Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been researching NY state knife carry laws just to be armed with information should a cop ever have a problem with a jacknife im carrying or any other person for that matter. according to NY law:

= you can concealed or open carry any knife except switchblades, autos, and gravity knives.
= even a machete or other dangerous weapon you can have, you have to also have intent to harm others to be a misdemeanor. (obviously risky)
= you can have a gravity knife or auto knife if you are hunting or fishing with a permit.

NYC in any public area.

= NO knives 4" or longer.
= no open carry of any knife
= no locking knives

·
Registered
755 Posts
ive been researching NY state knife carry laws just to be armed with information should a cop ever have a problem with a jacknife im carrying or any other person for that matter. according to NY law:

= you can concealed or open carry any knife except switchblades, autos, and gravity knives.
= even a machete or other dangerous weapon you can have, you have to also have intent to harm others to be a misdemeanor. (obviously risky)
= you can have a gravity knife or auto knife if you are hunting or fishing with a permit.

NYC in any public area.

= NO knives 4" or longer.
= no open carry of any knife
= no locking knives
Now the question is are they going to interpret the law as Britain does and since they say no locking knives based that they lump locking knives in the same category as fixed blades or no knives over 4 inches, would one be safe carrying a RAT3. This has a 3 inch blade but some over zealous cop or judge will say if you cant have a folder that locks because it is strong and will not fold up and cut your own hand when stabbing someone then it must be common sense that you can't have a fixed blade. I am not advocating breaking any law and encouraging you to carry a fixed blade but under literal wording a fixed blade like a RAT 3 or Cold Steel mini Pendelton would be legal. Yet in the case of the over zealous cop it would be up to you and how much money you have to afford legal reprentation to bear the proof of innocence. Be careful and be smart.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i normaly carry a 4" blade locking folder (gerber). so all this time i have been breaking the law in public places! oops! for work i wear scrubs too and i hook the knife over the waist of my scrub pants. mostly concealed but if i reach up high people could see it. never had any wierd reactions to it though.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I live and newyork and carry what I like. I'll normally carry a folder, specifically a Gerber Gator 2 in my pocket. I've carried fixed blades before when not in the wilderness and have no intent of harming people. Therefore. I do not care. I've never gotten harrassed for having a fixed blade on my belt by law enforcement. I know enough of the law and legel limitations to "Get away" with what I'm doing.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live and newyork and carry what I like. I'll normally carry a folder, specifically a Gerber Gator 2 in my pocket. I've carried fixed blades before when not in the wilderness and have no intent of harming people. Therefore. I do not care. I've never gotten harrassed for having a fixed blade on my belt by law enforcement. I know enough of the law and legel limitations to "Get away" with what I'm doing.
thats good to know, thanx. cuz i have no intention to stop carrying a knife anytime soon. so youve had LE in NYC be indifferent to a fixed blade open carry? wow.
ive had mahwah NJ cops get scared cuz of a little jacknife in my pocket " whats the knife for??!!" lol dorks. this is after i approached him in the spotlight with my hands open and out in the open to set him at ease.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I'm assuming the double-edged boot knife I had hidden at my waist while visiting NYC was not legal, - the blade was just about 4" and it was concealed. I know it was illegal in DC where I lived at the time, though I never had an issue as I did not go around stabbing people. Besides, the .38 would have gotten all the cop's attention, especially when it came back owned by a cop.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm assuming the double-edged boot knife I had hidden at my waist while visiting NYC was not legal, - the blade was just about 4" and it was concealed. I know it was illegal in DC where I lived at the time, though I never had an issue as I did not go around stabbing people. Besides, the .38 would have gotten all the cop's attention, especially when it came back owned by a cop.
technicaly i think that would be legal. under 4" good, concealed good, not a locking folder good right?

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
technicaly i think that would be legal. under 4" good, concealed good, not a locking folder good right?
It was the double edge that I think threw it. Was told by one of my sister's fellow MP's that double edge was illegal in both DC and NYC (remember clearly him telling me this while riding in the Washington Monument elevator). Of course, he was trying to get the knife off me...

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I go through metal detectors one or twice a week in NYC. I also always carry a pocket knife, always gets checked and knife always is returned. This is a non issue. They are looking for guns and bombs.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
LEO's in NYC won't bother you with a pocket knife or a clip on knife as long as you aren't being stupid with it. Stupid being brandishing it with obvious intent to slice a person open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought it was a "must" now in ny for it to be a fixed blade...i keep reading a bunch of stuff from different people....i just don't want to get pulled over one day and get searched...or even walk down a block and get randomly searched (it has happened...just from getting off a pay phone cause my battery on my cell phone died)...NY has just become ridiculous...last time in a self defense situation...i got yelled at by the cop for beating the persons a$$ for assaulting me....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.