Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

he NPS Is Seeking Skilled Volunteers to Help Cull Bison in Grand Canyon National Park
NPS and Arizona Game and Fish are calling on hunters to apply for a historic bison cull in the Grand Canyon this fall

BY JOE GENZEL APRIL 30, 2021

rest at site

·
Storyteller
2,347 Posts
How much $$$ to apply?

How much $$$$$$$ for the permit?

Sorry.

If this was a cull, they would use professionals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tatonka! I’m in.
Last months Az. Fish & Game paid a minimum of $30.00 for every Brown taken from Lee’s Ferry. And no limit! I’ve died and gone to heaven.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much $$$ to apply?

How much $$$$$$$ for the permit?

Sorry.

If this was a cull, they would use professionals.

NO FEES or permits
$65 to pay for the criminal check
that is it if I read the article correctly

You have to pay professionals
hunters will do it for free.

Park services have caught a lot of flack over the years paying money out for people to do things like this when you can find thousands who would do it for free and who have the same skills.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I looked into it. Non lead ammo requirement. Got that covered. What to do with the caracas? That is a lot of meat. I'll do the drawing and if I win, the hunt is this fall so will empty a freezer. So, 30-06 or 7mm mag? If I get to hunt, I'll see what shoots best.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Did my app. today. The native american thing is interesting. You do know that the majority of indians did not hunt buffalo? The east coast indians were rather good farmers. West coast indians were scroungers. Now the big question, if drawn which rifle? 45-70 with a little 250 gr barnes projectile? 30-06 with a 130 gr barnes? 7mm mag 140 gr. barnes? Remember this is a lead free hunt.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did my app. today. The native american thing is interesting. You do know that the majority of indians did not hunt buffalo? The east coast indians were rather good farmers. West coast indians were scroungers. Now the big question, if drawn which rifle? 45-70 with a little 250 gr barnes projectile? 30-06 with a 130 gr barnes? 7mm mag 140 gr. barnes? Remember this is a lead free hunt.
45-70..

anything less would be disrespectful to the buffalo...
How would you like to be a ton of buffalo and then get shot with a weeny 7mm?
You might just really tick him off...😁

Reactions: HappyinID

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
45-70..

anything less would be disrespectful to the buffalo...
How would you like to be a ton of buffalo and then get shot with a weeny 7mm?
You might just really tick him off...😁
If I could use a cast projectile in 340 or 405 grs. the 45-70 would win. I'll sight in the 45-70 with the barnes projectiles. My 45-70 is not your average rifle. It is a siamese mauser action with a Shaw 458 barrel. 19" with a faster twist than the average 45-70. I tend to march to a different drum

·
Over and Out
3,825 Posts
..45-70 with a little 250 gr barnes projectile? ...Remember this is a lead free hunt.
Lehigh or Underwood 225 gr 'Xtreme Penetrators' in copper?

..at 2700+ fps, I should think the thick hides / bones would help these 'open up' nicely.. Regardless, they punch Insanely hard, and leave a wound-channel (in 'test meat-subjects', anyway..) that's jaw-dropping... (y)

Wish I could 'ride shotgun' with my X, I'd Love to go on this.. :cool:

jd

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Lehigh or Underwood 225 gr 'Xtreme Penetrators' in copper?

..at 2700+ fps, I should think the thick hides / bones would help these 'open up' nicely.. Regardless, they punch Insanely hard, and leave a wound-channel (in 'test meat-subjects', anyway..) that's jaw-dropping... (y)

Wish I could 'ride shotgun' with my X, I'd Love to go on this.. :cool:

jd
go to the site and put in an application. Not sure if Monday or Tuesday is the last day to apply. Very short window. Info on national parks site

·
Hunter/Survivor
1,073 Posts
I just want to say that a few years back my brother hunted a Buffalo and used his Ruger 30-06 mountain gun. Although I don't know what grain bullets he used I do know he had to shoot it 3 times and all 3 were well placed shots at about 200 yds. My point is, go Big on the rifle you use hunt them with. Btw, Buffalo/Bison ribeyes beat any high quality beef steak every time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just want to say that a few years back my brother hunted a Buffalo and used his Ruger 30-06 mountain gun. Although I don't know what grain bullets he used I do know he had to shoot it 3 times and all 3 were well placed shots at about 200 yds. My point is, go Big on the rifle you use hunt them with. Btw, Buffalo/Bison ribeyes beat any high quality beef steak every time.
Yes they do! We had an employee whose family raised them. Fortunate to get a few cuts at Christmas. No comparison, leave they beef for the dogs.
A great read that contains feasting on Bison is Ruxton of the Rockies. Co. trapper in the 1830’s dealing w/ the Utes and survival in general. Street in Manitou Springs bears his name,

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I saw something on the internet that over 40,000 people applied for the hunt. enviromentalists were throwing temper tantrums. things could get ugly for the hunters

1 - 20 of 27 Posts