Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning my evacuation route to my bugout location. I downloaded Google Earth for this and am creating a trail, trying my hardest to stay off any roads or at least major roads. Crossing under major highways along stream beds or railroad tracks.

They say don't plan for a bugout location further away than 1 tank of gas. Well that's fine and dandy if I'm taking roads and easy to calculate, but I'm having trouble calculating the distance I can travel while offroading.

I'm driving a '13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. My average road/city mpg is 14.7. Any idea what I should expect off road? I live in a suburb in the Midwest, no mountains.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My advice is, once youve plotted the trail, go test it. Either on foot or by vehicle, your call (and the laws call). You need to make sure its actually viable. Google Earth and such are excellent tools, but nothing beats dragging your highly sophisticated information processor out there to brainiac it firsthand :)

·
Premium Member
7,642 Posts
Impossible to say what it will be, but count on a significant drop. How big a drop will depend on how slow you go, how many RPMs you average while off road, if your in 4 wheel drive, how much you have loaded in the truck, torque demand, and I'm sure I'm missing some MPG killers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hello, Eagle Scout 1 I have done a extensive amount of offroading in my time easy and hard core I would say in your jeep all loaded down and at times in mud water sand and such I wouldn't bet on more than 10 mpg and I also wouldn't plan my bol one full tank from your current location you never know when you need to take a alternate route.It sounds like you might be planning a route that actually doesn't have roads currently If I might sugest a few thinks to help you out,a high lift jack, extra gas, a small chainsaw with premixed store bought cans of gas and a multi mount winch,you don't have to spend a lot of money on one harbor freight sell them pretty cheap I bought mine there 4 years ago and it works everytime I need it.A multimount whinch allows you to move them around to where you need it.if your rock crawling on the front is fine,if your in the woods and stuck going forward might not be a option and don't forget a tire capable off offroading all seasons wont cut it if your making your own roads.good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
I think the fuel consumption is going to be quite high, depending on the amount of time you'll be in four wheel drive, in a lower gear, at slow speeds. Overall, I wouldn't expect more than 5- to 8-mpg if much of the trail calls for that type of driving.

You might get a hiking navigation program for your laptop, tablet, or smart phone. Many of them can plot waypoints and distances from topo maps. You should be able to get a pretty close estimate of the actual mileage using one.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have an 08 wrangler unlimited, when I used to drive in on the ranch, mainly 2 track dirt ,brush type country, I got at best 10 mpg. I get right at 16 on the highway. we quit driving jeeps and pickups on the property due to the fact the newer vehicles fall apart after a year of constant vibration from rough roads plus mud, water crossings etc, and they cost a fortune. we still use them for moving cattle trailers and on the highway. switched to Polaris Ranger 6 passenger units, and I drive a RZR 4. I get 22mpg in the RZR the oldest Ranger gets 17, newer ones get 19, these things can carry 1500 lb and pull 2000lb so we work the *rap out of them.I have 6, and a couple of the cousins have bought them for their places.
Also DO NOT trust google maps for back roads . They have 3 different roads marked on parts of our property, guess the google car must have got in the ranch when we keptthe main gate open. It got where we had travel trailers, 18 wheelers ,and just people driving around the ranch miles from a highway,all because Google said turn left here! we now have an electric security gate, and my foreman has a couple of arguments a month at the gate from people turning off the highway wanting to know why the hell we have blocked the road! They also have several small county roads marked in the wrong places in our area.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
It is going to be hard to test an offroad vehicle route in most of the US.

Other than the tracts of government land in the farther western states everything else is owned and most folks take offense when you go driving across their property.

Perhaps you can do it where you live due to unique circumstances but as a general standard for everyone to use it fails badly. Vehicles will mostly have to follow the existing road system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a city friend once ask me how I could live in a place with so few roads. I put on my tinfoil hat and said that roads are the government's way of controlling our movements. :D:

Out here we do a good bit of traveling off road. If I was to take only the roads to get to town it would take me 6 or 7 extra miles. We may have to open and close a few gates but lots of country people have some of those "short cuts" that have nothing to do with asphalt and striped lines telling us where to go.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Out here we do a good bit of traveling off road. If I was to take only the roads to get to town it would take me 6 or 7 extra miles. We may have to open and close a few gates but lots of country people have some of those "short cuts" that have nothing to do with asphalt and striped lines telling us where to go.
And that may be a potential flaw in any bugout plan. If you are using private property shortcuts then what will you do when most are locked and possibly guarded?

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Roads? Up here you have to be small enough to squeeze between the trees.. My overall off road mileage last month's trip was approximately 1/3 of my highway mileage. If I spend lots of time in 4wd and low gear, it is less. Err VERY conservatively when fuel is far away. I spent $5.99 a gallon to fill up completely recently. Glad I did, instead of trying to make to where I went on 3/4 tank. As they say, YMMV...

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I spent $5.99 a gallon to fill up completely recently.
That's just horrible. I pay a bit more than half that.

These days the price floats between $3.20 to $3.40 per gallon here.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
It was literally in the middle of nowhere, where the snow closes everything 7 or 8 months of the year. I don't begrudge the man his prices, it's more of a service, imo. I had 3/4 of a tank, but I don't leave 4 rounds in the .357 either. The info he and the guy who rode in on a battered ATV gave me on the logging roads where I went was worth more to me than the gas. Ever go 40 miles in low gear and find a ravine across what was a road that went through last year? I didn't...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I drive a F150 FX4, Its nice to dream that I can get "Highway Mileage" to my BOL. But in Reality of loading it down and other vehicles on the road, or blocking the road expect the worst!

Your Jeep gets pretty close to the same Mileage as me.

I expect my Gas Mileage to be HALF of "City MPG", so its 14-15 now, So I expect to get about 7-8MPG during a SHTF type deal. With my Tank of 28G, gets me 210 Miles, Barely enough to get there. Plus I got 20 extra gallons in Gas Cans.

Get a 5gal Gas Can, that could seriously save your life/trip!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are a lot of variables depending on your terrain. For me, I also calculate it to be half of my City mpg. I am lucky to currently have my BOL to be well within my range with substantial amount left over.

I would also encourage you to walk your routes if it is off road just to make sure you know where the problem areas will be.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 2005 TJ Rubicon. It has substantial modifications and is heavier than stock. My highway MPG is beyond pathetic, but I knew that was going to happen when I armored up, changed the stock geometry and added larger tires. My offroad MPG is usually about the same as on-road, but I only have a 130 mile cruise range (on or offroad). I have a swing-away tire carrier that has attachments for two 5 gallon tanks. If I am pulling my M416, I can carry as much fuel as I need.

I am assuming you are looking at fire road type trails and not across country, blazing your own trail. I suspect you will get about 10 MPG except if you have a lot of sand, mud and snow. I would test the route in the summer, winter and spring.

Good luck and happy trails!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
2 cents.

And that may be a potential flaw in any bugout plan. If you are using private property shortcuts then what will you do when most are locked and possibly guarded?
you might want to have big bolt cutters or a cordless grinder with cut off wheel for SHTF in your rig. i plan on having some alternate routes that cross (GOVERNMENT LAND) it's suppose to be yours too. that might require them. i would advice staying off private property, unless you have the okay. (SOP for SHTF) if you open a gate, close the gate. bring a case of locks to secure the gate(s) if you cut one off, replace it. ball chain the keys to the gate or the lock. :) be safe.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Also DO NOT trust google maps for back roads . They have 3 different roads marked on parts of our property, guess the google car must have got in the ranch when we keptthe main gate open. It got where we had travel trailers, 18 wheelers ,and just people driving around the ranch miles from a highway,all because Google said turn left here! we now have an electric security gate, and my foreman has a couple of arguments a month at the gate from people turning off the highway wanting to know why the hell we have blocked the road! They also have several small county roads marked in the wrong places in our area.
I have seen this in my area. ALL of the maps are good in urban and suburban areas, but none are worth a darn in the rural areas. Something I have noticed in some of the populated areas is that the maps show where roads are supposed to be. If, for whatever reason, a road was not cut in the maps will still show the road as being there.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
follow railroads? .... most of the Midwest RRs have wide easements that you could travel .... but you still have creeks/rivers/highways that intersect ..... very definitely wouldn't plan on riding down the actual rail path ..... the gooberment will be giving maximum effort to keep the RRs running .....

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Railroad easements would be great for foot travel. Not so hot for vehicles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts