Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many pairs do you have?

What kind?

I know this has been mentioned as part of a lot of BOB's etc.. But how are you set for long term?

Wool
Leather/lined and unlined
Latex
Nitrile
Heavy surgical
Chemical/pesticide resistant
cotton
gardening
mechanics
neoprene
fingerless for working with small items
cut proof when working with knives
insulated gloves(too many kinds to list)
waterproof
mittens/ glomitts

You see where i'm going. Might not be a bad idea to numerous pairs and kinds.My Dad was a chemical worker, and they went through a pair a day. He would regulary bring home grocery bags/boxes full. :) We were never without gloves when I was a kid on the farm. No that I don't have this supply/surplus, I realize what I had.:eek::

Pick up some gloves this weekend. You'll be glad you did. When was the last time you wish you had a pair and didn't. Any time I buy gloves or mittens for the kids, I get an extra pair. They always come up missing.:mad:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you could look at conducting a poll. "Is it always your left or right hand glove that goes missing"
Here, my wife has accumulated at least a dozen assorted half pairs of gloves, always the left ones!
I, on the other hand (sorry for that) have a variety of right hand gloves that do not match any of the left hand ones!
We all know of the sock monster that lives in the dryer and eats just one sock of each pair but where does the glove muncher lurk?

·
Registered
538 Posts
i have:
wool blend gloves for daily wear
leather insulated gloves
latex dipped knit gloves (insulated and non)
fingerless and fingerless/mitten gloves
many pairs of mis-matched jersey gloves
rubber "get yer hands dirty" gloves that come in handy sometimes.
a lot of latex and vinal exam gloves

i really need to get a good pair of winter waterproof insulated gloves also.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,260 Posts
LOTS of nitrile
surgical gloves
liners, silk and poly
work gloves of various weights, assigned different chores like gardening, mechanics, heavy labor, etc.
A few insulated gloves in various weights
welding gloves
insulated and non insulated driving gloves
chemical gloves
a few pair of dirt bike and general riding gloves

For the amount of gloves I have, I rarely use them unless I'm welding, handling caustics or doing heavy labor.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
I have a pair of outdoor research gloves for driving and general winter warmth
pair of military trigger finger mittens, more for using the hand for tasks in extreme cold
plastic disposable gloves for the dirty jobs

I need a good pair of leather work gloves any reccomandations???

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I don't get that cold here. Mostly leather Roper gloves and latex gloves to keep hands clean. Long term, a good pair of Wells Lamont gloves last a month or two- about $15
the flea market ones for $3 last about a week. I very seldom wear a pair out - mostly loose them so I get the cheap ones by the dozen and hope you have a pair instead of six lefts an no rights.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Close fit work gloves
Insulated chilly weather gloves
plenty of nirtile and latex gloves
Neoprine gloves for wet working and wet weather- the best mountainering gloves i have owned!
insulated shooting gloves (mittens that fold away into fingerless gloves)
heavily insulated shooting gloves (mittens that fold away into fingerless gloves)
Chem gloves (marigolds!)
latex dipped work gloves.

Thats it i think...

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
I have cold weather leather gloves, which are better for gripping. And heavy duty insulated really cold weather gloves.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
Mechanix gloves are the best all-around glove I've ever used. If you want to use em in very cold temperatures you can get a size larger and use a liner glove. I don't often lose my gloves but they sure get perforated after a year of hard use.

·
dirty vegan hippie
429 Posts
Uuuh.. I have snow gloves (These are great for most things for which I'd need gloves)
buncha latex gloves
some fancy fuzzy gloves (gift..)
annnd...
well that's it.;;;;
But I guess I just need some good leather gloves to feel like my collection is whole.
I hardly ever use gloves, really.

edit: Actually I have some leather I could make some out of, now that I think about it, so I'm set.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
+1 on the Mechanix gloves. Tough and a good grip.

Lots of nitrile and cold weather gloves.

Another pair I keep handy is a pair of welding gloves. Never know when you need to grab something really hot.

·
I have control issues
5,920 Posts
I have several pair of insulated leather gloves for winter (stocked up when Wilson's leather was doing their going out of business clearance, so have a LOT of extras for later on down the road)
Several pair of motorcycle gloves (for both warm and cold weather riding)
Several pair of leather work gloves (including a pair in each of the vehicles' emergency kits)
Several pair of gardening gloves
Several pair of camoflage hunting gloves in varying weights
numerous pair of latex and nitrile exam gloves
10 pair of military trigger finger gloves

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have many gloves but my favorite type, for winter, is the 1938 (I think this is correct) US Military style. These are the Mittens with seperate trigger finger and thumb that allows you to pull those into the main finger area and warm them all up. They have leather palms and heavy wool inserts.

We do the snow removal for our own property at work, a job that can take up to two days with a payloader, skid loader, and 7 or 8 guys with shovels. They guys allways laugh at my gloves in the morning. By 4pm when I'm still plugging away with warm hands and they are trying to thaw out frozen fingers no one is laughing.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
I have many gloves but my favorite type, for winter, is the 1938 (I think this is correct) US Military style. These are the Mittens with seperate trigger finger and thumb that allows you to pull those into the main finger area and warm them all up. They have leather palms and heavy wool inserts.

We do the snow removal for our own property at work, a job that can take up to two days with a payloader, skid loader, and 7 or 8 guys with shovels. They guys allways laugh at my gloves in the morning. By 4pm when I'm still plugging away with warm hands and they are trying to thaw out frozen fingers no one is laughing.
I have a pair of these and this will be the first winter i get to use them.
Its been -40 celcius for about 4 days now, perfect testing weather!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a pair of these and this will be the first winter i get to use them.
Its been -40 celcius for about 4 days now, perfect testing weather!
LOL, no doubt. You'll know for sure how they stand up in seriously cold temps. I hope the work well for you.

I have several pairs. The ones I wear the most are starting to wear on the leather but nothing lasts forever.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I have gloves for every purpose there is...My favorite ones are made from buffalo circa late 1800's...My modern ones are all thinsulate lined and waterPROOF as i get real cold anymore..

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
ask OJ simpson ... he lost his ...

i buy mittens for winther the syntetic ones . i need to learn to make wool stuff :rolleyes:

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,519 Posts
This drives the hubby daft but when I find a good deal on gloves, socks, hats, ear muffs, etc. of any kind I buy at least 6 pairs/sets, whatever.

We have a rubbermaid tub that that stuff gets thrown into right after I write it down on the inventory sheet taped to the inside of the lid. I think we are good. :D:

I worked at a gun range that had some really really really nice wool/synthetic blend socks (the thick ones you wear with your hunting boots). They couldn't sell them for $10 a pair so they marked them down 50%. After adding in my employee discount I wound up paying $2.00 a pair for them. Ehhhhh ... I bought every single sock they had up front and in backstock. :eek:: The guys at the range made unmerciful fun of me. Seriously, I had almost $120.00 in socks ... That was 5 years ago ... we are still wearing the 10 pairs I held out (5 for him and 5 for me) and they are in just as good a shape as the day I brought them home! There are 40 or so pair still in the tub ... :thumb:

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,519 Posts
ask OJ simpson ... he lost his ...

i buy mittens for winther the syntetic ones . i need to learn to make wool stuff :rolleyes:
You would be surprised at how easy it is to do ... especially mittens. Make a hat first. Once you have that down, mittens are the next logical step. Then socks and gloves. Pretty soon you will be knitting your own sweaters. :D:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts