Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into the local gun shop today to pick up some ammo, and found a strange little Mauser. It has a 18" barrel, is stocked all the way to the end, has no markings at all except for the serial No. and .308 stamped on the side. Looks like a 98 action,and has no bayonet lugs. Last but not least, the sling hooks up on the side so It's for a mounted person. It looks very much like a spanish carbine, but all the spanish carbines I've seen have normal sling mounts. Any idea's?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does look like a 1916 carbine except for the sling is on the side so it could be carried across the shoulder. If it had normal sling mounts, I would say its a m1916.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,381 Posts
I own a 1916. It uses an improved m93 small ring action and has a small gas escape hole in the left side of the front ring.

I hope you bought it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I did buy it, but I have to wait 30 days for the permit to pick it up.
where do you live rifles and shotguns dont need permits?

almost all states i can think of you only need a permit to buy pistols and some like tenesee you dont need permits either walk in say ill take it fill out the paper phone call for background check and 10 mins later your out with your toy

Reactions: tasman

·
Registered
138 Posts
where do you live rifles and shotguns dont need permits?

almost all states i can think of you only need a permit to buy pistols and some like tenesee you dont need permits either walk in say ill take it fill out the paper phone call for background check and 10 mins later your out with your toy
They do in the great land of Australia FarmerJohn...Every bloody gun you buy need a permit and the 30 day waiting period :xeye:

We aussies are over a barrel when it comes to firearm's :mad:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is this all?, a forum full of gun nuts, and only a couple of replies. Very sad, not many of you seem to know your stuff. Try resting a book on your bellies when your sitting in your armchairs and learn a thing or two.
Mauser is one of the most copied actions in the world. And also the most modified. It is awfully hard to come up with an answer to a "very sad" verbal description. There has to be some sort of markings when you get the gun take it out of the stock and you will probably find more markings. Proof marks and the like. Any more informatioin that can be supplied will allow better responses.
Read up on posting pictures and I can guarantee you will get better responses.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Is this all?, a forum full of gun nuts, and only a couple of replies. Very sad, not many of you seem to know your stuff. Try resting a book on your bellies when your sitting in your armchairs and learn a thing or two.
I think that you will get a lot more help if and when you post a pic. I know it would help me to help you. Post one as soon as you can please.:thumb:

Al

Reactions: davis and tasman

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Hey Mate, throw off the yoke of your oppressive British rule We did.

Now ruled by 1000000 oppressive American rule

=) But we can, for now, still own a gun without a pink slip

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Test fire it first. Some rifles converted to .308 like the Spanish FR7 are not safe with FULL Loads. An FR 8 SPanish was not converted but rather it was chambered from get go in .308 (7.62 x 51). I agree with folks about the 1916 as a great gun.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Test fire it first. Some rifles converted to .308 like the Spanish FR7 are not safe with FULL Loads. An FR 8 SPanish was not converted but rather it was chambered from get go in .308 (7.62 x 51). I agree with folks about the 1916 as a great gun.
I took it out last weekend, and must admit it was great fun. Muzzle blast was unreal, huge at night, still large during the day. I thought it would have a bit of recoil, being alot lighter then my other rifles, but found the recoil to be hardly noticeable. It seems to shoot a bit high with the iron sights, so I am thinking of mounting a scope on it.
Cheers!

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
The FR-7 was made out of 1893 actions originally built in 7x57mm and there are some people who have concerns over firing .308 in them. The FR-8 was not originally made in .308. They were re-builds made from Model 1943 Spanish Mauser (8x57mm) with M98 actions. No problem shooting .308 in these.

93 action.Didn't that come in 6.5?might be pushin the envelope in .308...
The 1893 action was originally built in 7x57mm mauser not 6.5x55. The 1894 and 1896 Swedish Mausers were made in 6.5x55mm.

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts