Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Forgive my newbish question, but am I supposed to get 02 absorbers or desicants for food :confused: Also, it would be mostly for stuff thats already packaged (mre's, pouches, food bars, cans etc) in a giant cooler. Do I even need them at all?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Forgive my newbish question, but am I supposed to get 02 absorbers or desicants for food :confused: Also, it would be mostly for stuff thats already packaged (mre's, pouches, food bars, cans etc) in a giant cooler. Do I even need them at all?
I don't think they will do much good in a cooler since it won't be air tight and those items seem like they would already be sealed in their own packaging.

You need O2 absorbers if your storing things like rice or sugar in mylar bags placed in 5 gallon buckets.

Here's how to do that:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Questions, if I may...

How long until the 2000cc O2 absorbers are used up. Would be helpful to know the amount of time we have to get them in, and make the seal. How long is too long?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Questions, if I may...

How long until the 2000cc O2 absorbers are used up. Would be helpful to know the amount of time we have to get them in, and make the seal. How long is too long?
I take it you mean get them in with what your storing and seal the bag?
You will have enough time that you don't really have to rush. Keep in mind once they contact the air they start working.
I have everything set up and ready to go.
I put my O2's in the mylar bags and add whatever Im storing then put another on top. If I have any O2's left over I seal them in a food saver bag asap. Then I do my mylar bags with the clothes iron.
All of my mylar bags have that vacuumed look to them after awhile which means the O2's are working and the bag is sealed good.

Reactions: Jericho

·
Registered
772 Posts
Questions, if I may...

Here is the way we do it and have never had problems.

First, we get all of our buckets (free from the various grocery stores we visit) and set them out.

Second, we get all the bags filled with whatever you plan on storing. Be sure to leave a good bit of room at the top, in other words, don't fill the bag all the way up...you have to be able to make a seam and I have found you need at least 5-6 inches the way we do it. You will be using 10 O2 absorbers so be sure you have ten bags to seal up, otherwise you waste what part of the 10 pack you don't use. Also, we have found that having the bags out of the buckets is easier to work with than trying to seal them inside the buckets.

Third, get your iron, crimping iron or hair straightener ready and hot. It helps to have two people as well for the sealing part later.

Fourth, open the O2 packets last and toss them in all the bags. This should be the last thing you do before sealing. Try to bury them a little into the stuff you are storing because if you just toss them on the top of it, we have had O2 absorbers get sealed and then they crack open and get into the food.

Fifth, start sealing the bags one at a time. Be sure to squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can while sealing. After sealing, put them in the buckets, but don't put the lid on the bucket. You want to make sure you got a good seal and how you will be able to tell is that it will suck the bags together...kind of like when you buy coffee in a bag all vacuum sealed. Also, if you don't put the bags in the buckets after sealing, it can be rather difficult to get them in once they have absorbed all the oxygen because they can become rigid like a brick. Once you are sure they all sealed right, close up the bucket, date it and store.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I had a 100 pack from Nitro-Pak. From that, I used 12 in 4 5 glln buckets of rice. I opened the bag, took what I needed, resealed it by squeezing out air, and hitting the open end with a large clamp sealer I borrowed for a night from work.

This time around, I busted-out the Rival Seal-A-Meal my wife found at Goodwill for $19. This unit has a vaccum feature.

I cut open the old bag of absorbers, which I've really had doubts about having survived the last operation due to my resealing technique. Used 3 units in a bucket set up for testing.. 6 glln. Placed the remaining units in a Seal bag and the machine did as billed - pulled the air out and sealed it shut. Wonderful! The bag was open about 30 seconds!

The SAM won't evacuate the mylar bags. We did two last night, and there was no air coming out of them.. probably because the inner surfaces don't have the small ridges that the SAM bags have. The mylar closes up under the pressure of the sealer, and no air gets out. So, we squished them down and selaed one half first, then the last.

This afternoon, both of those bags are pulled down tight, telling me two things:
The old O2 absorbers were working.
My seal if good.

I used a model 240. It has a bag maker method, wo you can use continuous rolls of SAM bags. It also has a cutter to remove the length you want from the roll easily.

But being able to make a reusable bag for sealing unused O2 units is just plain fun. I cut a bag way over length. I open it by cutting the top off, and reseal with a portion of the overlength.... about 2" when using the vaccum feature.

·
What Would Darwin Do?
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That company has ridiculous shipping rates. $9 on a $9.50 order:headshake:

·
Registered
772 Posts
That company has ridiculous shipping rates. $9 on a $9.50 order:headshake:

When we order from Sorbent, we usually order more than $9 so I apologize. Our orders are for more than 1 bag of O2 absorbers....we generally get O2 absorbers and Mylar bags there and the oder is more expensive than just buying 1.

·
What Would Darwin Do?
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When we order from Sorbent, we usually order more than $9 so I apologize. Our orders are for more than 1 bag of O2 absorbers....we generally get O2 absorbers and Mylar bags there and the oder is more expensive than just buying 1.
Not your fault.I appreciate the info none the less:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts