Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next month, I'm going to be shopping for a decent-quality AK. I'm not interested whatsoever in Romanians. It has to be legal for NY, which means no flash hider or bayonet lug. This makes me think I should look for a MAK-90. How is the quality on them? My other option is to go to a local FFL builder and maybe get a semicustom Bulgarian. What are you guys' thoughts?

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Try a Saiga, NY legal and cheap, excellent quality, among the most accurate and reliable of the AK family, made in Russia by the Izhmash factory that builds russian mil AKs.

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
+1 on the Saiga. If you want a more hard core AK appearance, conversion is very straightforward. I am currently finishing a x39 conversion. Mine functions flawlessly with NY legal pre-ban Hungarian mags and I have not yet installed a bullet guide. If you decide to go this route, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly supply any info and assistance that I can.
vorpal

p.s. The last time that I checked, Herb Phillipsons had Saigas in stock and a Black Friday 10% discount on all firearms.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The Mak 90s were very good guns. imported by China SPorts in the late 89s and early 90s. I would take one today. Do you have round capacity restrictions for you magazines? I know some states have a 10 round max still in place.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
+1 on the Saiga. If you want a more hard core AK appearance, conversion is very straightforward. I am currently finishing a x39 conversion. Mine functions flawlessly with NY legal pre-ban Hungarian mags and I have not yet installed a bullet guide. If you decide to go this route, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly supply any info and assistance that I can.
vorpal

p.s. The last time that I checked, Herb Phillipsons had Saigas in stock and a Black Friday 10% discount on all firearms.
ive never seen a saiga at herb's!!!! how much are they getting for them?

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
Grinnan Barrett,
Capacity is limited to 10 rounds if the mag was manufactured after September 1994. Preban mags of any capacity are legal. Preban mags are legal to use in postban rifles.

trixie,
Saiga .308s were $500, .223s were $310, 12s were $549, 20s were $449. Those prices were from 10 days ago at the Watertown store.

vorpal

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
MAK's (And Polytech) are THE Gold Standard by which AK's are Judged.

Maadi's arn't bad ether but they have a chepo paint job on them...

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I would get a Saiga x39 but i heard they can't use AK mags. Can you convert them and is it hard?

Post-ban magazines in NY are limited to 10 rounds. Fortunately, the commies made a buttload of prebans during the cold war for some reason :p

The thing I like about MAK-90s are that they can be shipped to NY (ie no over the border hijinks) cost about $500 on gunbroker

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
My Saiga x39 functions perfectly with both 20 and 30 round Hungarian mags. (Both pre-ban, as you noted.) I've made a bullet guide, but have not installed it yet. The "conversion process involves removing a tiny bit of material from the top of the mag catch. (It took longer to type this than the metal removal took.)
vorpal

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
My Saiga x39 functions perfectly with both 20 and 30 round Hungarian mags. (Both pre-ban, as you noted.) I've made a bullet guide, but have not installed it yet. The "conversion process involves removing a tiny bit of material from the top of the mag catch. (It took longer to type this than the metal removal took.)
vorpal
I got a Bullet Guide from this site..Dinzag arms... Work very well and you don't have to do any filling on the Saiga factory mags at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts