Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scored this Cold Steel Barong, for 15.00 bucks, at a gun show. Finnman said it was good. I'll post a review later.

I also checked out the Pocket Bushman folder. It was 25.00. It has a flat grind, and it should be easy to lay down on a sharpener. Since the handle is made out of a folded piece of stamped steel, it looks like the AK of folding knives. I read some negative stuff about the locking mechanism, but it seemed pretty good to me.

Attachments

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Looks like a good blade to me, what type of lock does it have?
Like the panga aswell, good long blade for those more difficult cutting jobs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
yep, cs barong is really nice blade. Factory grind is just not so good. Grind bevels even and then convex a bit and you will be amazed how it performs and edge will last at least 4 times longer.

3mm thick and very wide blade feels very solid. Being leaf shaped it have really long well cutting curve. I think you will be satisfied that you spend those few bucks for it!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Barong is a 15.00 keeper!

It does not chop as good as my Kabar Kukri. I can't imagine anything that would; except an axe or hatchet. The Barong is lighter and does a good job whacking brush and limbs. Kukri can quickly take down small trees. I think the extra weight and forward curve of the Kukri is the difference.

The Barong would make a better stabbing weapon. It may be a little more knife like, but I'm not sure it does knife type jobs better.

The Barong sheath is very nice, functional, and carries well.

The Kabar sheath needs some rivets or something, because it is splitting at the seams. The blade quickly cuts the stitching. The sheath flops around.

Cold Steel Barong Made in China 15.00
Kabar Kukri Made in Taiwan - 45.00

If I had to chose during SHTF, the Kabar Kukri would go with me. I believe you could push it to it's limits and it will still be there for you. It feels more durable, thicker blade, more ergonomic handle, less prone to causing blisters, you can do much more heavy work with it longer. The sheath needs some works. An empty sheath would be a nightmare.

The Kabar Camp Knife, Cutlass Machete, or the Bowies look pretty good too.
I think I'll Camp Knife looks multifunctional, and may be next in my collection.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts