Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well prepared are the northeastern states for hurricane force winds?

According to this page on CNN, hurricane Irene is expected to hit New York city as a category 2 hurricane.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/24/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

For those of you that watched the news when Ike hit Houston, buildings downtown had massive damage to their glass windows.

I feel that climate change is real, but whether its manmade or natural is being debated. As the climate changes, how well will these large cities weather a large storm?

·
Unable to read or comprehend rules.
1,318 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the buildings themselves. Its the lack of power that is dangerous in the cities.. If you remember that power outage that hit the NorthEast a few years back, people couldn't get access to their hotel rooms, certain security protected buildings, and of course there is the issue of sanitation and available food. ...and then there is a storm surge possiblity... But not catastrophic, I think.

...This may all be a moot point anyway... Everytime they update the probable track, the cone of uncertainty is further and further out into the Atlantic. Its too soon to say for sure, but there is a good chance the storm won't hit land as a hurricane at all...

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't be too concerned about the buildings themselves. Its the lack of power that is dangerous in the cities..
I am more worried about the population boom 9 months later.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
If Irene hits NYC as a Cat 3 or more, you can expect Katrina level destruction.

The storm surge would submerge Manhattan along with most of the boroughs.

As for me, we are flying out to Maine this Friday for some white water rafting, hiking and kayak fishing and flying back to Texas on Tuesday. I have a feeling that we may have a return flight cancelled and/or get stuck in Pittsburg for our connecting flight.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
29,950 Posts
The biggest effects will be widespread power outages and damage from fallen trees and branches. While we get the occasional gales and strong storms, we haven't had a hurricane in a very long time. That, combined with the wet weather we've had lately means that a lot of trees that haven't been stressed by hurricane-force winds are going to break or topple.

That, and the risk of people unfamiliar with hurricanes underestimating them.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
After Katrina there seemed to be a "what if" show every other day. As I was recently laughed at by some N.Y.ers, I watched w/ great interest as to what it would do to THEM. It won't be pretty. The last big one almost a hundred years ago wIPED away a huge island off Long Island/ Manhattan. Homes, High-end hotels-GONE. The Patomic in DC would have water up to Lincoln's lap (being that it's all low). The surge would push way inland to Manhattan, leaving wall street under nearly 10 feet of water, while the rest of the area submerged. Subways inundated. Thousands dead. Parts of New Jersey under 10-20 ft. E. and Hudson River turned inot one- GOING through Manhattan The building will act like a funnel waking the winds PICK UP SPEED. This will suck out the glass and whip it @ nearly 200mph. NYers , thinking this would never happen to them, will stand out in the open, until they are struck down.

"The Army Corps has thoroughly mapped what areas could flood. New York Harbor would act like a funnel for an incoming storm surge, and water would have nowhere to go and could be pushed up as high as a 3-story building.

"A major hurricane could push more than 30 feet of storm surge into some parts of New York City," according to the Office of Emergency Management.

The region's major airports are among the locations that could find themselves submerged by the sea. Nursing homes on Coney Island — challenging facilities to evacuate — are at great risk.

New York City has plans in place that, if necessary, would call for evacuations by zones, at the direction of the mayor. [Residents can find their zone here.] The plan focuses on early use of mass transit and discourages evacuation by car. Complicating evacuations is this simple fact: High winds and flooding can precede a major hurricane by hours, bringing a halt to evacuation efforts well before the center of a storm arrives. "
http://www.livescience.com/3820-history-reveals-hurricane-threat-york-city.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060519_hurricanes.html
Long island and surge...http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/38hurricane/storm_surge_maps.html

This one shows the levels of flooding per catagory. I'm afraid this one will be BIG!!!
http://www.good.is/post/how-will-rising-seas-impact-new-york-city/

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Northeast USA and hurricanes
Welcome to our world.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I haven't heard anything about New York preparing for this, if they get hit by a Cat 1 storm with less than 3 days warning, they will not be able to evacuate the city. In fact, it might be safer to not evacuate and just accept that it would be bad conditions and there might be some fatalities.

Could you imagine the traffic? People swimming for it? Let's hope it takes a different course or does not keep some Hurricane level strength as they're predicting.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Originally coming from the environs around NYC, and familiarity with the topography, there MAY be some flooding in the lower areas...The Battery...Wall ST. area, Chinatown (formerly called "THE FUVE POINTS" ala GANGS OF NEW YORK...perhaps some flooding at the former MILITARY OCEAN TERMINAL in BAYONNE. Generally, the area just beyond the Verrazano Narrows.
The city from downtown to about 59th St. are truly CONCRETE CANYONS, so expect teh high winds to be channeled amongst them...with wind eddys and super gusts...all swirling and howling. Probably much more of a threat to Staten Island. Brooklyn and towns along the south shore of Long Island will get hammered...the HAMPTONS...as will the Long Island Sound and Southern Connecticut. Next is BUZZARDS BAY, open seas and beneath of which lies the Nuclear Submarine, THRESHER. Nantucket Island (MOBY ****) is next but historically they're used to this stuff. Martha's Vineyard may become the modern ATLANTIS...with all of the YUPPIES who did not evacuate the island, swept out to sea.

On the PLUS SIDE...the crime rate should be nil...for a while as long as STARBUCKS and INTERNET CAFES are opened. The older, taller buildings are tough...built during the ART-DECO PERIOD of the 30's...the more modern ones...Like AIG/GOLDMAN-SACHS, may not fair as well and be struck by the FIST OF AN ANGRY GOD as were COLLOSSI in ancient times.

BLOOMBERG will deny IRENE entry until the massively increased TOLL FEEs are paid. Really, though, Long Island and Connecticut will get smacked hard.
A lot of the residents probably don't have too much in the way of supplies...BUT THEY HAVE MONEY...LOTS OF IT, and they KNOW that's all they need.

·
Amos 8:11-12
543 Posts
...Could you imagine the traffic?....
The worry we have in western PA is that we are about one tankful of gas from NYC. If there's a major evac the gas stations along the east to west interstates will be sucked dry in a few hours.

When their vehicles start running out of fuel the occupants will begin wandering the countryside. Plus the danger of cars stopped in the middle of the road because the driver couldn't, or didn't pull over to the side. That can cause some major wrecks adding to the blockage of the evac routes.

Not a good scenario for either group, locals or refugees.

I'm surprised that the east coast states have not alerted their national guard units.

Maybe Bloomberg can borrow those unused New Orleans school busses.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There is no evac of NYC that is outside the realm of possibity. Mostly them storms follow the Gulf stream thats 100 miles to the right of NYC.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The last major hurricane to hit Massachusetts was in the early 1950s . Too long ago for most people to remember . It's not something people up here expect or are prepared for .
I expect a lot of last minute panic shoppers getting food , water , flashlights , etc. .

People in the northeast , liberal states are , for the most part , not prepared for anything because of the liberal , nanny state mindset that is prevalent .

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I'm prepared. topping off supplies and battening down things that could blow away today and tomorrow. We generally have winter storms, but hurricanes on the coast aren't unheard of...most folks (for some unknown reason) don't think it can hit here and will wait till the last minute because they have had so many near misses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am west of Philly about twenty miles. I believe this issues is going to be wind and rain. We have had the wetest month on record for August...13"+ of rain. And this morning it is pouring again. Add to this high winds and more rain...and I see a lot of trees going down. This means the electric will go...and maybe for some time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts