Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'd like to introduce myself. Always been interested in survivalism/hiking/camping/guns/history/science etc. I have a few questions and this looks like a great forum.

1. I live in NE PA...say a nuclear warhead goes off in New York, Philly, DC, or a combination of all of them. I am fairly close to all of them. How would my area be effected...NY is 4 hours away, Philly is 2 and a half hours away and DC is farther. How could one avoid radiation? How long would it take to be out of the rain/wind.

2. What is the best water purifier out there? Basically interested in one that is easy, cheap, and will work in any quality of water for a good amount of time.

These are my biggest questions. I am fairly confident in scrounging for food/defending/finding shelter. Those 2 scare me though, also...chemical and biological weapons too.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Get Kearney's book free online. Cresson Kearney literally wrote the book on Nuclear War Survival Skills. download and read it. Knowledge is your best friend.

http://www.oism.org/nwss/

Water Filters are another thing. Most people in this forum tend to go with the SWiss Filters from Katadyne. I have 4 of them. I have used them overseas for years. Great filters. There are others and I am sure some of my brothers will bring them into the conversation.

there are other books on fall out patterns. Remember primary targets were est during the cold war. Things have changed since then. A lot of the old Missile silos have been turned into giant water filled caves. You are right to believe that the major metro areas will be primary targets should an all out war start. Don't forget the suitcase nuke possiblity with terrorists.

Take care and prepare now. GB

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
well to avoid the radiation u need to get underground the deeper the better as i also live in NEPA the best thing u can do is get into the lowest part of the house (Basement) and prey for the best...I myself am working on a ,i guess u can call it a panic room where i will store all my preps and make room to hunker down in come that time ...nukes goin off are the least of my worrys i would worry about dirty bombs , bio or chem attacks another thing u can do is have NBC gear to help protect u during an attack ...thats the best u can do around here ...
as for the best water pur. thats comes down to what u want it to do ...i myself use a Katadyn hiker ....works great for what i want it to do it's not a pur. it's just a filter ....but i never got sick and if i feel the water is not drinkable after i filter it i can always use aquamaria tabs to kills off the rest ...

honesty do u want to rely on looking for food...or hoping u can find some.....look at it this way...rather have some stored away tha worrying about getting shot at stealing it....just something to think about

and welcome ...anything i can help u with...just ask

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check out that book and these filters. I kind of figured going underground would be the thing to do. I'll have to check out that book.

BBA, I'm not far from Orwigsburg at all, good to hear from you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts