Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused about how long foods last. I assume that any food with Fat in the ingredients will not last long. Well Oat Meal has 1.5 to 2 Grams of fat on the ingredient label.

How long will this last in Mylar Bags?

Is a basic rule of thumb is that anything with FAT on the ingrediant label not last very long? Like why Brown rice doesn't last long buy White Rice with 0 fat lasts forever?

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
It depends on where the grain fat is.

Take brown rice. The oil is in the hull and will absolutely meet air. In a corn kernel it never will until you crack or grind it.

The danger lies in the first moment the light grain oil meets oxygen atmosphere. Once that happens the decline starts and cannot be stopped unless you artificially hydrogenate it. But the grain kernel is a barrier if undamaged.

So Lakota's point is true. If the oats are whole then storage is safe from oxygen meeting the oil.

Rice is a bit weird because it stores its fat outside the kernel.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
I saw an interesting video the other day. A lady had stored sour cream for a long period of time, in the fridge, UPSIDE DOWN, which created a seal, and protected the fat from air. It was many months expired. It looked and smelled fine. O2 and mylar would add even more protection.

I've been wanting to wax some cheese. It got me thinking about ways to protect external fats. Could you 'wax' hard cheese using a vinegar spray, drying for a while, and then using O2 and mylar instead of the PITA wax technique?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts