Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I work incredibly part-time (4-8 hrs/wk) for a major, very nice, hotel chain. It's a cushy job that I keep largely for the benefit of shockingly cheap travel for myself and my family.

I've been there 5 years, so I've seen the cyclical ups and downs of each travel season. Right now, it's the slow season for us, but they are being hammered with cancellations - sports teams, weddings, conferences, etc. all backing out. As a result, they sent out an email to staff today announcing that most of our hours are being cut wayyyyy back. They offered to help if we are needing to file for un, or under, employment (is filing for under-employment a thing??). I talked to them and told them to just keep me officially as an employee, but "on call" so they'll just let me know when they can afford to put me back on the schedule. That way, I keep the benefit (not that we're traveling soon).

ALSO, they are offering to sell us individual rolls of toilet paper at cost, lol! I guess it's good to have a backup plan, although we have a bidet so that'll be a big "no thank you!". I feel bad for my coworkers who count on that job, though. A lot of them are university kids and their spring break was just "extended". Not a lot of reasons to stick around town for now for them.

A lot of changes about to happen in this small town.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
29,794 Posts
How unemployment works varies from state to state. But generally speaking, if you have a radical change in earnings from the norm, you can apply for unemployment to help supplement that loss.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts