Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just returned from the store and she had made a few observations while shopping. Canned meats like spam, sardines, salmon here in my area has jumped $2 in price over the last week. I also noticed that the deli cheese that we buy every week for $2.01 while it's the same price it's being cut paper thin now. Porkchops are the same way, they used to be about 1/2 inch to an inch thick and now they are cut so thin if you lay them on a newspaper would could probably read the print on the other side. I wonder what things will be like as the weeks go on and the full effect of whats going on in the economy hits the stores and the consumers who shop there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was at the store last night and noticed all the canned items that were on sale where sold out. I also noticed that the cheap store brand and discount cereals were mostly gone while the name brands were well stocked and some were even tagged for clearance because they were going to expire. I have never seen cocoa fruity extra sugar brand cereal expire on the shelf because everyone is trying to saving money and buying the "cheap" brands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I noticed that all shelves in general have bare spots except Aldi's, the generic food store. A great place for me to stock up with the cheap prices. Some people I know snub their nose at generics. I just don't buy the ones I dislike. Most things are fine. Because of their prices, I am able to build up stock quickly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My niece is a clerk at a major supermarket in California and she said when an item is out of stock on the shelves, customers often ask employees if they have any extra 'in the back'. There is no extra inventory in the back rooms (exception being bottled water, pop and beer). When inventory comes in, it is put on the shelves. What you see on the shelves is what they have to sell and items are often sold out until the next shipment comes in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thier the same price as before just the cheese and meat are sliced nearly paper thin. What I am assuming is that the price to weight ratio has gone up but to keep prices of the items on the shelves the same, the stores are cutting the meat and cheese thinner. I live in a rural community where most people make minimum wage or just barely above, people here can only pay so much for food before they have to sacrifice another basic animity. Meat has gotten so high here in the last year, a family pack of beef is about half the total cost of a months electricity for my home.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My wife just returned from the store and she had made a few observations while shopping. Canned meats like spam, sardines, salmon here in my area has jumped $2 in price over the last week. I also noticed that the deli cheese that we buy every week for $2.01 while it's the same price it's being cut paper thin now. Porkchops are the same way, they used to be about 1/2 inch to an inch thick and now they are cut so thin if you lay them on a newspaper would could probably read the print on the other side. I wonder what things will be like as the weeks go on and the full effect of whats going on in the economy hits the stores and the consumers who shop there.
I've noticed the same here. Canned salmon used to be $1, now it's $2. Tuna has almost doubled, too. Every single time I go to the store, I come back with more sticker shock. Gas is going back up, too.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
As a meat cutter I will tell you we do adjust the way we cut for economic reasons. if a family of 6 has 5 dollars to spend on the protien for their meal. If the price of pork goes up we have to thin them out so that family still gets 6 chops. This does not apply to everyone or every piece we cut. But as a rule it helps people with their grocery bill. me personally, I want thick chops and if i don't have enough money for everything I will put back a side dish....I want my main coarse the way i like it.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I noticed that all shelves in general have bare spots except Aldi's, the generic food store. A great place for me to stock up with the cheap prices. Some people I know snub their nose at generics. I just don't buy the ones I dislike. Most things are fine. Because of their prices, I am able to build up stock quickly.
Aldi's is GREAT! I prefer most of their can goods to national brands.
Those cinnamon crackers are delicious :D:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Meh, what you see on the shelves is hardly a glimpse of nationwide food levels.

Maybe the truck came in today, but the stocking crew just hasn't got to that aisle yet?

Maybe they get certain goods in every other day?

Maybe its a week day and the store is short handed and less is getting stocked?

Maybe stuff like canned meat is a slow seller anyway and they don't recieve lots on each truck without a replinishment order?

Don't jump to conclusions based off what you see on the shelves. I work in retail grocery also, so I'm not just making this up :thumb:

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Oh this stuff is just fear mongering. The grocery stores around here (about 10 of them) have not increased in price or sold out. This trend in your region has probably happened 10's of dozens of times you just have never noticed it before because you weren't watching or cared.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I haven't noticed this in Oregon either. Our favorite shopping haunt (Whole Foods) has dropped their prices and are definitely working on giving customers more for their money.
Also no shortages here.

There were shortages last week after 2 weeks of unseasonal heavy snowfall and no shipments coming in.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
I was at the store last night and noticed all the canned items that were on sale where sold out. I also noticed that the cheap store brand and discount cereals were mostly gone while the name brands were well stocked and some were even tagged for clearance because they were going to expire. I have never seen cocoa fruity extra sugar brand cereal expire on the shelf because everyone is trying to saving money and buying the "cheap" brands.

Last night probably wasn't a good indicator. I went to walmart and krogers both last evening. The crowds were incredible at both places since most people had the day off, were planning for a party, or didn't want to leave the football game on TV today to make a run to the grocery store.

And certainly none of the employees wanted to be working on New Years Eve. Empty shelves last night probably had more to do with heavy shopping and lack of workers than anything else.

If its that way a couple of weeks after the holiday season is over....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have not noticed anything significant in my region. I actually keep an EXCEL page with food prices for every week (with specific items) and there is very little change in price.

What you have to look out for is a change in the SIZE. The price may not change but sometimes a company will try to be sneaky and reduce something that is normally 16 ounces to 14 ounces but maintain the same price - that's rare though

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Interesting to read the stories of food shortages, food costs and gas prices going up.

In the Atlanta metro area it is the opposite ...

Plenty of food on the shelves at Publix, Wal Mart, Aldi, Big Lots (more than last year), Ingles and Costco.

Food costs ARE higher than last ear, but I don't see a doubling of meat, canned meats, etc.

Gas ... regular unleaded has gone down in the northern Atlanta suburbs from 1.52 on average to 1.25 as of New Year's Eve at Quik Trip and several independent stations near my home.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I've noticed some things in particular that have either gone up or the size was reduced and the price stayed the same.

Used to get Lee Brand sausage in rolls, $1 each, now they are 4/$5.
Johnny Harris BBQ sauce was $2.29, now $2.59
Coke 12 packs were 2/$5 then 2/$6 now 2/$8...all in 12 months.
Kraft american singles, 16oz was 2/$4...now 2/$6 is the going rate.
8oz bags of shredded cheese used to be 3/$4, now 2/$4 is the norm.
Canned goods used to run 35-40 cents, now 45-50 cents is the norm on sale.

Just a few examples. Not everything has gone up, but enough of things have to impact the weekly/bi-weekly grocery budget.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Around here Wally has been dropping prices on a lot of stuff. I think they're finally adjusting prices back down from when oil was so damn high.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My niece is a clerk at a major supermarket in California and she said when an item is out of stock on the shelves, customers often ask employees if they have any extra 'in the back'. There is no extra inventory in the back rooms (exception being bottled water, pop and beer). When inventory comes in, it is put on the shelves. What you see on the shelves is what they have to sell and items are often sold out until the next shipment comes in.
This is true of our store also. It's an old building and we have no room to expand - what you see is what we've got, and grocery truck delivers twice a week.

Meh, what you see on the shelves is hardly a glimpse of nationwide food levels.

Maybe the truck came in today, but the stocking crew just hasn't got to that aisle yet?

Maybe they get certain goods in every other day?

Maybe its a week day and the store is short handed and less is getting stocked?

Maybe stuff like canned meat is a slow seller anyway and they don't recieve lots on each truck without a replinishment order?

Don't jump to conclusions based off what you see on the shelves. I work in retail grocery also, so I'm not just making this up :thumb:
+1
Not only is it a holiday, but the holiday is the first of the month - food stamp funds were distributed the day prior. We're always cleaned-out of sale items on "food stamp" day. No offense meant, just a known factor in the industry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts