mop wick lamp or stove.
I've never tried mineral spirits in the Aladdins. Sounds like a perfect fuel for them though.

I use it with my round wick lamps and even in a couple flat wick ones that it performs well in. It's too hot burning for some of the flat wick lamps though. But it does outperform kerosene and it's cheaper locally.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
I use these when I have to. I prefer wick and mantle lanterns/lamps. Right now I just have clear lamp oil stored and some Klean-Heat still. Klean-Heat burs smokeless, and odorless. I got the last can at Home Depot. They used to sell Clear-Lite...but it's not made anymore. At one time I collected lanterns and had roughly 300 or so. Had a website called "Lanterns Past.net" about 8 years ago.

During that time I hooked up with the owner of http://www.lanternnet.com. His name is Woodward Kirkman of WT Kirkman Lanterns. He sells Dietz. Dietz has been made in China since the mid 50's or so. But Woody is tooling and making a retro line of Dietz lanterns in his shop, and are marked Kirkman. His site is probably the best lantern resource out there, and I highly reccomend a visit there.

There's a plethora of knowledge there.

1920's Dietz Little Star

1890's Dietz US Liftwire

1890's Warren Eclipse

SG&L Brass #10 1881-1887

Aladdin Simplicity 1940's-early 50's

Aladdin Washington Drape 40's-early 50's

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a supply of kero lamps and lanterns. They not only provide light, but they also provide heat. Not unimportant in northern climes where daylight is short and the cold is severe.

I use candle lanterns in areas like the bathroom where space is at a premium, to reduce the "knockover" factor. They also provide heat as well as light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
LEDs & Aladdins

My suggestion, keep your lanterns and candles down to a bare minimum.

YouTube - Solar powered lights instead of candles
Love the LED walk light idea, especially about upgrading the batteries in the lights, I'll have to try upgrading some around the house. We use the Aladdin lamps for reading (60 watts output is pretty good) and also for heat, they do throw some heat one or two in my living room keeps that room toasty in winter. Take a little time to read the instructions & learn how to use them properly, they are the best high output oil lamps.

Good Luck!

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Love the LED walk light idea, especially about upgrading the batteries in the lights, I'll have to try upgrading some around the house. We use the Aladdin lamps for reading (60 watts output is pretty good) and also for heat, they do throw some heat one or two in my living room keeps that room toasty in winter. Take a little time to read the instructions & learn how to use them properly, they are the best high output oil lamps.

Good Luck!
The only thing to watch on an Aladdin, is that once the mantle has been used....if you touch it aftrwards, it can disentegrate, as in turn to dust and fall apart. The other for those that may not know is to never touch the mantle when it is new with your fingers. The oil residue left on the mantle can cause a "dead" spot....that won't burn....and affect the flame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lanternet link

I use these when I have to. I prefer wick and mantle lanterns/lamps. Right now I just have clear lamp oil stored and some Klean-Heat still. Klean-Heat burs smokeless, and odorless. I got the last can at Home Depot. They used to sell Clear-Lite...but it's not made anymore. At one time I collected lanterns and had roughly 300 or so. Had a website called "Lanterns Past.net" about 8 years ago.

During that time I hooked up with the owner of http://www.lanternet.com. His name is Woodward Kirkman of WT Kirkman Lanterns. He sells Dietz. Dietz has been made in China since the mid 50's or so. But Woody is tooling and making a retro line of Dietz lanterns in his shop, and are marked Kirkman. His site is probably the best lantern resource out there, and I highly reccomend a visit there.

There's a plethora of knowledge there.

Tried the link it failed, tried http://www.lanternnet.com/ (Two N's) worked ok. :thumb:

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,697 Posts
I went ahead and bought 20 of the Clear Mist 100 hr oil lamps that gives me 2000 hrs of light, at 4-5 hrs per night, 500 days....they just sit in their boxes, on my shelves.....

Haven't really thought much about regular lanterns...we have a small house, just the two of us....

I also have some crank powered lanterns....candles, lots of candles, my wife loves em.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts