Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try making bread without wheat. Could I just grind oatmeal until it is like flour and use that instead of white flour? I know it doesn't have gluten so it won't be as fluffy. I am trying to cut down on processed carbs where ever I can. Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It is my understand that any type of grain can be made into bread or flour. I think it is the startch in the grain that is converted to CO2 and causes it too rise.

Looking forward to more knowledgeable responses on this issue

later
wayne

·
Mom of 2 Soldiers
533 Posts
I would like to try making bread without wheat. Could I just grind oatmeal until it is like flour and use that instead of white flour? I know it doesn't have gluten so it won't be as fluffy. I am trying to cut down on processed carbs where ever I can. Any tips or suggestions?

I googled this...you might find something that appeals to you!

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
If it is only to cut down on carbs, you aren't going to lose any. Gluten is protein not carb.

No matter what grain you grind, you are adding "processed carbs" into your diet.

Reactions: crazy

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is only to cut down on carbs, you aren't going to lose any. Gluten is protein not carb.

No matter what grain you grind, you are adding "processed carbs" into your diet.
So if I ground rolled oats into a flour, it wouldn't be any healthier than white flour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not exactly what you were looking for but it is one of our favorites and you may be able to adjust it or it may be useful as a reference of something that works. Bread flour or additional gluten is not needed in this recipe. The oats serve as a binder and you can't taste them! This is a "Bread machine recipe" but I have included handmaking instructions as well.

1 1/2 lb loaf

1 1/4 c water
2 Tbs margarine
1 tsp salt
1 c whole wheat flour
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c rolled oats
2 TBS brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine pan in order recommended by your manufacturer. Use regular light setting.

If by hand mixed wet and dry separately & then add together. Knead for about 15 minutes (you may have to add just a bit of flour if it's too sticky but try not to add more than you have to) & then let rise until doubled. Punched it down, put it in your bread pan & let it rise again. 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour or so should do the trick but you may have to cover it with foil if it starts to brown too much.

Can also add cinnamon & raisins if desired and/or 1 Tbs flax

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Try to bake from whole-grain and add seeds and stuff to your dough. It doesn't by any mean take away calories or "carbs", but the body will process it in a slower manner which is generally healthier.

Oh yea, and if you can find affordable spelt, that is probably better than normal wheat, it has more protein and is basically an older type of wheat. Tastes a lot better too.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carbs are carbs. Ground wheat that is unbleached is just as good as Oats.
Maybe I'm mixing up my words. Is it refined flour I'm thinking of. I'm assuming that the body breaks down oats slower than refined flour. Anyways, I made a loaf using 2 cups of ground oats and 1 cup of bread flour. I didn't use a regular bread pan, I flattened the dough out into a large cast iron skillet and it turned out pretty good. May have to play with the ingredients a little bit. I have no baking experience so this is trial and error for me.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
When I bake with a lot of oats I pour some hot water on it and let it sit and cool off, then mix it with the rest of the stuff.

I don't know what the "correct approach" is but it works.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,584 Posts
So if I ground rolled oats into a flour, it wouldn't be any healthier than white flour.
It'll be a lot healthier than white flour. Oats are a nutritional powerhouse anyway. White flour is missing a lot of the nutrition of the whole grain. It's still going to have a lot of carbs, but to me, that's a positive. The downside to making bread with oats is the lack of gluten. You might have to mix in some high gluten flour (bread flour) in order to have a decent texture. Experiment and see! Bread isn't rocket science. :D:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Best to experiment NOW and not later!

Only wheat has gluten, and gluten is protein. That's the main reason why wheat is the highest protein of all the other common grains...it's all in the gluten, which you need to make things rise. I have white flour but plan to mix it with other grain and seed flour for a more balanced protein. It all has equal carbs, but too many carbs are important only in this time of plenty, not when SHTF. It will be a needed energy food.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i tried a oatmeal/wheat flour bread recipe the other day. it included honey,raisins,nuts, and olive oil all healthy things. unfortunately it turned out bitter and kinda tasted like wallpaper paste with raisins :upsidedown: ..maybe should of thrown in some sugar?

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made bread the other day with oat flour (2 cups) and bread flour (1 cup). It turned out OK. I ground the oats in a coffee grinder. I let it rise for about 12 hours, then flattened it out in a big skillet and baked it. It consistency wasn't like regular bread but I think the 1 cup of bread flour helped it stay together. It did have a little bitter after taste, but not overpowering. I'm going to make some adjustments on the next run. Would an egg do anything bad?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
You could try doing a mix of flours. Soya is a pretty sticky flour, I used to combine it with Rice flour - these however will not roll.

How about trying Oat flour with Soya, to see how it comes out! You might need extra raising agent.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I picked up some of the powdered milk and buttermilk.

Wife thought I was nuts until she had bisquits this morning that I whipped up via the instructions on this forum. I am again her true love.

does not everyone know that the way into an OLD womans heart is via the belly.

later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts