Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering: is all the fat that the body stores the same? Or can it be more or less nutritious depending on what you eat?
If you eat a ton of really good-for-you food and get fat from it, (from just over-eating) and then have to live with not much food and burn your fat instead, will you get more out of your fat than if it were fat that got stored from eating a lot of fast-food?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to find an excuse to eat nothing but fast food, (or get fat) LOL. Obviously it's better to eat healthy food for more than one reason. I just think it would be an interesting and possibly useful thing to know.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Good question... I have no clue but would like to see the answers. Although I think the answer would be to just get into shape and rop the extra pounds

·
Registered
929 Posts
It can be more or less, I would assume, because it doesn't distribute equally. For instance, lots of substances(Lead, drugs, heavy metals) build up in the fat cells, and as long as you're not burning fat, they don't hurt you. You can even start burning some fat and they won't hurt you, but as soon as your 'fat barrier' burns down to a certain point(Where they are stored), you start getting sick.

I try to imagine fat, not as pockets of different things, but as strata layered equally throughout the body. It might not be wholly true, but its application to the thinking process works a little better :) I find.

Edited: But your body absorbs most minerals and nutrients on their first pass-through, so fat will only have limited amounts of stored nutrients, if any. (I suspect fat built up from vegetable matter will allow you to live longer without eating than the empty calories of a McPukebucket :) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
The nutritional composition of your bodyfat is going to depend on your genetics and dietary history. I would make the judgement that the majority of Americans are going to have a much higher storage rate of omega 6 and saturated fats moreso than mono and polyunsaturated fats or omega3, simply due to the nature of our agriculture. (the former grouping also being hard to mobilize making omega3 unsaturates crucial to your diet, imho more 'essential' than the other essential fatty acids). Fish oil 3-6 grams/day is plenty.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1183590

An in depth search can be done on google or pubmed.gov searching for a combination of 'human adipose composition' and limiting your results to human studies :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts