Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"WASHINGTON -- Half a year after the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), the Obama administration is set to release a series of reforms to the current gun law, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday.

The reforms, which are being crafted by the Department of Justice, come after a series of meetings with relevant stakeholders in the Second Amendment debate. But in a nod to the difficulties of getting legislation through a Republican-run House of Representatives, only executive orders or administrative actions -- and not an actual bill -- are expected to be handed to Congress.

Administration officials were coy on the specifics, from the reforms the Department of Justice would recommend or when it would actually make those recommendations.

"The president directed the Attorney General to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights," Carney said at Thursday's briefing. "That process is well underway at the Department of Justice with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues and we expect to have more specific announcements in the near future."

Just how near? Carney would only say "not far in the future." Another administration official said weeks would be an appropriate measurement..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/obama-unveil-gun-control-reforms_n_892633.html

I'm not an Obama basher, but one major problem I have with him is his lack of communication skills. He is terrible about giving press conferences, taking questions, or putting out information in a timely manner. This kind of news just makes me and probably most gun owners extremely nervous. The only Obama-admin policy we've seen on guns has been the secretive and disastrous ATF operation. So what's in store for us now?

I predict that most of the proposed reforms will be pretty mild. But, I've seen some dumb solutions come out of this (and every) administration. I could see some requirements for background checks at gun shows. That wouldn't be a problem if there was actually a system that private citizens could use free of charge. Actually, the more I think of it, it seems that whatever the president suggests will probably be bad news for gun owners. He has no experience with gun issues, is from a gun hating state, etc. Perhaps we'll see proposals for banning larger magazines, assault rifles, or other similarly "scary" but patently useless measures.

You don't have to "like" the article but you can thank me for bringing it to your attention.;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really enjoy the phrase "executive order". Might as well call it "Kings Orders" or "His Majesty's proclaims..." So are there any amendments left in the Bill of Rights that Obama has not gone after. Maybe the 3rd?? Its funny how there is now a huge scandal going on in D.C. regarding the AFT flop of the gun selling to the Mexicans and now Obama and Holder want to control our guns. What a joke.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re OP's post, there is already a requirement for background checks at a gun show. You cannot buy a firearm at a gun show unless you fill out a Form 4452 ( I believe that is the form) and have it approved by the government. If they can't get a backgrond confirmation, you will not walk out with the firearm.
The Resident, I am sure, would like to make it law that individuals had to get a background check before the can be any individual transactions, even between families, like gifts, inheritance, etc. .

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
but what can he actually pull off with an executive order.
Ohh lots of things. Banning certain magazines, classifying certain firearms, implementing new administration paperwork and forms, limits on number of background checks, getting a doctors note to prove you aren't insane....

Heck an Executive order was used to detain Japanese Americans in camps and forcibly remove them from their homes.

·
Getting Ready
115 Posts
I think this will turn into the same situation when he was elected. Huge increase in sales of guns, magazines, ammo, etc. Now what he decides to pass as far as "regulations" is anybody's guess...just have to wait and see.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
It would be suicide for him to do this which means it ain't happening. Obama needs the middle right to vote for him again. If he loses them then he won't be re-elected.

Now, after he wins, all bets are off. But, not before.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
It would be suicide for him to do this which means it ain't happening. Obama needs the middle right to vote for him again. If he loses them then he won't be re-elected.

Now, after he wins, all bets are off. But, not before.
I disagree. I don't think he has any idea what real Americans think of him or his policies. I think it's called a messiah complex.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I disagree. I don't think he has any idea what real Americans think of him or his policies. I think it's called a messiah complex.
That's not the issue... the issue is the presidential administrations for the past decade have been sidestepping our constitution to 'do what is right'... and, as Americans, our failure to prevent these violations from occurring. It's not enough to 'vote the bums out'. We've got to vote some people with values, in.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
I think it´s bloody time he got of his ass and did what everybody is accusing him of. I mean, imagine him leaving office and not having passed any gun control bills whatsoever. How would that make the survivalist community look like? Like a bunch of idiots with zero predicting abilities, that´s how.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
One of our best forms of defiance is through purchasing more firearms, more magazines and more ammunition. The manufacturing, distributing and retailing folks have more money which provides them with more money to fight such things and spread influence. We have more of the key items within our hands, making them harder and more expensive to try to pull.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
i just dont see him doing it prior to the election, but ive been wrong before..
He'll do it before election to satisfy the anti gun liberals . Right now many liberals are angry at him for being involved in 4 wars . He has to give them something .
He'll enact more gun control in a backdoor , secretive way so it will go mostly unnoticed by the uninformed masses and the main stream media .

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
I know he's rabid anti gun but he's not a dictator. There isn't much he can do without Congress. Look at all previous administrations executive orders regarding firearms. It's pretty much limited to imported firearms. Regardless the sheeple need woken up.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
I am trying to imagine what he could do that would hold up under legal challenge. I guess we will have to wait and see. Ad some gun control to the latest economic numbers and you have a good recipe for discontent.
Lord help us when the Americans have finally had enough.

·
Livin' the freekin' dream
428 Posts
One of our best forms of defiance is through purchasing more firearms, more magazines and more ammunition. The manufacturing, distributing and retailing folks have more money which provides them with more money to fight such things and spread influence. We have more of the key items within our hands, making them harder and more expensive to try to pull.
Although I agree with you in principle, I am not certain how many people have money at the moment. I am sure there will be some influx, but as of late I have noticed a HUGE number of used guns at the LGS and have noticed a decline in the attendance at the last three gun shows I've attended. In talking to some of the vendors they all pretty much agree that the economy is pretty much killing sales.

I know I have backed off a lot in the last couple of months with "extracurricular" type things (golf, vacation, etc.) even without any significant reduction in cash flow in my household.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am trying to imagine what he could do that would hold up under legal challenge. I guess we will have to wait and see. Ad some gun control to the latest economic numbers and you have a good recipe for discontent.
Lord help us when the Americans have finally had enough.
trying to imagine what POTUS, this or any other, is thinking is likely to give you an stroke.

I find a better reaction to the complete and total idiocy of our current federal government is to consider what they would want my reaction to be, and then do something completely crazy. I like to inject a little chaos into things. kinda like that guy from the allstate commercials.

·
space samurai
455 Posts
magazines and firearm classification were dealt with in the AWB. by not reinstating it, congress has limited his ability to do what he wants in that arena, because they have dealt with the specific topic. he could try but would probobly fail.

new paperwork and forms, that could be costly, he could pull off to a degree.
he could lean on the ATF to say certain guns made overseas dont have a sporting purpose and get them baned.

but jida is right, he doesnt need to pander to the left, he is there only choice, they will vote for him regardless, its the middle he needs, and the middle wants jobs, cheap gas, less deficit and theyre sons and daughters to come home.

the crazy stuff will happen if he gets elected again. when starting wages go down to compensate for having to buy employees health care and 401k matching is long gone, hes gonna be in some hot water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts