Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my very first gun class today. Now I know what all you folks are talking about. It's fun!! Can't wait to purchase my first gun. have to install the gunvault safe first (we have little ones at home)....then I have to figure out which handgun to get. I know that I definitely do not care for revolvers, so it's semi-auto for me.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Mom2bugnbooboo,

Awesome, welcome to the shooting fraternity.

As far as picking a gun, I worked in a gun shop in college, spent 29 years carrying one.

Check out several gun shops and tell the sales person you are looking and want to handle several. Find a gun that fits your hand. Make sure you can work the controls without changing your grip. Controls are magazine release, safety, slide release or hammer drop.

With semi-autos, 99% of the malfunctions relate to improper grip. Then find the caliber you want. Most, if not all, major gun makers offer several calibers for the same frame. Then look at shooting a few. A range should be able to rent you a couple.

After that, practice, practice, practice.

If possible support at least one gun organization, your state association, National Rifle Association or Gun Owners of America. They all work to protect your 2A Rights

Again, welcome to the club.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Congratulations on joining the fraternity of citizens who know they must take an active role in their self protection.

I agree with everything that SgtBooker has stated above.

Over time, I would suggest that you find reputable tactical trainers in your area and that you take classes.

I know that sometimes this can be intimidating for a beginner, but trust me you'll have a blast.

Many excellent tactical trainers also offer "ladies" classes. They are not any different than the men's classes, but the student body may be less scary... :)

Again, good luck and congratulations on a wise decision...

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I love hearing news like this and welcome. :thumb: An armed society is a polite society, once you get your firearm look into getting your CCL(concealed carry lisence.) remember we've all pretty much been there so feel free to ask whatever question you want but be warned you'll get 30 different answers...lol:D:

Its like shopping for a car, minus the haggling the price is pretty much fixed unless you are friends with the owner or something, anway, shop around go from place to place, look online but get a "feel" for what you like, I say go with comfort and reliability most of the big labels are very reliable. Don't buy a gun off price if it's cheap...it is probably cheap....your life may depend on it!

With that said, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely agree w/the suggestion of getting more training. I plan on it once I purchase a handgun. Some folks here have already given me some good suggestions for reputable trainers in my area and I also got some good suggestions on another website.

This formerly liberal California born-and-raised Clinton-voting lady has now decided to become a member of the NRA! :-D Before I knew anything, I used to think that NRA people were all wacko gun nuts who wanted to blow everybody and everything to kingdom come. I was so totally wrong way back then. Above all else, the class taught about safety, safety, safety. I was very impressed.

Oh...and my sister has expressed an interest in going on a hunting trip some time. Now I need to learn how to shoot a rifle! ROFL. One thing at a time. Before you know it, I'll have one of those massive gun closet/safe things in my closet!

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I definitely agree w/the suggestion of getting more training. I plan on it once I purchase a handgun. Some folks here have already given me some good suggestions for reputable trainers in my area and I also got some good suggestions on another website.

This formerly liberal California born-and-raised Clinton-voting lady has now decided to become a member of the NRA! :-D Before I knew anything, I used to think that NRA people were all wacko gun nuts who wanted to blow everybody and everything to kingdom come. I was so totally wrong way back then. Above all else, the class taught about safety, safety, safety. I was very impressed.

Oh...and my sister has expressed an interest in going on a hunting trip some time. Now I need to learn how to shoot a rifle! ROFL. One thing at a time. Before you know it, I'll have one of those massive gun closet/safe things in my closet!
Welcome aboard! Try to get as many training courses as you can. Each one will help you train to a higher level and work past the bad habits that are easy to develop. Congrats on your newfound knowledge and I'm glad it was a pleasant experience for you!

An armed society is a polite society
You wouldn't think that if you were a gun show dealer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.