Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods please put in your correct category

Just a heads up on a couple maintenance items. I notice my refrigerator temp climbing the last few days. normally I keep an eye on it as I walk by, but had not been in the corner for a while. You are suppose to clean the coils on the refer regularly. I had been remiss. Evidently, the refer has been collecting cobwebs for a while. the coils are on the bottom of this one, out of site out of mind. Problem solved without the loss of a few hundred dollars of meat. And the thermometer monitor moved to a more visible location.

This dirty little adventure reminded me of another. I regularly check under the hood of the vehicles, you know, fluids, filters, and such. After the refer I thought to check the radiator caps. Found one of them had started getting weak. Happily not summer but I don't need to get stranded.
Anyone else have ideas for items that need infrequent attention.

·
Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
1,989 Posts
Might want to get a magnifying glass out and check for pinholes while you're at it.
He does have a new young girlfriend if I understand correctly, so your saying she may have a brooding instinct? That would be ****ing hilarious........ for me........:ROFLMAO:
What's also hilarious is you post like 5 times a year and chose to be a smartass on this one..... nice

·
Registered
567 Posts
Advance and O'reilly's loan out a coolant system pressure test kit that makes testing for leaks very easy. I borrow one every fall for testing my trucks and every spring on my bikes. I've found a leaking radiator on one of my trucks and one bike and leaking radiator caps and hoses. You put it were the radiator cap goes and pump it up and see if it holds. Also has an adapter for testing radiator caps.
The kit is like $300 if you buy it. They also loan tools for ball joints, pulley pullers and other jobs that you don't do very often.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He does have a new young girlfriend if I understand correctly, so your saying she may have a brooding instinct? That would be ****ing hilarious........ for me........:ROFLMAO:
What's also hilarious is you post like 5 times a year and chose to be a smartass on this one..... nice
I doubt she is involved. He is just checking his equipment, if I read it right, and it never hurts to be thorough...
As regards my posting speed, I spend alot of time listening to the people here before I speak. Some might think I'm not too bright, lol, but no point in my proving it.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Mods please put in your correct category

Just a heads up on a couple maintenance items. I notice my refrigerator temp climbing the last few days. normally I keep an eye on it as I walk by, but had not been in the corner for a while. You are suppose to clean the coils on the refer regularly. I had been remiss. Evidently, the refer has been collecting cobwebs for a while. the coils are on the bottom of this one, out of site out of mind. Problem solved without the loss of a few hundred dollars of meat. And the thermometer monitor moved to a more visible location.

This dirty little adventure reminded me of another. I regularly check under the hood of the vehicles, you know, fluids, filters, and such. After the refer I thought to check the radiator caps. Found one of them had started getting weak. Happily not summer but I don't need to get stranded.
Anyone else have ideas for items that need infrequent attention.
Eclectric,

In reply;

Those propane cartridge space heaters like "Mr Heater" are, typically enough, stored away after winters. Storage sites are eg barns, garages, basements, tool sheds.

Cobwebs tell of spiders finding a nice habitat for spiders.

There are reports that "firing up" one of these space heaters for first time of cold wx season yields a flame sometimes shooting out the front.

With my Mr Heater brand heaters I keep a long handle, never used for painting, paint brush to clean out any webs in unit.

I vaguely remember above was recommended in Mr Heater instructions.

"Anothe flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance."
KURT VONNEGUT, "Hocus Pocus"

·
Michigander
1,575 Posts
In the fall I always do a 20# propane check.
Always seem to find one or two that didn't get refilled over the season.

Several things have 12 v batteries on them. I go around with the Schumacher charger and top off every one before the snow flies.
Or... this year, slightly AFTER the snow flies, lol. oops.

Top off ALL gas tanks, OR run them dry, depending. Add a cap of PRI-G or PRI-D to the full ones. PRI-D for Kerosene too.

Top off ALL Kerosene heaters.

Put matches or Bic lighters near all candles and lanterns.

PLUG IN the water bowl for the critters.

Verify snow removal equipment is ready to work.
(she's drinking coffee right now, so guess she's ready)

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
7,392 Posts
Maintenance on the family (people and animals)- vaccinations, filled prescriptions, supplements, and OTC? End-of-year using up FSA/similar, medical and dental procedures if annual deductible already met, fill-ahead prescription(s) before January since on the far side of the donut hole, etc.?

Have the kids outgrown their shoes, clothes, robes, slippers, socks, winter boots, hats, mittens, coats, etc.? Liners, laces, etc.? Reapplied waterproofing, etc.? Dog booties, spare leashes, collars, tags, sweaters, etc.? Shot records, etc.? FAK, poison remedies, list of OK and toxic plants, etc. for animals (holidays especially hazardous)?

Maintenance and repairs on the wheelchair(s), rollator(s), cane(s), bidets/bidet seats, toileting aids, bathing aids, hearing aids (lots of batteries or charger maintained?), eyeglasses, CPAP and spare parts/consumables, medical, dental, Medicare, Part D, etc. insurance cards, do you need to change plans (OPEN SEASON right now), Passports, DL, etc.? Tax paperwork for 2022 in one place and organized? Calendars and tax organizer for 2023?

Lotion, tissues, VapoRub, lozenges, etc. and other stuff used more frequently in the cold months? Steam and cool water vaporizers? Humidifiers? Dehumidifiers? Furnace and whole-house humidifier check-out and filter, etc. replacement?

And, DO ALL THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS WORK?
Bulb and light string tester/repairer tool, gutter, shingle, etc. hooks and brackets, long-handled bracket tool, spare bulbs, cords, etc. for the big stuff or anything needing special parts/consumables? Christmas tree stand(s), etc.?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts