Survivalist Forum banner

What to buy next

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped. With a new left wing majority government, I have no doubt in my mind that a some point during the next four years an assault on our gun rights will be initiated.

I feel that we all have about a nine month comfort zone from the time that the Big O takes office before any changes take place with a best case scenario of three and half years (depending on his public approval ratings).

So, with a "grace" period of six to nine months, I am trying to figure out what to purchase next.

I have an ar, ak, sks, 12 ga, 10/22, .357 lever action, semi auto 30-06, and an AR 7 in long guns. For pistols-- 9mm, .380 and two .45s

Rifle Magazines-5 30rd for AR, 2 30 rd for AK, 2 5 round for AK, 30rd and 10 rd for SKS, 10/22-one 25 rd and 2 10rd, 1 5 rd for the 30-06.

Pistols--2 15 rd and 2 10 round for the 9mm. The .380 and .45 each have two 7 round mags.

Ammo

.45-- 280
9mm- 385
.380- 100
.357- 57
.22lr 1600+
30-06- 30
12 ga- 210
.223- 310
7.62x39- 420

What should I buy over the next 6 months with about $ 150 a month budget (to include food preps as well)?

Some of the things on my wish list are: a 6.8 spc upper for my AR, another MBR-type gun, a Saiga 12, tactical accessories for both th AR and AK, more hi-cap mags for the 9mm, AK, AR and 10/20. Perhaps even a drum magazine

Should I buy guns? Accessories? Or just be happy with what I have and focus on increasing ammo? I would like to hear thoughts and opinions about this as well as the rationale for your opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL I voted before I saw your list. For me I'm buying a combo of guns and ammo but I don't have many guns. With your list I would buy more ammo. Possibly pick up an extra shotgun or .22 later if you can just in case. Just get lots more ammo and make sure you still have plenty of food stored.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the better part of three months worth of food in the pantry plus a freezer full of game and fish.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but what if there's no electricity?

why not stock up on stuff like this

www.waltonfeed.com

what about water?
Thanks FX, I appreciate the input, but with the possibiliy of a very limited window for guns and ammo purchases, I would like to keep this thread on that topic.

To answer your question about electricity, 1) generator and 2) most of my foods can be cooked on a propane grill.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Thanks FX, I appreciate the input, but with the possibiliy of a very limited window for guns and ammo purchases, I would like to keep this thread on that topic.

To answer your question about electricity, 1) generator and 2) most of my foods can be cooked on a propane grill.
well, I guess I would worry about the most extreme stuff that might be outlawed first. For example stuff that was banned under the previous assault weapon ban.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Its crunch time Highlander.
That means preparations need to be prepped for use. Its part of life to continuously prepare for the next difficulties, but now you need to make sure your preparations aren’t taken away by government/thieves etc.

Also WHAT IS IT WITH YOU GUYS AND .22? THERE IS NO, I REPEAT, NO! STOPPING POWER. YOU KNOW THAT TINY RECOIL IT HAS? THATS THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY IT HAS AS A PROJECTILE i.e. THAT IS WHAT IT WOULD FEEL LIKE TO GET HIT. Its like a sneeze.

You need to sink your money into more bullets for the guns you have got, 7.62x39 & 30-06. Don't bother buying a new 6.8 upper, for which you'll need ammo, or extra food which should be fine. Buy a scope for the AK or AR, if you haven’t got one. You will eventually need a vest with some kind of protection and ammo pouches. But hold off buying it until the 6 month thing is up because its less…essential.

These are the only things likely to be prohibited. Make a cache or 2 for everything except your favourite assault rifle and pistol. Tell your friends where it is, so they may contribute ammo and guns to it. And don't waste ammo on practicing.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both my Ar and ak are scoped. I have a tactical vest that I use when hunting (water bottles in the mag pouches) and I also have a threat level II-A under the clothes vest and two ballistic helmets.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the first thing he'll do is impose a new AWB, this will pass easily and with little controversy. The next step is to simply ban imported ammo, again this is not very controversial will cause little stir from the masses. Based on these two events I would decide on which actions to take. I already have plenty of weapons so for me it's stocking up on more ammo, especially 7.62x39.

·
Banned
317 Posts
In the old days I just to carry less than half the load of ammo that others had and the reason for this is that as soon as one of them went down I would get hold of their ammo.

A fire fight is not a pissing contest where you will be taking turns firing at each other........it could last thiry seconds or ten minutes and if it last longer than that it then could last for ever and that could only mean that you are protecting your castle from invaders.

If you are protecting your castle then use a long rifle bolt action where each bullet counts but keep something else handy in case they decided to storm it.

Not only can you use the ammo of those dead around you but as soon as you can go for it then also for what ever the other side had.

I know that you have seen in the news where the troops lift their weapons above the wall and fire away without aiming at anything... in that case no ammount of ammo will saved you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I WAS going to take issue with the statement from Mr. Smart guy saying not to 'waste' ammo on practicing, but then I saw your current supply of ammo, and changed my mind. You can't afford to waste any ;)

I would suggest getting WAY MORE ammo. You have a semi-auto 30-06 but just 30 rounds?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...Also WHAT IS IT WITH YOU GUYS AND .22? THERE IS NO, I REPEAT, NO! STOPPING POWER. YOU KNOW THAT TINY RECOIL IT HAS? THATS THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY IT HAS AS A PROJECTILE i.e. THAT IS WHAT IT WOULD FEEL LIKE TO GET HIT. Its like a sneeze.
First off you ASSUME the only use of firearms is self-protection. You also may have to hunt small game for the stewpot where a .308 would ruin most of the meat AND let everyone within 2 miles know you're there. A .22 has its place in a survival situation and if you don't have one, you'll wish you did (maybe it's a cultural thing where folks in the UK are not allowed to hunt the Crown's tasty animals:D:)...

Secondly, don't tell all the families of people who've been killed with the lowly .22 that it's totally ineffective.

Thirdly the practice you get with a .22 is, for the most part, directly transferrable to the guns using more expensive, less available ammo.

Finally the .22 will be the last ammo to be taken/denied we peons...

Allan

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I WAS going to take issue with the statement from Mr. Smart guy saying not to 'waste' ammo on practicing, but then I saw your current supply of ammo, and changed my mind. You can't afford to waste any ;)

I would suggest getting WAY MORE ammo. You have a semi-auto 30-06 but just 30 rounds?
The ammo stock I listed is just what I have in my reserve. Whenever I practice shoot, I generaly purchase ammo on or about the day I shoot.

I practice no less than on a quarterly basis (range time) and periodically in the field (******* time). Yesterday, I began teaching my son and daughter (7 & 8) how to shoot (with a 9mm).

I know I am deficient in 5.56 and 7.62x39. Until 11/4, I was just stocking SHTF ammo relatively evenly across the board. I do not consider my 30.06 as a go to SHTF gun nor even my .357. That is why I had not been keeping much of it on hand. But now, all bets are off.

My goal is to have at least 750-1000 rds of AR/AK ammo by January 22 but I have been tempted by some pretty good gun deals lately. So here I am trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Smartguy dont talk about what you don't know.
How much shooting time do you have, all of your gun related posts have been flawed.

Ammo and practice, practice, practice.

T

1 - 20 of 28 Posts