Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the rookie mistake of overthinking my EOTWAWKI/SHTF combat gear. Too heavy for really practical use. So, can someone give me a real list of what you would/ would not carry if things got "oh my gosh" really bad. I'm talking real life combat in the streets bad.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Yes keep it to a minimum, you have to balance between ammo, water, and protection.

Think- lighter, faster, meaner you sacrifice armor for a little more mobility.

What is it that you want to accomplish?

Choose your mission and plan your load out.

This is my urban combat rig, with the exception of the color it is exactly what I wore in combat and evolved over a couple of tours.

The thing that kept us safe was stealth, speed, and violence of action.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Best sword is going to be a Katana...........

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Slices, dices, and makes julian fries.......WTF are julian fries anyway?
IIRC they're the little skinny fries. Like Freddy's Frozen Custard serves.

I find it ironic that someone worried about being a mall ninja, is asking about combat in the streets gear...
Honestly, I think that's kind of the definition... ;)

ETA: Seriously though, best advice would come by joining the Marines or Army. They have this stuff down.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I'm not a mall ninja. I just need some guidance on how to gear out my defensive/offensive gear in a wartime scenerio. The help me get a sword was supposed to be a joke.
Are you planning on going to war as your Army of One?

WTF? I don't understand.

If someone is all kitted out with a bunch of tactical gear, sneaking around other people's property after the end of the Rule of Law, I think some others are going to kill that person and split up that neat gear.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you planning on going to war as your Army of One?

WTF? I don't understand.

If someone is all kitted out with a bunch of tactical gear, sneaking around other people's property after the end of the Rule of Law, I think some others are going to kill that person and split up that neat gear.

No, I don't plan on being a lone ranger. I just think I should prepare to be part of a larger group. I think a major World War is coming. If it does, it may wind up on our own streets. Even if that doesn't happen. I kinda hope that the peaceful folk would get sick and tired of seeing there neighbors getting raided. We could come together as a group and take care of the situation and kill the raiders. Then go back to our farming or whatever. I think that would be a better option than just waiting around for them to come to our homes or BOL's to kill us off one at a time. Eventually we will run out of bullets or get shot trying to defend our homes. If the raiders are left unchecked, they will eventually win. The idea is to make them think twice about becoming raiders in the first place. Make them afraid of us, instead of us being afraid of them.

It's worked for Israel all this time. They are surrounded by countries that hate them and would like nothing better than to kill them off and take everything they have. The best defense is a good offense kinda thing.

But, then again, I am talking about a real EOTWAWKI situation, not some kinda natural disaster or other thing that will eventually get back to something that resembles the world as we know it.

The settlers in the wild west had a similiar problem. They were surrounded by hostile tribes and bandits. I bet they considered them raiders. They dealt with them. Eventually, they had the cavalry. They hunted the raiders. What was the result. They actually settled the land. If they had taken the defensive approach, I honestly think they would have just been killed off one at a time.

I think our policy should be, if someone raids our peaceful neighbor. We should join together and teach the raiders a lesson. I grew up in a bad neighborhood. There was this one family. I'll call them family X. Nobody messed with them. Not because they were the strongest best fighters on the block. Because the word got out that if you messed with one of them, you messed with all of them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ok, so you have a good base to work from. Go through it and pick out the essentials bag with a 2-3 day setup. Don't try to lug 1000 rds, or 50 water kits and your AR. Think more about your sidearm, some heat and eat concentrates, an emergency blanket and poncho, that sort of thing. Find a medium bag/backpack to fit it in that you could carry while running. Add any light items you may need.

For longer range planning, think about transport of personal weapons, backpacks, tubs, which vehicle is best, those plans will stand you in good stead.

I keep 6 large, heavy-duty storage tubs (Walmart) in my garage which contain a large tent (210 sf), 2 small ones, 7 sleeping bags, blankets, fire-starter, water kits and all sorts of gear which can be quickly loaded in our 4WD truck. Loading from the pantry is a little more time-consuming but there's room in the tubs for foods as well.

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Nice choice, Straza. I'm a fan of them. They're local*!

Personally, I'd skip a sword or machete, but that's because an axe or tomahawk in my area is more useful.

*it's Montana. Anything within 400 miles is "local"

1 - 20 of 66 Posts