Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
note that the town/city, like so many others have continued to suck up tax revenues for years without actually improving and maintaining the aging infrastructure..and now that they have harsh conditions...a time when they least can afford to have systemic failures..that's when they run into trouble.

cities like NYC have been running on century old systems and worse, those systems were designed with headroom..but the city has been running them at 100%, not at 85%.

the average household might have a gallon of water on hand when something like this hits suddenly.

personally - we chose property that has a nice creek, a large almost 2 acre deep pond, an inground 32000 gal pool, a deep well for water and even with all that, I use a berky to filter water and stabilize it into 6 of the blue 6gallon water cans and keep those on hand..and there's always a case of bottled water and about 5 gals of milk jug size (1 gal) water from the store on hand.

nothing more critical than water...both where you dig in as well as being able to bug out with it.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
well they are our neighbors, I hope folks are kind enough to help them out till the water tanks are filled.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
It's reasons like this that planning to fill water storage at the last minute is foolish. The first sign that things are going wrong could easily be the water going out. Water is too important not to have in place ahead of time.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
note that the town/city, like so many others have continued to suck up tax revenues for years without actually improving and maintaining the aging infrastructure..and now that they have harsh conditions...a time when they least can afford to have systemic failures..that's when they run into trouble.

cities like NYC have been running on century old systems and worse, those systems were designed with headroom..but the city has been running them at 100%, not at 85%.

the average household might have a gallon of water on hand when something like this hits suddenly.

personally - we chose property that has a nice creek, a large almost 2 acre deep pond, an inground 32000 gal pool, a deep well for water and even with all that, I use a berky to filter water and stabilize it into 6 of the blue 6gallon water cans and keep those on hand..and there's always a case of bottled water and about 5 gals of milk jug size (1 gal) water from the store on hand.

nothing more critical than water...both where you dig in as well as being able to bug out with it.

This didn't suddenly hit, they went through it last year and the drought has been ongoing since spring. Kinda dumb to be railing on when you've lived through it in the recent past and are not ready for it again. You keep taxes low, you live with the fall out.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
This didn't suddenly hit, they went through it last year and the drought has been ongoing since spring. Kinda dumb to be railing on when you've lived through it in the recent past and are not ready for it again. You keep taxes low, you live with the fall out.
This is not unpredicted?

In that case, these folks are seriously stupid.

To live in a drought-prone area, where you KNOW you will have water shortages on a routine basis, and then to ignore the topic?

·
Registered
989 Posts
near the end of the video, it shows the grandma filling a bathtub with water. If you don't have much water left to drink, doesn't it seem odd that you would be concerned about taking a bath?

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Not bragging because I really didn't plan it in advance, but I live in a place with plenty of water. Don't know what might happen if we get that predicted climate change, though.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I doubt she was filling it to take a bath.

Kemp is a very small town and this drought has most of Texas with water restrictions. I'm not sure who they get their water from but they aren't far from Cedar Creek Lake, s that would be a place to go and haul some water from. Or just to Wal Mart, several of those near by.

Suzanne

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
near the end of the video, it shows the grandma filling a bathtub with water. If you don't have much water left to drink, doesn't it seem odd that you would be concerned about taking a bath?
can someone please give this person a facepalm? I no longer have the mental strength. :xeye:

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
This is not unpredicted?

To live in a drought-prone area, where you KNOW you will have water shortages on a routine basis, and then to ignore the topic?
Yeah, you know, I pay my taxes and bitch about it every election so infrastructure improvements and staff are kept a minimal levels, then **** whine and moan when the unexpected happens and the daily routine is interrupted. They do that here with snow and ice removal. Mostly we never need it so that part of the budget is an easy hit to make who's ever just elected a hero for cutting costs, then a severe ice storm hits and the whole area is shut down for a week and folk are ranting about the government not doing it's job and how could that happen. Then they raise taxes to cover snow removal and the old council are nogood mofo's because they raised taxes. The silliness gets tiring. We should reboot and go back to the 90% tax brackets of the 50's and 60's and do the Kennedy and Reagan thing and all over again. At least the roads will be good and we get a nifty space program.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
This is not unpredicted?

It's not much different than the people who live in hurricane prone areas and have been through them before, yet STILL try to get their supplies at the last minute. Like they did the time before and the time before that, only to get upset when they're sold out yet again.

I'll never understand why people keep doing things the same way, even after they find out that it doesn't work. Only a fool repeats the same mistake, hoping for a different outcome this time. Heck, whenever I find a better or safer way of doing something, I adopt it immediately and never look back.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
It is sad to read a story like in thius small Texas town however...the public at large do not want to pay the cost of maintaining or upgrading infrastructure.

Politicians don't get relected by telling constituents that millions of dollars are needed simply to maintain the old unreliable water and waste water systems we all take for granted.

I am not an absolute expert in the area of utilities but I am the superintendent of a city maintenance effort for our city's water, waste water, and sewer lift stations. Trust me when I say this...everything about this business is extremely expensive. It's a constant battle trying to improve and upgrade...sometimes even keeping what I have functional and reliable. Sometimes daily...my mechanics perform triage on aged, ailing pumping and treatment systems. I'm working hard to maintain and direct our local efforts....but there is never enough money.

Smaller communities have an even harder time like this small Texas town. Some folks have made harsh comments about the condition of this town's systems. My advice is cut them some slack...as the folks maintaining the systems operate on finite budgets and do what they can with what they have.

Infrastructure maintenance is very expensive and every machine wears out at some point. With a 40 year old water treatment system...this town can't even get replacement parts for key machines...I guarantee this. The parts simply aren't manufactured anymore.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
It's not much different than the people who live in hurricane prone areas and have been through them before, yet STILL try to get their supplies at the last minute. Like they did the time before and the time before that, only to get upset when they're sold out yet again.

I'll never understand why people keep doing things the same way, even after they find out that it doesn't work. Only a fool repeats the same mistake, hoping for a different outcome this time. Heck, whenever I find a better or safer way of doing something, I adopt it immediately and never look back.
I agree.

The same could be said for snow. I find it hard to imagine living in the snow belt. I certainly do not mind a bit of cold, but the thought of getting multiple feet of snow just seems crazy to me.

But cold weather or some snow do not stop crops from growing. Not like no water does.

Hurricanes destroy everything. Ouch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wrong Assumption I Believe

You're assuming that she was filling it to take a bath, and I believe your assumption is wrong. Filling your bath tub with water before a water outage or prolonged power outage has been recommended by FEMA and Civil Defense before that for 60+ years. We did it on several occasions while I was growing up and I've done it a few times since being on my own before and since getting married.

·
Grevcon 10
5,794 Posts

MikeK,

This may sound harsh, however people this STUPID deserve what they get for being this STUPID.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There are many cities and towns here in Texas that are close to being on their highest level of water management. I can't think of one that isn't on a water conservation level at the moment. Right now water wells are going dry left and right and I don't mean just backyard wells.
There are several larger cities that are being aggressive in searching for alternate water sources. Most of the smaller towns just don't have the resources. Although, I have to admit that the cost for 4,000 feet of pipe seems high. It must be a large line.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts