Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now this is something which I have slowly come to consider and I would like to hear other peoples experiences and thoughts regarding it.

Years ago I began to notice that no matter how clean the bathroom was, or how well ventilated there would always be these tiny fibres settled on the porcelain surfaces (they would likely be elsewhere but they showed up the best on porcelain). Now, back then I just didn't really think about it, just considering it as part of 'dust', but of course dust is a catch-all term for all kinds of tiny organic and inorganic particulate matter, though I didn't even consider 'what' it was at the time.

When I moved to my next place I noticed the same phenomenon - these tiny bits of fibre, particularly evident on my porcelain surfaces in the bathroom (my kitchen has a stainless steel sink unit). Imagine a full stop pulled out longer and thinner.

Now, fairly recently I became concerned that I had disturbed some asbestos during house cleaning and I had it investigated, turns out it was glass fibre, but from reading the reports, neither of these substances are healthy to have around. But I don't want to digress or become distracted here as this is about something else. Now, there was no glass fibre in my old house so it wasn't that - but my suspicions of man made fibres for clothing began to be raised when I realised that, essentially, the fibres are plastic. Or at least a percentage is some kind of ester or whatevere the terms are.

So I look at my clothes and sure enough a lot of them have a percentage of man made fibres. Most of the tiny fibres I see coating the porcelain surfaces are black - but if I wear red I begin to notice some red fibres amongst them.

The fibres are tiny, and you may need to look close to even see them, but they are visible with the naked eye certainly.

Can anyone see them in their own homes?

Do you think these might be getting into our bodies in the same way that dust gets into the nose and throat when sweeping sometimes?

Is this something everyone already knew but I just noticed it? One of my concerns is the material it is made of - the man made fibres, the plastics. The acrylic, the polyester, the nylon, etc. I have even seen one recently which sounded like cotton but is artificial, perhaps to be presumed as natural by the uncritical or the casual observer? (It is called polycotton)

I have also heard that even cotton can be laced with biologically damaging chemicals if it is grown and processed in countries where they allow it - and when shipped to the West those same chemicals are still present and then get into us and our environment.

If I could I would have all cotton, linen, silk, wool, leather etc. I can see how the dialectical process has been used within society to achieve a path good for neither side.

Anyway, what do you all think?

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That alone is an excellent reason to avoid them, but I think a lot of people just end up with man made fibre in their clothing, bedding, carpets etc - myself included, and don't really think about it.

I remember in this TV programme called 'Tomorrows World', from I think the BBC, when I was young there was a piece on an episode where they were describing how old plastic bottles were going to be used to make clothes - jackets were shown made of it (I think it was nylon, or polyester, I can't remember) and it was made to seem like a really good thing since they were supposed to be warm and dry etc. Sounded good but it also makes me consider that we have been testing these new materials out for a relatively short time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts