Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went and received my NYS pistol permit. I live upstate and its a "concealed carry" with restrictions stating "outdoor sports" can anyone give me more detail as to what this means etc. I know its NY, I can always leave, this is ridiculous according to other states, it should be covered by second amendment etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sure many counties now days are putting restrictions on carry permits,some limit it to what you put on your app. Say you put "target shooting" then thats all your permit is good for. Others just add what they feel like.Ya its a carry permit, and that should be that,but they put limits on yours.

It would seem yours is limited to hunting,outdoor rec. shooting etc.

I've had one for 25 plus years,Monroe county still issues them for carry.No limits at all. Mine is good for lifetime,no classes to take either, can carry even where booze is served .

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
2,097 Posts
They will issue a carry permit upstate no special reason required such as moving large amounts of cash ???????

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a NYS pistol permit that is "Target/Hunting" only. My particular county does'nt give out "Carry" permits very easily. Transporting my handguns to/from the range or hunting is what I'm limited to do. You need to definitely contact your county pistol permit office for clarification on so you don't jeopardize your new license.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You guys are lucky - you should see my NYC permit - gun must be transported in lock case with ammo locked in another case and magazines in another case and the gun must have a trigger lock and the ammo must have an ammo lock and the magazines must be 10 rounds or less and locked in a magazine case ....................................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It never ends down here!

·
Fuel Miner
124 Posts
Sure many counties now days are putting restrictions on carry permits,some limit it to what you put on your app. Say you put "target shooting" then thats all your permit is good for. Others just add what they feel like.Ya its a carry permit, and that should be that,but they put limits on yours.

It would seem yours is limited to hunting,outdoor rec. shooting etc.

I've had one for 25 plus years,Monroe county still issues them for carry.No limits at all. Mine is good for lifetime,no classes to take either, can carry even where booze is served .
You sure about the "no expiration" thing? I have a permit from Wayne county that has no expiration on it and I always wondered about that. I no longer live in State. The permit from then (1995) looked like a joke. It had a picture taped to it. The CCW permits these days (In Louisiana) look like a drivers license.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
Indiana offers lifetime permits too. I still have mine, although I don't live there anymore.

·
day late & a dollar short
196 Posts
NYS is ridiculous with gun laws. WHen I moved from NH to upstate NY I sold all my guns because they were all ileagal for me to own there- Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero, both handguns, can't OWN them without a permit that will take months to probably NOT get. AK47 with folding stock, flash supressor, bayonet lug, and thirty round clips and a similar AR15, both ileagal in NY.
I don't live there anymore, not that Maryland is much better, but I really regret selling them. I wish I would have quietly just held on to them. Looking at moving back to NH in a year or so- I'll be happy when that happens!
Peace
John

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any LEOs reading this? I have heard that having the permit it automatically comes up if I get pulled over because of my license plates cross reference with it? So are they going to ask whenever I get pulled over? I crossed the border into Canada the other week and at customs they point blank asked me if I help a pistol permit, after asking me if I had any weopons on board. That was the first time I have ever been asked that and I cross the border quite regularly. Thanks.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
Just went and received my NYS pistol permit. I live upstate and its a "concealed carry" with restrictions stating "outdoor sports".
Sounds like you can only defend yourself if you're out hiking in the woods.

Can't help but wonder if jogging in an urban envrionment would qualify as a state sanctioned "outdoor sport".

Seriously though this is similar to the "Sporting and Target" restriction imposed on some subjects of Massachusetts. You really should contact an attourney who specalizes in firearms law. $100.00 bucks on a consultation could save you several thousand bucks on legal fees later.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,410 Posts
SH25, I am, and have been, involved with law enforcement and the courts for most of my carreer. there are STRICT limits to concealed carry here in Suffolk county and it is VERY limited.

I meet NONE of the criteria for it. None. as do 99% of the citizenry, unfortunately. so, most of us are limited to [f1] Sportsman "for cause" issue. I just completed my permit application, so, all these restrictions are fresh in the mind. :)

I wish it was different.....

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Generally speaking, if you are a good boy for 12-24 months with your restricted pistol permit, most judges will grant you unrestricted CCW status but you do have to ask for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.