Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, what experience does Obama have that qualifies him to be president?

Here is his resume:

Community Organizer
Professor
State Legislator(Illinois part time legislator)
3 Years as a Senator, two years on the campaign trail
CEO of a presidential campaign.
Good speech reader

No executive experience. Also I will grant that the McCain's have lived a comfortable life, well at least outside of Hanoi. However, Obama also grew up as a rich boy. Hawaii, Harvard, Rich lawyer wife, etc. Regardless, IMO, poverty is not a prerequisite to be president.

I understand that many Obama supporters are rabid Bush/McCain haters. However, does that alone persuade them that Obama is qualified.

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Take it a step further.... He was All the above in Chicago... who as recently as Last Month had to call the National guard in (the Gov has that job) because the CRIME is so bad. Not only does he lack real experience, what he has accomplished is the Exact Opposite of what this country needs.

·
Banned
653 Posts
The Obama Experience?

Sorry but I don't swing that way, and even if I did, my bunghole doesn't stretch open that wide.......

Oh, we're talking about how Obama has no experience.......

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
How about this guy's resume?

college professor
lawyer
president of a small college
2 years governor of a small state

That would be Woodrow Wilson, of course. My point is that Obama, by virtue of 1) his intelligence (as shown by running the Harvard Law Review, establishing and building up a very successful faith based organization, being an excellent writer, and running the best primary campaign in US history), 2) his level headed temperment (NOT a hothead like McCain "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran!) and having a "no drama" political organization, and 3) his vision of the future (supporting the middle class with income tax cuts, not initiating wars of choice, working towards universal health care) ALL show that he is the best man for the job of being president. I'm sure many people think I'm crazy, but that's what I think, and by November I think the majority of Americans will come to a similar conclusion and will pick him as the 44th president.

OBTW, Obama did not grow up rich--he pulled hiself by his own bootstraps, and even now is only worth $1,000,000, which according to McCain isn't rich at all!

HippieSurvivalist

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, Wilson had executive experience. Two, New Jersey was not a small state. Three, presiding over the USA in 1913 is night and day different than presiding over it today.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but Obama's experience in law school and as an author is sufficient to prepare him to be President?

How about this guy's resume?

college professor
lawyer
president of a small college
2 years governor of a small state

That would be Woodrow Wilson, of course. My point is that Obama, by virtue of 1) his intelligence (as shown by running the Harvard Law Review, establishing and building up a very successful faith based organization, being an excellent writer, and running the best primary campaign in US history), 2) his level headed temperment (NOT a hothead like McCain "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran!) and having a "no drama" political organization, and 3) his vision of the future (supporting the middle class with income tax cuts, not initiating wars of choice, working towards universal health care) ALL show that he is the best man for the job of being president. I'm sure many people think I'm crazy, but that's what I think, and by November I think the majority of Americans will come to a similar conclusion and will pick him as the 44th president.

OBTW, Obama did not grow up rich--he pulled hiself by his own bootstraps, and even now is only worth $1,000,000, which according to McCain isn't rich at all!

HippieSurvivalist

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
1. Obama does have executive experience: director of an organization counts as "executive", doesn't it?

...Obama moved to Chicago to work as a community organizer for three years from June 1985 to May 1988 as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland (Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale) on Chicago's far South Side.[12][14] During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens
from wikipedia

He's also the "director" of an organization that, since 2006, has raised and spent several hundred million dollars, and which defeated the Clinton "machine" over the course of a grueling year long political battle. Sounds like some good directing, to me!

2. New Jersey pop in 1900: 1.8 million. Smaller than: Ga, Il, Ia, In, NY, KY, Ma, Mi, Mo, MD, NC, OH, Pa, TN, TX, & WI. Also has the 3rd smallest land mass.

Sure, lots of states in that period were very sparsely populated, but New Jersey was certainly not a "large" state, and geographically it's a tiny state.

3. Agreed--today is different than 1913. But Wilson had to deal with wars, poverty, reforming coroprations, a corrupt congress and many other issues that require leadership ability and good judgement--skills which Obama has and will have to use. Is the world more complex now? Of course! That's why we need someone as smart as Obama to run the federal government (look where less-than-smart executive leadership has gotten us the last 7 years!) McCain & Palin are probably very smart too, but they're no where in the same league as Obama.

So I pretty much shot down your three points. What else have you got?

HippieSurvivalist

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I missed two other executive experiences (from wikipedia)

registering 150,000 voters...

Obama directed Illinois Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers that achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, leading Crain's Chicago Business to name Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be
and supervising the work of 80 employees:

Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988 and at the end of his first year was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review based on his grades and a writing competition.[18] In his second year he was elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review's staff of 80 editors.
And BTW, other than running campaigns, where's McCain's executive experience?

HippieSurvivalist

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
McCain was a commander in the Navy. Plus he has a ton more experience in National affairs.

Frankly, the experience you listed would not get Obama an interview for a CEO position of a company.

I also disagree that he is so smart. I have heard him speak off prompter and he is as bad or worse than Bush.

We will see what happens in November, but my guess is that Palin will carry the day for McCain.

·
high on truck stop coffee
16,524 Posts
B.O.the great communicator..?

McCain was a commander in the Navy. Plus he has a ton more experience in National affairs.

Frankly, the experience you listed would not get Obama an interview for a CEO position of a company.

I also disagree that he is so smart. I have heard him speak off prompter and he is as bad or worse than Bush.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
My point is that Obama.... being an excellent writer...
McCain, better author:
* Faith of My Fathers by John McCain, Mark Salter (Random House, August 1999) ISBN 0-375-50191-6 (later made into the 2005 television film Faith of My Fathers)
* Worth the Fighting For by John McCain, Mark Salter (Random House, September 2002) ISBN 0-375-50542-3
* Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life by John McCain, Mark Salter (Random House, April 2004) ISBN 1-4000-6030-3
* Character Is Destiny: Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember by John McCain, Mark Salter (Random House, October 2005) ISBN 1-4000-6412-0
* Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them by John McCain, Mark Salter (Hachette, August 2007) ISBN 978-0-446-58040-3

Articles and forewords

* "How the POW's Fought Back", by John S. McCain III, Lieut. Commander, U.S. Navy, U.S. News and World Report, May 14, 1973 (reprinted for web under different title in 2008). Reprinted in Reporting Vietnam, Part Two: American Journalism 1969–1975 (The Library of America, 1998) ISBN 1-883-01159-0
* "The Code of Conduct and the Vietnam Prisoners of War", by John S. McCain, Commander USN, National War College, 1974-04-08
* Foreword by John McCain to A Code to Keep: The True Story of America's Longest-Held Civilian POW in Vietnam by Ernest C. Brace (St. Martin's Press, 1988) ISBN 0-709-03560-8
* Speeches of John McCain, 1988–2000
* Foreword by John McCain to Glory Denied: The Saga of Jim Thompson, America's Longest-held Prisoner by Tom Philpott (W. W. Norton, 2001) ISBN 0-393-02012-6
* Foreword by John McCain to The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam (Random House, 2001 edition) ISBN 1-588-36098-9
* Foreword by John S. McCain to Unfinished Business: Afghanistan, the Middle East and Beyond – Defusing the Dangers That Threaten America's Security by Harlan Ullman (Citadel Press, June 2002) ISBN 0-8065-2431-6
* Foreword by John McCain and Max Cleland to Odysseus in America: Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming by Jonathan Shay (Scribner, November 2002) ISBN 0-7432-1156-1
* Foreword by John McCain to Debunking 9/11 Myths: Why Conspiracy Theories Can't Stand Up to the Facts by the Editors of Popular Mechanics (Hearst, August 2006) ISBN 1-588-16635-X
* Introduction by John McCain to Pearl Harbor, the Day of Infamy, an Illustrated History by Dan van der Vat (Black Walnut Books, 2007) ISBN 1-897-33028-6
* "An Enduring Peace Built on Freedom: Securing America's Future" by John McCain; Foreign Affairs, November/December 2007
There goes the writing comparison....
Do you really want me to pick apart the rest of your reasoning?

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
McCain, better author:

Do you really want me to pick apart the rest of your reasoning?
Ummm Lamb...you didn't "pick apart" anything. You stated an opinion, and then you provided list. That's not picking apart anything. Anyway, Obama writes his own books--he doesn't have to pay Mark Salter to write for him!

So yeah, take your bast shot.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Ummm Lamb...you didn't "pick apart" anything. You stated an opinion, and then you provided list. That's not picking apart anything. Anyway, Obama writes his own books--he doesn't have to pay Mark Salter to write for him!

So yeah, take your bast shot.

HippieSurvivalist
Mark Slater has repeatedly and publicly stated that he helped McCain *with an editorial eye* in *cleaning up* his writing and also that he did not write any of the articles or forwards McCain has written.

Look, let's be honest here...Obama is simply not qualified.
You compared him to Woodrow Wilson,
Wilson HAD *executive experience*.
Yeah Obama supervised 13 people as a *community organizer* and 80 people at the Law Review.
That hardly compares with Wilson!
Hell, going by your standards, I should run for President and would be TOTALLY qualified!
Have traveled and lived in other countries extensively. (There's my knowledge of other cultures!)
Have been published (poetry from age 11 up, articles in local paper in my teens, magazine articles in my 20s-30s)
Started and ran a non-profit for the homeless.(It is still in existence and doing fine)
Started and ran a Community Crafters Guild for indigent and homeless. Wrote the grant application for the monies to get it going from a private foundation, too. In one six month period I got 32 people off the street and into housing and jobs.
Ran my own company with 15 employees.
Supervised 125 employees at another job.
Was Treasurer of the PTA at my kids school for 3 years.
On top of all that;
I was in the military.
I went to college.
Raised 7 kids, including one with multiple handicaps
Hunt and fish. Can clean, butcher and cook what I kill.
Have made it through SEVERAL natural disasters without getting a dime from FEMA or a single bottle of water from the National Guard.
Currently run a rooming house where I am responsible for handling the rent money, mediating squabbles between tenants, placating my boss, arranging repairs, working with the city to make sure the building is up to code, etc.

But if nominated, I will not run, if elected, I will not serve!:p
(I would have picked Straight Razor for my running mate...:D: )

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
The only reason he's gotten as far as he has is because he knows how to spell and pronounce the word "change." Hell...that's reason to vote for anyone isn't it? I'll change this and I'll change that then I'll change it again, and again, and again. Change, change, change. I believe I've used the word "change" enough so far that I deserve a few votes at least. Change!

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Ah . . Sorry to bother you Mr. Obama, Sir</SPAN>

Excuse me Mr. Obama, I mean Senator Obama, sir. Um . . . know you are busy and important and stuff. I mean running for president is very important and . . . ah . . . I hate to bother you. I will only take a minute ok, sir?

See, I have these missing pieces that are holding me up, and I was wondering sir, if you could take time out of your busy schedule and help me out. You know, no big deal, just some loose ends and things.

Hey, you have a nice place here! The wife sees houses like this on TV all the time and says boy she wishes she had digs like this you know? Is that painting real? Really? Wow. I saw something like that in a museum once!

Oh, sorry sir. I didn't mean to get off the track. So if you could just help me out a minute and give me some details, I will get right out of your way. I want to close this case and maybe take the wife to Coney Island or something. Ever been to Coney Island ? No, I didn't think so. .

Well, listen, anyways, I can't seem to get some information I need to wrap this up. These things seem to either be "locked" or "not available'. I'm sure it's just some oversight or glitch or something, so if you could you tell me where these things are . I . . . have them written down here somewhere . . . oh wait. Sorry about the smears. It was raining out. I'll just read it to you.

Could you help me please find these things, sir?

Your Occidental College records

Your Columbia College records

Your Columbia Thesis paper

Your Harvard College records

Your Selective Service Registration

Your medical records

Your Illinois State Senate records

Your Illinois State Senate schedule

Your Law practice client list

A Certified Copy of your original Birth certificate

Your embossed, signed paper Certification of Live Birth

Your Harvard Law Review articles that were published

Your University of Chicago scholarly articles

Your Record of baptism

Oh hey . . . listen! I know you are busy! Is this too much for you now? I mean tell you what. I will come back tomorrow. Give you some time to get these things together, you know? I mean, I know you are busy, so I will just let myself out. I will be back tomorrow. And the day after. .

·
high on truck stop coffee
16,524 Posts
Obama records

Good post..I'm sure there are many reasons why Obama campaign staff have selectively released info about him...the manner in which they swept the Jeremiah Wright story from the news is proof enough for me.Obama attends these hate filled sermons for 20 years,then somehow just explains it as being..'an older uncle I could never believe in'..???Yea...right...:xeye:
I'm still wondering why he wants to put the world on welfare..!!I'm referring to the Global Poverty Act.His Global Poverty Act (S. 2433) would redistribute the wealth,a Communist hallmark...and would take billions of dollars annually from the United States – money we don’t have – and hand it over to the United Nations,most of these third world countries are run by Islamic warlords,I'm sure they'll use U.N. funds to obtain weapons and further their holy war against the west...:mad:.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts