Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll start doing the maintenance on it once the warranty is over. But till then they can do it while I read a book.

As of last night, we each had gotten a call about trading ours in and 2 messages on the machine from different people at the dealership. My wife got ahold to the salesman we have dealt with and warned him to put the word out to leave us the hell alone before they **** me off. If they do it won't be pretty.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'll start doing the maintenance on it once the warranty is over. But till then they can do it while I read a book.

As of last night, we each had gotten a call about trading ours in and 2 messages on the machine from different people at the dealership. My wife got ahold to the salesman we have dealt with and warned him to put the word out to leave us the hell alone before they **** me off. If they do it won't be pretty.
Some (or many?) of those vehicle salesmen can be dirty dogs.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
My local Ford dealer is also unable to do timely service.
Worse, they couldn't fix an air conditioning problem at all.
Their service department has fallen apart.

BTW - I got a deal on this car when I bought it new.
It was on the dealer's lot when a big hailstorm came through,
damaging cars and roofs all over town. They replaced the
broken glass but did not repair the dings on "my" car.
It stood there for 6 months on the lot, with the price going
down and down! I drove past there every day, watching that...
After a while I thought that was too good to pass up:
a $30,000 sticker price for $18,000. With dings all over it,
but you couldn't tell that from the inside. It has been a great
car, although now without air-con.

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
My local Ford dealer is also unable to do timely service.
Worse, they couldn't fix an air conditioning problem at all.
Their service department has fallen apart.

BTW - I got a deal on this car when I bought it new.
It was on the dealer's lot when a big hailstorm came through,
damaging cars and roofs all over town. They replaced the
broken glass but did not repair the dings on "my" car.
It stood there for 6 months on the lot, with the price going
down and down! I drove past there every day, watching that...
After a while I thought that was too good to pass up:
a $30,000 sticker price for $18,000. With dings all over it,
but you couldn't tell that from the inside. It has been a great
car, although now without air-con.
I know a service manager at a Nissan-KIA dealer. He says out of the 19 mechanics, there are only 2 good ones that bail out the other 17. They tend to use the hotline for what should be minor repairs. Their diagnostic skills are nil.

I had my Mustang back to the dealer for a CEL at 1600 miles. They had to order a sensor, which took a day. The car was tied up for 3 days. Before I went, my buddy that owns a shop scanned it and was able to clear the code, it came back the next day. I trust his shop and expertise over any dealer.

·
HMFIC
1,232 Posts
I thought the Ford Diesels were good but maybe I was recalling one of their other diesel engines.
the old 7.3 powerstroke (turbo) engine is the holy grail of ford diesels. The new 6.7, I assume, is good. The 6.0L were nothing but trouble from day one. I believe they only made them for 2 years, they were so bad. I've yet to meet a 6L owner that didn't have problems, expensive problems.

·
HMFIC
1,232 Posts
I know a service manager at a Nissan-KIA dealer. He says out of the 19 mechanics, there are only 2 good ones that bail out the other 17. They tend to use the hotline for what should be minor repairs. Their diagnostic skills are nil.

The old thought of bringing a car to a dealership for service because they'll have better mechanics that know your exact car is now just a myth. Maybe until 20+ years ago, that was true. But now, no.

A good friend of mine is a service manager for a honda place. He said they have 3 levels of mechanics.....A, B, C. A is master mechanic, they can do everything from engine/trans pulling/installing, on down, including all diagnostics. B is a typical parts swapper. C is a tire changer and nothing more. They'll typically have a small handful of A mechs, depending on the dealer size, say 2-5. The rest are Bs, and Cs doing the garbage work.

When I was laid off for close to 6mo, he said apply to his dealership, "you're already a B mechanic". By that, I'm a home wrench, doing everything I can to NOT go to a mechanic to save money. He then explained the levels of mechanics at dealerships, and how very few are actual, certified dealer-specific mechanics.

·
Survivor
17,448 Posts
Our local dealerships are almost empty, maybe 10-12 new cars on the lot. Even the used car sections are low on stock. I'm glad we aren't looking. On a side note, I can't believe that anyone would choose to make payments on a car, although I do admit we have done so twice in the past 44 years.

Now, if we want a new car, we will save for it and pay cash (I'm sure we have enough saved now to buy whatever we might want). That said, we don't make a lot of money (under $50k a year) but since we don't have any debt, we can save that money for other things like a new car but I don't see us needing another for quite some time. The wife's Grand Cherokee has just over 90K on it and should last another 8-10 years if we are lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Our local dealerships are almost empty, maybe 10-12 new cars on the lot. Even the used car sections are low on stock. I'm glad we aren't looking. On a side note, I can't believe that anyone would choose to make payments on a car, although I do admit we have done so twice in the past 44 years.

Now, if we want a new car, we will save for it and pay cash (I'm sure we have enough saved now to buy whatever we might want). That said, we don't make a lot of money (under $50k a year) but since we don't have any debt, we can save that money for other things like a new car but I don't see us needing another for quite some time. The wife's Grand Cherokee has just over 90K on it and should last another 8-10 years if we are lucky.
I just bought a new car about two months ago. We chose payments because of 0% interest. Normally I'm like you and would just pay cash, but even the cruddiest return rate on my money is better than zero.

·
Registered
247 Posts
the old 7.3 powerstroke (turbo) engine is the holy grail of ford diesels. The new 6.7, I assume, is good. The 6.0L were nothing but trouble from day one. I believe they only made them for 2 years, they were so bad. I've yet to meet a 6L owner that didn't have problems, expensive problems.
That 7.3 turbo diesel must put out a lot of torque. One of the American diesel pickups, I forget which, has an optional engine that is rated for a whopping 1000 ft./lbs of torque.

Its a bummer the 6.0 diesel Ford wasn't good. the other optional engine for the discontinued Excursion was the 10 cylinder, which didn't have a good rep. I guess the only good engine for that vehicle was the standard v-8 gas. The Excursion would have been good if the 6.0 diesel and the v-10 were good engines.

I don't recall if the 6.0L diesel was a turbo or not.

·
HMFIC
1,232 Posts
That 7.3 turbo diesel must put out a lot of torque. One of the American diesel pickups, I forget which, has an optional engine that is rated for a whopping 1000 ft./lbs of torque.

Its a bummer the 6.0 diesel Ford wasn't good. the other optional engine for the discontinued Excursion was the 10 cylinder, which didn't have a good rep. I guess the only good engine for that vehicle was the standard v-8 gas. The Excursion would have been good if the 6.0 diesel and the v-10 were good engines.

I don't recall if the 6.0L diesel was a turbo or not.
Nearly every diesel today is a turbo. I said turbo 7.3 because in the 80s and early 90s there was a non-turbo 7.3, which was also a very good engine, bit didn't have the power of the turbo, and wasn't called the "power stroke".

Earlier excursions got the 7.3, I believe up to 02 or so. There was never a V8 option, they were all V10 or diesel. I don't think the 10s were that bad, other than horrendous fuel mileage and not having the pulling power of a diesel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nearly every diesel today is a turbo. I said turbo 7.3 because in the 80s and early 90s there was a non-turbo 7.3, which was also a very good engine, bit didn't have the power of the turbo, and wasn't called the "power stroke".

Earlier excursions got the 7.3, I believe up to 02 or so. There was never a V8 option, they were all V10 or diesel. I don't think the 10s were that bad, other than horrendous fuel mileage and not having the pulling power of a diesel.
Wikipedia claims there was a V8 Excursion.

I guess they'll never reintroduce the Excursion. If they wanted to, I guess they would have reintroduced it when gas prices got down to $2/gallon.

·
HMFIC
1,232 Posts
Wikipedia claims there was a V8 Excursion.

I guess they'll never reintroduce the Excursion. If they wanted to, I guess they would have reintroduced it when gas prices got down to $2/gallon.

I've never seen or heard of a gas V8 excursion. Every one I've ever seen, either in person or for sale online, was either diesel or V10. I don't see how a 5.4 could even move that pig very well. Wikipedia isn't always right.....if anyone has one or has seen a v8 excursion, post some pics.

They'll never make it again, especially with the explorer XLT nearly the same size anyway. The suburban has effectively cornered the niche market for people wanting a full size suv. It really does it all.....carries people, gear, and tows anything. And since the burb has owned that niche market for a solid 40yrs, when people think "I want a big truck that can haul and tow and have ultimate luxury, and not a minivan", they automatically think suburban/tahoe. That's why I feel they will always make a suburban, since it fits that role so well.

It's a shame, since I consider the 7.3 excursion the ultimate BOV. I'd trade my burb for one in a heartbeat, but my burb isn't even worth what the asking price for the 7.3 engine alone would be. I've seen them with 300k miles, and people still want $12k and more. Nuts if you ask me.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,074 Posts
They're just getting the 2021 models in because Ford and Chevy have to do something with the strip mine and stadium parking lot full of vehicles they have. All of which have been waiting for these magical chips. We have made these vehicles more and more complicated for the sake of "innovation" and to keep someone in a job. They keep charging more and more money for these vehicles for stuff you don't need. How do people afford these things. I'm convinced people are not this rich. They are in debt well above their means with credit cards and payment plans. Like our government and national debt their personal debt is not sustainable.
I can't figure out how people afford them, either. Well, I do know--they're up to the eyeballs in debt, in needing to have the latest and greatest.

I drive a 2014 sedan, a compact car. Paid off years ago (mostly paid cash, financed about half of it). It works fine. Yeah, I wish it had a backup camera and some other goodies, but when I compare my current car to my first one (a 1964 model), this is an amazing vehicle.

But I'm not going to incur a car payment just to have a new car. I figure it will cost me $50-75/mo average in service costs to keep this one going, which is one hell of a lot less than the payment for buying new.

That saved car payment? Imagine all the things I can do with that--and I do!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Earlier this month I took my "new" car to Carmax they paid me $2k more than what I paid OTD a year and 19k miles ago, it's that crazy.

I paid $23k plus fees for the car they are now selling it for $29k plus fees, it was brand new when I bought it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts