Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The White House has warned state and local governments not to expect a "significant federal response" at the scene of a terrorist nuclear attack for 24 to 72 hours after the blast, according to a planning guide.

President Obama told delegates from 47 nations at the Nuclear Security Summit on Tuesday that it would be a "catastrophe for the world" if al-Qaeda or another terrorist group got a nuclear device, because so many lives would be lost and it would be so hard to mitigate damage from the blast.

A 10-kiloton nuclear explosion would level buildings within half a mile of ground zero, generate 900-mph winds, bathe the landscape with radiation and produce a plume of fallout that would drift for hundreds of miles, the guide says. It was posted on the Internet and sent to local officials.

The document is designed to help local officials craft plans for responding to a nuclear blast. The prospect is anything but far-fetched, says Rick Nelson of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "Do I think in my lifetime I'll see the detonation of a nuclear device? I do."

One challenge he says, will be to persuade survivors to stay indoors, shielded from dangerous radiation until they're given the all-clear or told to evacuate. "In all likelihood, families will be separated," he says. "It's going to be scary to sit tight, though it's the right thing to do."

The government's planning scenarios envision a terrorist strike in an urban area with a 10-kiloton device, slightly smaller than the roughly 15-kiloton Hiroshima bomb. A 10-kiloton device packs the punch of 10,000 tons of TNT.

The chaos that would inevitably follow such a blast would make it difficult for the federal government to react quickly. "Emergency response is principally a local function," the document says, though "federal assistance will be mobilized as rapidly as possible."

The "Planning Guidance for Response to a Nuclear Detonation" was developed by a task force headed by the White House Homeland Security Council. It was circulated to state and local government officials and first responders in January 2009.

The report has never been formally released to the public, White House spokesman Nick Shapiro says.

It offers practical guidance to first responders and advice on radiation measurement and decontamination.

Disaster experts say local governments aren't prepared for a nuclear attack. "There isn't a single American city, in my estimation, that has sufficient plans for a nuclear terrorist event," says Irwin Redlener of Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

The message for families is simple, he says: Stay put. Wait for instructions. If you've been outside, dust off, change, shower. "What citizens need to know fits on a wallet-sized card," Redlener says. "A limited amount of information would save tens of thousands of people."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-04-13-nuke-plans_N.htm

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
It's the same message the Bush WH started putting out after Katrina. It became clear after Katrina that most people expected to be rescued immediately after a disaster.

The gubment's been trying to adjust the population's expectations to something more realistic. It makes sense no matter who's in the WH.
The problem is, a lot of people don't hear the message, or believe it. They're still under the impression that the Government will roll in to save them, despite repeated warnings that it will not.

·
Stack It Deep.
649 Posts
Is anyone surprised at this? This is old news. Maybe it is new news to boneheads with heads in the sand, but preppers knew this decades ago, and veterans have known it since they served.

FEMA and govt have written plans in place, supported by the Patriot Act, to take care of government prior to assisting the people. If anyone is really surprised by this, please PM me so I can PM you back a b!tch slap. The govt has its own people to take care of, before the citizenry. Do the math.

Prep for yourself, or don't come knocking on my door asking for anything.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Got'cha beat: 3.5mi from White House, day and night!

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
Good web site. A ground burst 10 kiloton device would kill a million Washingtonians but wouldn't reach me. In fact 100 KT wouldn't either. Prevailing winds would carry any fallout over southern MD to the Atlantic.

I guess a terrorist nuke would most likely be a ground burst, though an air burst would be far more effective.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
You do know that the government scrapped the enitre civil defense plans about 35 years back...?

Reason being there would be no method or way to evacuate a large metro area in the event of an attack... so basically folks we are all on our own...

walk around in your general area of your town and see how many old civil defense areas there still are...Boise used to have near to 50 back when the population was about 50 thousand people... Now those same areas are either cloesed off with nothing in them, or they are full of some offices documents and trash...

We are on our own...

·
Registered
822 Posts
In our CERT training and local police anti terrorist training, we found out a long time ago that we are on our own even in a limited situation.

In the case of a bus bombing with 20 casualties and the possibility of chemical or biological agents, the injured will be on their own until the state NBC unit can get there and set up a decontamination unit.

That could take several hours. Thats Hours.

How many of the injured will die in three hours?

How many of the walking wounded will sit there for 3 hours waiting for help while looking at the police and ambulances just 300 yards away?

What are the police going to do when the walking wounded start walking towards them? The site needs to be contained. How will they contain it?
What level of force will they need to use.

What if the number of casualties are 200, or 2000?

You are on your own until the situation can be contained, and in many cases, that will mean you or others will die waiting for help.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
You do know that the government scrapped the enitre civil defense plans about 35 years back...?

Reason being there would be no method or way to evacuate a large metro area in the event of an attack... so basically folks we are all on our own...

walk around in your general area of your town and see how many old civil defense areas there still are...Boise used to have near to 50 back when the population was about 50 thousand people... Now those same areas are either cloesed off with nothing in them, or they are full of some offices documents and trash...

We are on our own...
Many of the old civil defense places still exist. We've got one at work and the 55 gallon drums of peanut butter and crackers are still there. Couple of the drums look kinda rusty.:rolleyes:

Even the idea of the old system was more to give society a sense of the government trying to do something, though it was our own government that was creating the causes of fear. Much like the old air raid drills in school and diving under the wooden desks.

My favorite was the 12 steps in case of an NBC attack they had posted on the wall of the Navy ship. Some wise person added a 13th step; bend over and kiss your *ss goodbye. I was always one of the casualties in the drills since we didn't have any respirators down in the engineering holes. I'd spend the time flopping around on the floor, trying to froth at the mouth before dying. I pretty much assumed everyone would be dead since there really wasn't sufficient supplies to keep anyone alive for more then a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.