Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have had a idea. We in ham radio have no shortage of emergancy comunication groups. skywarm, races ext. but in a shtf or civil war situation they would be swamped and probley devoting most of their recorces to the government. So how about starting our own group. We could have a set calling freq. and regular nets. I guess my vision is for a survival group in california, to be able to pass a message to a group in kansas, or a freedome fighter comander can get a "we need help" message to his alies, ext. We allways talk about ham radio for survival, but do we actually put anything in place. We need a group!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Joel, take a bow son, that is a great idea, I don't have a radio Ham myself but none the less, it's a great idea. I hope you fellow Ham's offer Joel support.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hf or 6 meters. i would say probably 10 meters, so the tec class ppl can join in. If we have enough ppl it would be no problem to pass a message any where in the country

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
When I have the spare cash and the space, I'd be interested in learning how to use a ham/CB radio as well. I would also appreciate any advice on where to look and what to look for in terms of entry-level gear.

Definitely think a survival net is a good idea. I assumed a network like that was already out there. Maybe militia groups do it? Just friendly advice... I hear the word "tactical" bandied around a lot, and I don't know if it may obfuscate the intended purpose of the network. Is it intended more as an information/news resource for survivalists? Or, is it a network for militia groups who want to coordinate an uprising? The latter would be immediately subject to government scrutiny...

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok do you guys think we should start our own website to help get the word out? So we need sugestions on a name, and a place and time. i am thinking 10m since i am only a tec for now. any input would be great. by the way ecolink is a great place for ppl without radios.

·
Registered
525 Posts
survey

Doing some surveys first to see if we could pick a band, and mode, that will work for conditions and match the equipment we have would help. Since their are members all over the globe, and spread out across the country, there would have to be several nets/bands to have the coverage.

How about starting a new post here in this section to ask the question, how many would participate if we found the perfect time, frequency,mode etc. If it was a perfect match would you participate. If there are only 5 of us it might be better to do individual contacts. But we could start from there.

Next a post to see if we can do it with one net or multiple nets since we are spread out geographically. maybe we just answer this question with the zone number from our call signs.

Now the hard part, what bands could work for coverage and license privileges.

What do you think???

·
Registered
525 Posts
another thought

I would favor having our own survivalistboards net, rather than opening up just another net to the world.

I think there is already a national emergency net or words similar to your suggested name.

There are a zillion nets out there already, and our net should probably best conform to our wants and needs at first anyway. Maybe that is another survey to know what we would want the net to do. I am sure you have participated in open nets before and they typically get out of control, and drift into areas other than the original stated topic.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Ideas, I am thinking as instead of just a net we actually start a orginization such as races. We have a set calling freq that members monitor for trafic as much as possible, and when shtf we leave our radios set to that freq. In order to keep the focus on survival have a semi closed net where we call members first,then oppen it to checkins. In theory if we have enough members listening to the same freq we can get any message to any group despite band conditions, i would hink the 10 meter band would work well since any ham can transmit on it. If we get big enough we can have local 2m groups allso. If we got the membership to a good level i would like to try to see if we could pass a message from a set person on the east coast to a set person on the west coast, we might have to relay a few times, but it should work. I guess the first thing would be to start taking members than work on bands, freq,and times. I think this idea has some real poential. Think about it it would be like a post apacoliptic internet. well we need ideas for a good name. any sugestions?

·
Registered
525 Posts
similar but different

I think I will start a separate thread about the national traffic system, so non hams have a better chance to notice the post, and it will separate that thought from the net discussion here.

One of the best ways to pass short emergency messages is to utilize that service. IT beats recreating the wheel, and allows hams to contact non-hams, etc.

The net being considered here would be the better forum to exchange extended discussions between other hams. The NTS is better at handling short health and welfare traffic.

·
Registered
525 Posts
comments

The plan sounds way too ambitious for starters. I do hope there will eventually be a net of some sort, in operation, but am not sure there are enough interested to kick off a schedule, time will tell. There was an attempt to set up a schedule several months ago, nothing came of it.

You wont be able to form a group like RACES. RACES is coded into the FCC rules and regulations, you wont be able to (legally) compete with them on the air. In an emergency, RACES members will be the ONLY authorized people on the ham bands, according to the rules and regs. Having said that, in a post SHTF scenario there may not be an FCC, don't know.

10 meters would be a good band if the solar flux would support propagation on that band, currently the flux is about 70 if I remember correctly. 10 meters usually takes a flux number over 100 to get it percolating. We are in that part of the solar cycle that makes 10 meters very questionable.

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
i can make a site but some one else will have to up date it ( im grounded)

Reactions: Hilda

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
site isnt a prob, I am actually working on one as we speak when i get it up i will send the link to you for some helpfull critasizm

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
well ok darn i wanted to make a site ..... hey why not have a site for each state?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts