Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a report found that 38 speed cameras across NSW provided no significant road safety benefit, the NSW Government accused the Roads and Traffic Authority of revenue raising (hellooo!) and ordered those particular cameras down.

Of course, they'll be relocated/redeployed, but at least they've been shut down for now.

Source:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...for-more-revenue/story-e6freuy9-1226102281369

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Politicians using logic and/or common sence?? it cant be... some Libertarians must have infiltrated, quick, lets start a witch hunt...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
the only way (well IMHO) cameras can save lives is to alter the fine rate for speeding.

First offence $500
2nd offence $1000
3rd offence $2000
4th offence $4000
5th offence $8000
and so on.

Yeah I coulda just about paid of the national debt if itd been that way since I left school...

No, I'm not advocating it go this route but the point is, if you want a change in behaviour, the thing has to change behaviour.

I think the fines are set in a way to manage the income stream...cop a small fine, get ****ed off and be vigilant for a fortnight and before the year is out maybe get pinged again.

They're a cash cow pure and simple to me, its all about margin and turnover. Smaller margin, large turnover. make a Massive Margin on each photo, eventually the turnover will plummet

:D::D:

·
Just plain snarky.
5,967 Posts
A couple of the ones listed to go are already physically gone due to roadworks. I think the Alstonville NSW one could be one of them- they finally finished the bypass.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Politicians using logic and/or common sence?? it cant be... some Libertarians must have infiltrated, quick, lets start a witch hunt...
If a QLD polly made an ironclad promise to remove clandestine speed cameras from our roads, and to ensure that mobile cameras are sited as per the regulations (i.e. the sign should be aligned as to be visable by motorist) I'd actually cast a vote for the first time in my life! I'd also like them to be manned by public servants, and all revinue raised to be put back into the Emergency Service budget, not to go to consolidated revenue. More Coppers on patrol should be the goal!

(psst by the way, if your spelling sense with a c your spending too much time on the net, sense has two esses:D:, it only has a c in cyberspace)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts