Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Grevcon 10
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's starting to look bad. Windows are being boarded up, the people who can get out are getting out, 1/6 of NYPD is calling in/sick and their numbers are dropping fast, medical workers too, the city gov is becoming extremely desperate and authoritarian just as its ability to exert power succesfully is diminishing.

NYC may end up going just how we as a community expected it to in a SHTF.

Let's go ahead and get the thread started. NYC is going to be the 'canary in the coal mine' for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
One of the differences that make NYC a potential disaster area of chaos is the fact that the law abiding citizens are TOTALLY DISARMED! Virtually NO ONE in NYC can legally own a firearm, let alone carry it.

While some New Yorkers may own shotguns and hunting rifles, the vast majority are unarmed and unable to protect themselves. Also, the large black population has been guilty of rioting and looting during previous crisis, i.e. blackouts.

So, the NYC example may be appropriate for large Democrat run cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, etc. It is NOT a portent of doom for most of the country.

·
Grevcon 10
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the differences that make NYC a potential disaster area of chaos is the fact that the law abiding citizens are TOTALLY DISARMED! Virtually NO ONE in NYC can legally own a firearm, let alone carry it.

While some New Yorkers may own shotguns and hunting rifles, the vast majority are unarmed and unable to protect themselves. Also, the large black population has been guilty of rioting and looting during previous crisis, i.e. blackouts.

So, the NYC example may be appropriate for large Democrat run cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, etc. It is NOT a portent of doom for most of the country.
Indeed, but the big cities collapsing has impacts on all of us. Ask Florida.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is LA mirroring this yet?
If not, they will be soon. Over a week ago LA was already so short staffed that they were putting detectives on the streets as uniformed patrols in a 'show of force'. These are guys/gals that haven't worked the streets in 5-10+ years..

If they were needing to put detectives on the streets over a week ago, I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When the police can not handle, then the national guard comes in, and when the national guard can not handle to police the place ...then the military comes in. That is the standard protocol around the world with most disasters. And I am sure it is going to happen soon especially with them letting top criminals in the world lose on our streets. If they do not do this then kiss the cities good by....it will look a thousand times worst then Katrina.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
When the police can not handle, then the national guard comes in, and when the national guard can not handle to police the place ...then the military comes in. That is the standard protocol around the world with most disasters. And I am sure it is going to happen soon especially with them letting top criminals in the world lose on our streets. If they do not do this then kiss the cities good by....it will look a thousand times worst then Katrina.
I don't think you have any idea how small the NG is, how it is organized, and how unsuited it is for a rent a cop mission (other than a few MP companies). You're not even looking for riot control in this environment.

For example the Ill NG has less than 12000 troops (NY is only 10000). TOTAL. All type units and MOS. (It is no accident there is a NG MP BN located in downstate Il). Most troops are going to reside OUTSIDE of Chiraq even if their drill station is in the metro hive. NCOs and Officers, in particular, frequently don't even reside in the same STATE. They drill wherever then can get a slot at their grade/MOS. This was not the case when the hippies were having the isolated riots during the doper years.

Calling units out for "civil disturbance"/riot duty, when the entire nation is in turmoil, the Gov be disappointed with "unexpected" difficulties with leadership making it in. The troops joined to defend the nation and to serve their communities. NOT to disciple the uncivilized zombies of the inner city cesspools.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,168 Posts
Really, the military comes in after the guard? The National Guard is part of the military. It is the only part that has posse comitatus.

I was in NOLA for Katrina with the NG. I have been both active and guard. Spent a few years working domops planning so I may have a different perspective of how it works. I remember the title 10 Soldiers not being allow to have ammo but all the guard Soldiers (title 32) did.

·
Grevcon 10
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think you have any idea how small the NG is, how it is organized, and how unsuited it is for a rent a cop mission (other than a few MP companies). You're not even looking for riot control in this environment.

For example the Ill NG has less than 12000 troops (NY is only 10000). TOTAL. All type units and MOS. (It is no accident there is a NG MP BN located in downstate Il). Most troops are going to reside OUTSIDE of Chiraq even if their drill station is in the metro hive. NCOs and Officers, in particular, frequently don't even reside in the same STATE. They drill wherever then can get a slot at their grade/MOS. This was not the case when the hippies were having the isolated riots during the doper years.

Calling units out for "civil disturbance"/riot duty, when the entire nation is in turmoil, the Gov be disappointed with "unexpected" difficulties with leadership making it in. The troops joined to defend the nation and to serve their communities. NOT to disciple the uncivilized zombies of the inner city cesspools.
Law Enforcement is 90% knowing laws and procedures and very carefully navigating them. A NG soldier would have absolutely no idea how to handle a theft report, let alone how to conduct interviews and interrogations, collect evidence, book and process, issue a court summons, etc.

National Guard don't police. They assist police. They are assigned to provide physical security backup for an officer and they act under the authority of that officer. They have no law enforcement authority. They can't function as it relates to the criminal justice system.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts

I always hear that... it is not HARD to get a pistol permit to own, it is hard to get a carry permit - it was an 8 page form when I lived on LI. However, I have always owned a hunting bow and xbow.

My xbow will go through kevlar.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
So, what you're saying is there's a sliver lining in all this? :D:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts