Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two United States nuclear power plants are on alert and President Obama has declared emergencies in Nebraska's counties where both nuclear stations are experiencing "unusual events." The official emergency declarations apply to both counties where the nuclear facilities are threatened with flood waters. Red Cross closed its emergency shelter at Fort Calhoun, home of one of the nuclear facilities, and is now referring and transitioning evacuees to other shelters. Red Cross is due to assess Fort Calhoun when conditions permit.

(read more at link)

Continue reading on Examiner.com Project Flood nuclear 'alert': Obama, Red Cross declare emergencies - National Human Rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/human-right...a-red-cross-declare-emergencies#ixzz1QFz7kfPF

http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national/project-flood-nuclear-alert-obama-red-cross-declare-emergencies

http://www.examiner.com/human-right...ear-alert-obama-red-cross-declare-emergencies

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Do you have an official news links for this story? I'm getting tired of trying to get accurate information from supermarket tabloid websites....
They have been working over the last ten years to change that. They actually do report on serious news stories. I've been on assignment with them a couple of times, and they seemed serious to me.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I am blown away with suprise that he was able to get away from fund raising for the up comming election or fore go his T time at the golf course long enough to get that accomplished.
Golfing for 13 straight weekends in a row should be quite normal for the leader of a nation on life support shouldn't it?:rolleyes: Bashing nuclear, or God forbid...coal....or any other American energy source even gets HIM off the course for a few minutes! That evil ole American energy.:(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's the deal folks; for those that don't know already.

The water is coming down from South Dakota (Gavins point dam to be specific)

this is a MAN MADE flood brought to us by the wonderful people at the Army Corp. of engineers. Right now they are releasing over a million gallons of water per second to come down river.

What we have been told down here is that the reason the water was not released sooner is because of a FISH called the 'paliden sturgeon' and a BIRD called the 'piping plover' they where trying to get water levels right for their breeding (or something to that effect) I don't really care because many people are losing their homes/property/and farms to this and that is a pretty stupid reason in my opinion.

anyways... back to the nuclear plants, we have one to the north of Omaha (heavily populated city in Nebraska) about 45 minutes from Omaha is Fort Calhoun where the nuclear plant is located, they had a water barricade or an air barricade around the nuclear plant, and the plant is completely surrounded by water, their employees have to get there by boat. However the water/air barricade they put around the building itself, has been "popped" (according to the media tonight) and now they have no protection at the Fort Calhoun location. They said it will be good for another 5 to 8 feet of water though, with out the barricade....... they also said there is no threat here.....

as far as the nuclear plant to the south of Omaha in Brownsville, they have not said very much about this one, and I have not heard much through word of mouth about this one either.

there are already cities and towns that are under water both in western Iowa and in eastern Nebraska, also heard about some looting going here and there, and sheriffs have patrol boats out and no one is allowed near the places at night.

people are also worried about the water treatment plants/ power plants being shut down, as these too are very close to the river.

as far as Omaha is concerned my belief is that they were holding back the water for as long as they could because of the CWS (college world series) which was moved to a new location this year in downtown Omaha to try and make the CWS a more corporate event (again my opinion, I preferred Rosenblatts atmosphere). It also doesn't help that many of Omaha/Nebraska former and current politicians own a lot of the ground downtown..... that's another story....

anyways Omaha is having the sewer systems back up and causing flash flooding because the water really does not have any where to go. This is due in part because of the water levels of the river, but also because its been raining buckets lately here.

they say this is the worst flood of the Missouri river since 1952 and its no joke, People around here are one of three things, when the river is running normally, they either love it, are scared of it (one of the fastest flowing rivers there is), generally its just a river to most people. I love the river, however it is moving extremely fast and getting out of hand, there are literally whole trees floating down it and it is moving!

Parts of the I-29 and I-680 are also closed, as are many main/county roads, in places.

Council Bluffs and Downtown Omaha are now in fear of the flood waters, as well as Epply air field and residents around those areas.

sorry this was sporadic, but what I have told you is what we are hearing on the news/some word of mouth. There is a lot of talk about the river flooding lately; I mean we do live in Nebraska so there really isnt much else to talk about, oh and right now the CWS is a big topic as well....

I don't know what you guys are hearing but this is whats happening.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS!

·
Registered
322 Posts
A state of emergency in any given state is declared by the Governor of the state, NOT the President nor the Red Cross. Once the Governor declares a state of emergency, then he/she may ask for federal assistance in handling the emergency.

·
Livin on the Edge
363 Posts
Ahhhh. This issue starts alot further up stream than Gavins Point Dam. Try the head waters of the Missouri River. There has been ALOT of flooding in Montana this year and its all getting pushed downstream obviously. Fort Peck in Montana is as full as its been in 40+ years. The good news is the snow melt hasn't really gotten started in the Rockies so if this push of water doesn't go past soon there is going to be a **** load more heading south. ALOT of snow left in the mountains here in Montana. Places we cut firewood last year around Lincoln, MT have snow still on the ground close to the 1st of July....Great Falls has well........great falls again with so much water going over them. Gonna be a rough one this year downstream, get your BOB's (bug out boat) ready cause its gonna get ugly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ahhhh. This issue starts alot further up stream than Gavins Point Dam. Try the head waters of the Missouri River. There has been ALOT of flooding in Montana this year and its all getting pushed downstream obviously. Fort Peck in Montana is as full as its been in 40+ years. The good news is the snow melt hasn't really gotten started in the Rockies so if this push of water doesn't go past soon there is going to be a **** load more heading south. ALOT of snow left in the mountains here in Montana. Places we cut firewood last year around Lincoln, MT have snow still on the ground close to the 1st of July....Great Falls has well........great falls again with so much water going over them. Gonna be a rough one this year downstream, get your BOB's (bug out boat) ready cause its gonna get ugly.
Yes, I understand this as well, and that this is also contributing to the problem, but as you said, this has not gotten to us yet....

So our problem right now, is the water being released from Gavins point.

The news down here is not mentioning the snow melt that is also coming, they are just telling us that it is because of the release of the water from the dam. People are talking about the snow melt, but the local media is not.

·
Who is John Galt?
189 Posts
I live in the area also. From what I understand Fort Calhoun has been shut down for refueling for a few months. What is causing some concern is the spent radioactive fuel held on site that might be in danger of being flooded. The Brownsville plant is operating at 100% and has not been shut down due to "economic reasons" I heard a spokes person for the power company OPPD saying that they knew that the area was prone to flooding and designed the plant accordingly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Obama made his disaster declaration and everything must be fine. He's in Bettendorf, IA today to give an economy (read "campaign") speech at a factory. No word on if he'll find the time in his busy schedule to at least fly over the Missouri River for a look see. Of course that would be an hour flight out of the way...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Obama made his disaster declaration and everything must be fine. He's in Bettendorf, IA today to give an economy (read "campaign") speech at a factory. No word on if he'll find the time in his busy schedule to at least fly over the Missouri River for a look see. Of course that would be an hour flight out of the way...
He probably has a golf outing he has to be at, or some rapper/celebrity lined up to entertain his wife, that he needs to attend to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts