Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can 300cc O2 absorbers be used in 2 liter (67.6 oz.) bottles? How about in the smaller 32 oz. Gatorade bottles? This is my first experience with any absorber--surely it doesn't suck inward and/or deform the bottle in any way.

Also, I read recently that the absorbers shouldn't be used for storage of "sugary" foods as it would change the makeup of the food (or something to that effect--I don't remember exactly). I've got several 2 liter bottles of sugar put away and was hoping to slip in an absorber to increase shelf life.

Thanks, in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
With salt and sugar you don't want to use the o2 absorbers. It will turn the salt and sugar to a hard brick. They will last a long time on their own. When I put the o2 absorbers into a mylar bag the will suck the bag in as they suck up the o2 so yes i would think they could do the same in a 2 liter bottle. The plastic bottles might spring a leak where the bottle has kinked in so i would be cautious about using o2 absorbers in them. Sorbent Systems makes the o2 absorbers and the Mylar bags in many sizes and they are not very expensive.
http://sorbentsystems.com/o2absorbers.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With salt and sugar you don't want to use the o2 absorbers. It will turn the salt and sugar to a hard brick. They will last a long time on their own. When I put the o2 absorbers into a mylar bag the will suck the bag in as they suck up the o2 so yes i would think they could do the same in a 2 liter bottle. The plastic bottles might spring a leak where the bottle has kinked in so i would be cautious about using o2 absorbers in them. Sorbent Systems makes the o2 absorbers and the Mylar bags in many sizes and they are not very expensive.
http://sorbentsystems.com/o2absorbers.html

Thanks for the link. I posed the same question to the company and awaiting their response.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
300cc is a bit big for a 2 liter bottle, and especially for a 32 ounce one. While it probably wouldn't cause problems in the 2 liter, the moisture it gives off, might cause issues in the smaller one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts