Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had heard and/or tasted nu manna foods. I have and with a bit of salt they taste great! Plus they're gmo free, soy free, canola oil free (except for the granola), and if you want, they have a vegetarian diet, though for me, the day I turn vegetarian is the day meat CANNOT be found.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Formed in 2011. Right at the start of the latest prepper fad.

They also boldly pitch their no GMO/soy/gluten/HFCS/canola/etc to boost their price point and cater to the most panicky types

They hide their physical address because it is likely a small warehouse in an industrial center, instead of a food packing facility.

Chances are this company does nothing other than buy food from food packers and relabel them.

They are just a middleman who's only organically produced product is fear.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,723 Posts

They also boldly pitch their no GMO/soy/gluten/HFCS/canola/etc to boost their price point and cater to the most panicky types

They hide their physical address because it is likely a small warehouse in an industrial center, instead of a food packing facility.

Chances are this company does nothing other than buy food from food packers and relabel them.

I would bet they are trying to sucker the religious preppers into thinking their product is superior because it's 'manna'

·
Registered
121 Posts
Their business address is a single family home in Oram, Ut in case anyone is wondering. And good luck asking questions. I was curious when someone with 2 posts started posting on another site I frequent a couple of years ago expounding the wonders of their product and how everyone should order from them. I emailed them in 2013 about calories and other questions I had. Received a fairly snippy email back saying their food is certified and this and that. I pushed a little harder just to see what they would say so I said I lived in Provo and would like to come up and place a bulk order. Was sent a 2nd snippy email back saying they don't offer tours and a link to their website.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
......they don't offer tours.......
Almost any true food packer has spent millions investing in their facility and are pridefully happy to at least show you pictures of it.

Message MH and ask to see some facility pictures sometime. Or Auguson Farms for that matter.

There are honest middleman brokers out there but again there is an aspect of pride at being skilled brokers able to find good product from hard to get sources. These kinds of companies tend to focus on their wide ranging selections and don't talk about themselves other than saying they hunt for good values, ship fast, and have excellent customer service, because they know what the proper role an good middleman should be.

Be they farms, food packers, or middlemen they all have their place and good ones have no trouble being what they really are. When you see blurred lines or hidden origins you should hesitate. Any place that won't put their physical address on display is good reason to balk.

One other big point to note is that many of the best food suppliers don't wrap their entire existence around prepping. The grow, pack, or broker food to a wide array of customer types and if preppers went away they would still be in business.

There are a few decent companies that are primarily focused on preppers, but they have been doing this so long they date to a time before the recent craze. Likely they would suffer if the current prepper craze stopped, but they've been there in the lean days and will muddle through somehow with professionalism like they did before. They also don't hang their hat on any one brand either. These companies are EpicCenter, Nitro-Pak, SafeCastle, USA Emergency and EE. They all got started around Y2K era. They were the survivors of that craze period too and were the ones left standing when the rest of the posers failed. Ask me in 2020 about this vast new crop of emergency sellers and I'll simply point to the ones that held on due to quality and professionalism.

Reactions: Stu2

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why take the risk?

As been said in other posts plenty of long established, tried and tested company's well known for qualiy of product and packing and customer service.

There is a whole sticky at top of this forum with a long list of company's all recommended by members of this forum with experiance of dealing with them.

Also lets be real it's your hard earned $$ and your family's welfare we are talking about. I don't want to be opening no tin in a situation in 10 years and finding out some company cheaped out on the packing IMHO.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I love all the "No GMO" nonsense filling the Internet -- farmers had been genetically modifying organisms for hundreds of years before Gergor Mendel applied a little bit of scientific observation to explain what they were already doing.

The newest techniques being called GMO different techniques, but the results are basically the same.

There isn't any truly "natural" food product (animal or vegetable) left in North America or Europe.

·
Eclectic
1,893 Posts
I love all the "No GMO" nonsense filling the Internet -- farmers had been genetically modifying organisms for hundreds of years before Gergor Mendel applied a little bit of scientific observation to explain what they were already doing.

The newest techniques being called GMO different techniques, but the results are basically the same.

There isn't any truly "natural" food product (animal or vegetable) left in North America or Europe.
I don't think you understand what GMO is. farmers have NOT been genetically modifying organisms for hundreds of years. Farmers HAVE been hybridizing plants for hundreds of years, but that is a whole different animal than GMO.

Genetically modified foods or GM foods, also genetically engineered foods, are foods produced from organisms that have had changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering. Genetic engineering techniques allow for the introduction of new traits as well as greater control over traits than previous methods such as selective breeding and mutation breeding.

Commercial sale of genetically modified foods began in 1994, when Calgene first marketed its Flavr Savr delayed-ripening tomato.

In 2015, 92% of corn, 94% of soybeans, and 94% of cotton produced in the US were genetically modified.

Currently, more than 30 countries ban the sale of GMO foods.

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There's a difference between mixing two breeds to creat a hybrid (like mixing horse and donkey to get a mule), its another thing to mix two different kinds (putting fish genes in strawberries to make them survive the winter) that God and nature never intended.

·
Banned
563 Posts

You've probably already figured out that if you use google earth to look at the street address listed in the whois for the web site it shows up as a house abutting a golf course...

·
Storyteller
2,709 Posts
You've probably already figured out that if you use google earth to look at the street address listed in the whois for the web site it shows up as a house abutting a golf course...
Actually, a lot of these Utah based 'food companies' don't even handle the product. They take your order, take their cut and have the real producer do something called a drop shipment to you.

No inventory, no inventory taxes, no need for storage, no shipping department, no pesky employees and related taxes....looks like a real win for someone - and that someone ain't you.

If you do find an impressive looking building, dig a bit more. Several of these outfits use so-called virtual offices. Basically, they rent space when they need it, and have a telephone that forwards to their house. All legal. And a good indicator of what you can expect if the order gets screwed up or you need something as old-fashioned as customer service.

If they do business in the State of Utah, they must have a business license and that is a public record....all kinds of fun data to be found there

·
Registered
594 Posts
Once again, the problem is getting enough protein. Nu Manna has no nutritional listing about their products that i can find online. Pretty suspicious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts